What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Is the team list for the CS due out today?

If so, then I imagine the first 17, with a few exceptions, would be our starting side for round 1.

What I expect Mc9 will roll out:
1. Lomax
2. Rava
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. JP
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. Luke
10. Vaughan
11. Tariq
12. Friz
13. Merrin

14. Lawrie
15. Host
16. Ford
17. Either Brittain or Joe

The rest will probably play the second half.

I cant see the likes of Blacker, Clune, Williame even Ramsey etc, getting 1st crack in round 1, barring injuries of course.
I would say this is pretty accurate. If there is one dark horse and the chances are extremely slim our best bet of someone outside the inner sanctum is maybe Wiliame. I also think maybe Sailor will be picked as our backup for Luke with Hunt moving to 9 and Norman moving to 7.

George Dragon

Juniors
Charity Shield squad (alphabetical):
Euan Aitken, Eddie Blacker, Billy Brittain, Adam Clune, Jackson Ford, Tyson Frizell, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jacob Host, Ben Hunt, Tim Lafai, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Issac Luke, Trent Merrin, Corey Norman, Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor, Tariq Sims, Paul Vaughan, Brayden Wiliame

James Graham has again been rested, and will sit on the sidelines alongside the injured Matt Dufty (cheekbone), Cameron McInnes (knee) and Josh Kerr (knee).

Joey Lovodua the only fit top 30 not mentioned
Looks like Brittan and Clune in line for top 30 spots.

lingard

Coach
I saw Norman deliver at the Eels in a game against us. It is our coach who delivers poor instructions / selections. Under Flanagan I believe you would see Norman at 7 and a Hunt / Britain hooker rotation while McInnes is out. I am sure you would also see Aitken and Lafai dropped to CC.

As an eels fan, I have to say Corey Norman is a strange player. very unorthodox style, to start with. Also pretty erratic in terms of his involvement and his influence on a game. At times he can look like S.O.O. material, and at others, well, you just want to replace him with someone else. Strangely, I think he played his best football for Parra when he was number 7 and had to run the whole show himself (because we didn't have a proper five-eight at the time). I reckon he thrives on responsibility and 'goes to sleep' or loses focus when he has a decent halves partner.

Frank Facer

First Grade
As an eels fan, I have to say Corey Norman is a strange player. very unorthodox style, to start with. Also pretty erratic in terms of his involvement and his influence on a game. At times he can look like S.O.O. material, and at others, well, you just want to replace him with someone else. Strangely, I think he played his best football for Parra when he was number 7 and had to run the whole show himself (because we didn't have a proper five-eight at the time). I reckon he thrives on responsibility and 'goes to sleep' or loses focus when he has a decent halves partner.
Great post. I too have been saying that Norman played his best footy when he was playing halfback with Gutho 5/8. Norman took control of the game and looked like one of the best halfbacks in the game. I have been telling everyone that he is a halfback or nothing. I have been saying that Norman should be halfback and given control of the team with Hunt at 5/8 or hooker. I even considered naming him captain, because I like my captain to be a halfback or 5/8 and maybe the captaincy and halfback spot would take his game to another level.

kit66

Bench
Euan Aitken, Eddie Blacker, Billy Brittain, Adam Clune, Jackson Ford, Tyson Frizell, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jacob Host, Ben Hunt, Tim Lafai, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Issac Luke, Trent Merrin, Corey Norman, Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor, Tariq Sims, Paul Vaughan, Brayden Wiliame

James Graham has again been rested, and will sit on the sidelines alongside the injured Matt Dufty (cheekbone), Cameron McInnes (knee) and Josh Kerr (knee).

Not a team to strike fear into their opposition. Very light on in the forwards with one first grade prop, two first grade locks. I'd say Frizell or Host will be thrown in the front row for a while with Blacker on the bench.
Our only hope is to get Clune and Brittain out there again and throw the ball around, will be good to see them both up against the big boys. Brittain looked sharp out of dummy half, taking a few steps left or right with the ball out in front of him before passing ( can slow down a rushing defence ) where a lot of hookers just pass off the ground. Cam Smith jumps out with the ball in both hands like that too, the opposition sits back and waits - will he pass left, right, will he run - gives him time to pick the best option.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Great post. I too have been saying that Norman played his best footy when he was playing halfback with Gutho 5/8. Norman took control of the game and looked like one of the best halfbacks in the game. I have been telling everyone that he is a halfback or nothing. I have been saying that Norman should be halfback and given control of the team with Hunt at 5/8 or hooker. I even considered naming him captain, because I like my captain to be a halfback or 5/8 and maybe the captaincy and halfback spot would take his game to another level.
You even considered naming him captain. Is that you Mary?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Not a team to strike fear into their opposition. Very light on in the forwards with one first grade prop, two first grade locks. I'd say Frizell or Host will be thrown in the front row for a while with Blocker on the bench.
Our only hope is to get Clune and Brittain out there again and throw the ball around, will be good to see them both up against the big boys. Brittain looked sharp out of dummy half, taking a few steps left or right with the ball out in front of him before passing ( can slow down a rushing defence ) where a lot of hookers just pass off the ground. Cam Smith jumps out with the ball in both hands like that too, the opposition sits back and waits - will he pass left, right, will he run - gives him time to pick the best option.

Hey Kit- are we so desperate for props that we've had to ask Steve Roach (aka Blocker) to come out of retirement ?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

At full strength, I thought we would have a chance - our forward pack looked more settled and experienced and traditionally the forwards are where matches are won. Now, it's looking a mismatch- the forward advantage is gone and our backline is likely to be humiliated. Souths by 25+

Overseas dragon

Juniors
At full strength, I thought we would have a chance - our forward pack looked more settled and experienced and traditionally the forwards are where matches are won. Now, it's looking a mismatch- the forward advantage is gone and our backline is likely to be humiliated. Souths by 25+
no no no

kit66

Bench
Hey Kit- are we so desperate for props that we've had to ask Steve Roach (aka Blocker) to come out of retirement ?

Ha, wishful thinking maybe. Fixed. We could use a big dummy like Blocker, just run hard hit hard. Wouldn't mind a clone of his partner Paul Sironen in the team either, one of the best ever.

Not a team to strike fear into their opposition. Very light on in the forwards with one first grade prop, two first grade locks. I'd say Frizell or Host will be thrown in the front row for a while with Blacker on the bench.

Agree, only 11 forwards in the 23 man squad and three of those guys can play centre as well as second row if required.
Where is Lachlan Timm when you need him.
Let's see how big Eddie Blacker goes against the Bunnies pack, go smash em Eddie.