What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bega Trial vs the Eels

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yes but 2 aren’t on those deals even

I will use Kenny as an example. How can him sharing a 2nd half with another hooker be better then longer gametime with lower grade. Still going to have match fitness before round 1

Kenny is comming back from surgery, why burn him totally when playing his first game back. Especially when it's something like an elbow. From what I can gather he is returning earlier than expected. So important that he has an easing in.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
nope impossible these days. New rules don’t allow it

Really. Even last year there was movement within the top 30 during the year. I think your looking for fault.

What is to stop blokes like Hollis playing a full reggies game and on that basis being offered a 2nd tier contract.

Your talking about everything been set in stone. I believe there is a little room for movement.

Kilkenny

Coach
Is Kaide Ellis injured or is there another reason he is not named? A couple of clubs are still sniffing around for some back up forwards. Thought it strange he is not named.

franklin2323

Immortal
Really. Even last year there was movement within the top 30 during the year. I think your looking for fault.

What is to stop blokes like Hollis playing a full reggies game and on that basis being offered a 2nd tier contract.

Your talking about everything been set in stone. I believe there is a little room for movement.

No 2nd tier contracts now. Development squad or fulltime

Kilkenny

Coach
I still have an issue around the fact we dispensed we Egan and Katoa so quickly.

If something happens to Koroisau on the injury front we will be in a world of hurt. Back to square one with an unproven Mitch Kenny and perhaps Tyrone May as our back ups.

We seem to have gone all in to quote a poker phrase with Api and I hope it works for us.

Abacus

Juniors
Need to remember that this trial is doubling as a fundraiser for the Bega area. You don't want to play your Rd 1 starting side longer than you have to, so give them the 1st 20-30 minutes then put them on autograph duties for the 2nd half.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
No 2nd tier contracts now. Development squad or fulltime

I'd forgotten that. I believe there is still room for movement as with what happened in 2019 (within the squad)

These players outside the top 30 + development contracts. Are such players on match payments like in bush footy ?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I still have an issue around the fact we dispensed we Egan and Katoa so quickly.

If something happens to Koroisau on the injury front we will be in a world of hurt. Back to square one with an unproven Mitch Kenny and perhaps Tyrone May as our back ups.

We seem to have gone all in to quote a poker phrase with Api and I hope it works for us.

In my opinion (and in light of the top 30 + development players.) It would been a waste of squad space that could be better used with other players who have more upside.

Kilkenny

Coach
In my opinion (and in light of the top 30 + development players.) It would been a waste of squad space that could be better used with other players who have more upside.

I understand. where you are coming from Alice. Perhaps the clubs brain’s trust will be proven right on this one. There is a fine line balancing the salary cap and making the big decisions on the make up of the clubs top 30. At the end of the day we have gone done a certain path and I truly hope the correct decision has been made. I have been optimistic every year since the early 70’s when I moved to Penrith from Chester Hill so no reason to not be optimistic this season.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I understand. where you are coming from Alice. Perhaps the clubs brain’s trust will be proven right on this one. There is a fine line balancing the salary cap and making the big decisions on the make up of the clubs top 30. At the end of the day we have gone done a certain path and I truly hope the correct decision has been made. I have been optimistic every year since the early 70’s when I moved to Penrith from Chester Hill so no reason to not be optimistic this season.

Like you I chose to be optimistic. It's just the way I think. I'm never over confident and think..........team will be pushovers, because in reality they're not.

It will be a fascinating year. The players I believe that will come into their own this year. May, Leota, To'o, Naden and Crighton. I think Lui will be a good foil for Cleary too. 2020 I believe the team will be Clearys.

Sadly I think Whare and Mansour are perhaps on their last legs. Both good clubman, but the youngins will pass them in 2020 (I kinda hope i'm wrong especially with sauce). But I think father time is ticking quite louadly for both.

Kilkenny

Coach
Like you I chose to be optimistic. It's just the way I think. I'm never over confident and think..........team will be pushovers, because in reality they're not.

It will be a fascinating year. The players I believe that will come into their own this year. May, Leota, To'o, Naden and Crighton. I think Lui will be a good foil for Cleary too. 2020 I believe the team will be Clearys.

Sadly I think Whare and Mansour are perhaps on their last legs. Both good clubman, but the youngins will pass them in 2020 (I kinda hope i'm wrong especially with sauce). But I think father time is ticking quite louadly for both.

You know what. The thing is Dean and Josh get paid regardless. It is all about the best person for the job. We know that and they know it too. They are both super professional players and clubmen. If there time is up I’m sure in time they will come to accept it and move on. Whether it is in the ESL or with another NRL club as back ups they will come to terms with it. Rightly or wrongly Gus looked after both players when they were resigned and at the time I had no issue with either resigning, and most fans would agree. We really didn’t have too many other options available at the time and they are hardly on huge money in the current climate. I personally think Josh Mansour will have a big season, he won’t score 10 or more tries but he will do the job he does best and that is getting us out of our own end. Dean Whare on the other hand will ultimately be a back up centre this season only be called up when injury strikes our first choice centre pairing. He will do his job as he always does but doesn’t offer the strike we need to compete against the better sides.

franklin2323

Immortal
Need to remember that this trial is doubling as a fundraiser for the Bega area. You don't want to play your Rd 1 starting side longer than you have to, so give them the 1st 20-30 minutes then put them on autograph duties for the 2nd half.

I am not even talking about the starters so much. Take Kenny he needs plenty of minutes but will likely share a half with Hands

franklin2323

Immortal

Egan was poorly advised to go to NZ. Clubs don’t keep guys that want out around now

Kilkenny

Coach
Egan was poorly advised to go to NZ. Clubs don’t keep guys that want out around now

I understand the reasons behind his decision. He wants a starting position and who can blame him for that. He didn’t want out he was largely forced out. It makes no difference now, he is gone and we have the roster Ivan and the brains trust wanted. I hope Wade kills it at the Warriors and don’t hold anything against him whatsoever. He did what he had to do that was best for him.

franklin2323

Immortal
I understand the reasons behind his decision. He wants a starting position and who can blame him for that. He didn’t want out he was largely forced out. It makes no difference now, he is gone and we have the roster Ivan and the brains trust wanted. I hope Wade kills it at the Warriors and don’t hold anything against him whatsoever. He did what he had to do that was best for him.

I doubt he starts but good luck to him

MugaB

Coach
He was in a training pic posted today without the injury bib on
As much as i like leniu, we need to concentrate on our other middle forwards, Tamou, JFH, Tetevano, Leota, and Hethro
These need to be primary above the younger guys coming thru, Tamou will most probably be the next guy retiring then Leniu can step up, then Yeo retires might have Jed or Burns step up, cant play every junior in first grade when they're new and "talented"
when we have the older guys who have busted ass previously to claim their 1st grade jumper, Leniu and Burton just need to bide their time till poor form or injury come round

Latest posts