What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Here ya go

What a find... this is the footy promo/intro I remember above all others (with the exception of Tina).

This era was also when the NSWRL introduced a mascot... but more for the Monday night football from memory..

Whacka the Emu. Anyone remember it? I can’t find anything on line.. a picture would be awesome

I remember Rex Mossop wasn’t impressed with the big Emu, slating it on air on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Whacka the Emu. Anyone remember it? I can’t find anything on line.. a picture would be awesome

I remember Rex Mossop wasn’t impressed with the big Emu, slating it on air on multiple occasions.

skip to 0:18, linking has been disabled

El9YN61.jpg

El9YN61.jpg

mate that is awesome! Has made my day. How’s the promo of him coming out of the egg!! Brilliant...

Other takes on that..

gee the Rockettes got some decent flossing done with those costumes.

The Wok proves he doesn’t hold back on his words. Sadly the reference to punch drunk is more profound given the situation Turvey finds himself in these days..

That Grand Final. All three grades and we lose the big one by a point... yes from that forward pass and Glen Burgess getting bombed all afternoon like he was London in the war.. I was a shattered 12 year old lad that afternoon. Can’t remember ever being more devastated... but that was easily eclipsed in 93, and trounced in 99..

(I don’t count 92 as we punched well above our weight to get to the GF. And 96 was without doubt my favourite Dragons effort of all time. Starting the year with no coach, no sponsor, and a handful of players thanks to Super League. We ended up making the GF)

Good Old Whacka!!!! I wonder what ever became of him..

axl rose

Bench
The Wok proves he doesn’t hold back on his words. Sadly the reference to punch drunk is more profound given the situation Turvey finds himself in these days..
Hey what about 05 semi that must have sucked even worse (don't mention 2010..)

The Wok did not mince words did he. Very accurate though and a hell of a coach even though he arguably cost Tigers a GF in 89 (without him we are not even there). I have an old footy book which is just dedicated to quotes from Jack Gibson and Warren Ryan. There is some gold stuff in there on footy/life.

The rule where you catch on the full in your in-goal but then have to drop out was a bad one which Wok argued with the league to change for years. Then that GF happened and the Wok demonstrated his point.. and the league changed the rule in the off-season.

I would love Saints to have won in 96 just to wipe the smug grin off Tallis' ugly face. Broncos paid him a huge sum of money to sit out the season. They signed Mundine as well and then they came out with a Broncos birthday cake with Bennett and Choc all there midway through the season. Not even my club but gee that was low even by the Broncos standards.

Last edited:

Zadar

Juniors
The Wok did not mince words did he. Very accurate though and a hell of a coach even though he arguably cost Tigers a GF in 89 (without him we are not even there). I have an old footy book which is just dedicated to quotes from Jack Gibson and Warren Ryan. There is some gold stuff in there on footy/life.

The rule where you catch on the full in your in-goal but then have to drop out was a bad one which Wok argued with the league to change for years. Then that GF happened and the Wok demonstrated his point.. and the league changed the rule in the off-season.

I would love Saints to have won in 96 just to wipe the smug grin off Tallis' ugly face. Broncos paid him a huge sum of money to sit out the season. They signed Mundine as well and then they came out with a Broncos birthday cake with Bennett and Choc all there midway through the season. Not even my club but gee that was low even by the Broncos standards.

Sounds great, what’s the name of the book? Be good to hear some of the quotes, I can only imagine the PC brigade would be flipping out if it was in this era.

axl rose

Bench
Sounds great, what’s the name of the book? Be good to hear some of the quotes, I can only imagine the PC brigade would be flipping out if it was in this era.

On the refs “I think he must have an egg-timer - every four minutes, he blows the whistle.”

"The day that God invented Rugby League he didn't do anything else but sit around and feel good"

9780949853165-us.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of quality league 'entertainment' remember this. Video title is accurate.

Haha.... you just know how that’s gonna finish which makes all the crap before it even funnier..

Wonder what all those sporting folk were thinking as they came out of the telly.. (probably have an idea about Damian Keogh...)

Hey what about 05 semi that must have sucked even worse (don't mention 2010..)

I was at the SFS for the Dragons Tigers Semi of 2005. It was without doubt the most charged atmosphere of any sporting event I’ve been to. Matt Johns probably was closest in describing the place that night... that the stadium was heaving. It was.

Yes I was gutted. Bit of a story...

As it happened I’d broken up with my girlfriend the day before, went to the game with my best mate, dragons got rolled, couldn’t get a cab back to my place at Bondi so walked it, when I finally got back my housemate had jokingly put a LifeSize cardboard cut-out of the bundy bear inside the front door - I shat myself at first then punched and kicked the sh!t out of it - then finally after downing a few sad beers to calm down I went to bed... only to hear the couple living above me absolutely shagging themselves back to the Stone Age...

Wasn’t a good 24 hours..

But at least we didn’t lose the GF...

I went to the GF with work though. Still gutted but had clients to entertain. And speaking of entertainment I reckon I saw the absolute worst grand final footy entertainment of all time.. far more embarrassing than billy idol or the Optus telly...

Some bright spark at the NRL thought it would be great to get Pete Murray involved to get the crowd going.... not that it’s Pete’s fault, but geezus it was the biggest crowd killer of a performance before a sporting contest you could imagine.. if you remember his music it’s him and a guitar singing somber songs...

The biggest day of the NRL year and just before the main event Pete Murray is meant to fire up the crowd... it was like trying to score with a bird by taking her to the movies to see Angela’s Ashes.

But I was happy for the Tigers.. and I won’t mention the return bout in 2010.... yet...

The Broncos before and during Super League 97 were the most vile sporting organisation imaginable. Forget Manly in the 70’s/80’s or the Storm during the salary cap debacle and Roosters salary sombrero, The Broncos have them all covered in spades.

I actually wasn’t that upset with Anthony during that time, and I’ve always been a fan when he played league and the majority of his boxing. But Tallis was public enemy number 1.

Super League was a ridiculous time but I look on it now with different eyes. It gave me the Dragons season of 96, the proudest I’ve ever been of my beloved Red and Whites. Anthony was a big part of it. As for Tallis..

As we used to sing on the kogarah hill to the tune of a popular remade song of the time..

Living next door to Tallis..
TALLIS?!?
Who the f**k is Tallis...?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

axl rose

Bench
But I was happy for the Tigers.. and I won’t mention the return bout in 2010.... yet...
I was sitting in the 'best' seats at the Olympic stadium, 90m away from the action, what a terrible stadium. But anyway the atmosphere was still amazing. Drags had thier huge flag down one end of the ground and they split the supporters bays soccer style (dont they trust us to behave?) I have erased most of the game from memory but i think Benji or Robbie kicked out of the full late. Drags had been the most consistent team for a couple of years though and the winner was always beating Easts.

Last edited:
I was sitting in the 'best' seats at the Olympic stadium, 90m away from the action, what a terrible stadium. But anyway the atmosphere was still amazing. Drags had thier huge flag down one end of the ground and they split the supporters bays soccer style (dont they trust us to behave?) I have erased most of the game from memory but i think Benji or Robbie kicked out of the full late. Drags had been the most consistent team for a couple of years though and the winner was always beating Easts.

I was there too. Saturday night at Homebush. I'd played cricket earlier that day and broke a bone in my hand from a catch (which I actually held). My hand blew up like a Christmas ham hanging off my arm but no way I was missing the game.
Was a desperately close game and the crowd again were going nuts (a crowd of 71000 there that night) - but in a bigger stadium it didn't have the same ridiculous level of condensed ferociousness as at the SFS in 2005.

My seats were on the Western side on the 10m line from the southern tryline. I thought we may have it at 13-12 deep in the 2nd half but being a Dragons fan you're never comfortable - even when leading by 20. With a minute to go the Tigers were deep in their own half with one last roll of the dice. Then it happened, and I thought my world was crashing down....

Couldn't have been more that 30 seconds to go when big Saucehead (Keith Galloway) started bustling his way diagonally into space, and created numbers and space for the Tigers down their right flank . I was bricking it. The play was heading my way and while it might sound cliched - it was like in slow motion. I was in a fit like everyone around me as his backs trailed him and got the ball. But as the Dragons desperately scrambled the Tigers put in a kick (the one you may be talking about) and it Darius Boyd shadowed it over the dead ball line. I actually get chills when thinking about it, and as I type this. Full-time and we'd won a cliffhanger.

There were times I thought I would never ever see the Dragons win a comp. And of all players, Saucehead almost kept that nightmare alive. I was at the GF a week later still with a fat hand - was very nervous as we trailed at half time but got rolling with unstoppable momentum in the 2nd half to see us win a comp. Couldn't be happier like 75% of the crowd that day.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Speaking of quality league 'entertainment' remember this. Video title is accurate.

ROFL, i remember the TV set collapsing when it was lifted off into the air but i didn't remember the actual show, characters and dancers in the lead up. Notice they showed Tony Lockett as one of the sporting stars coming out of the box long before he became a Sydney Swan.

horrie hastings

First Grade

El9YN61.jpg

Bloody Whacka the Emu, that was
embarrassing back then, one of the few times i agreed with Rex Mossop.

Speaking of the Rockettes, wasn't there an incident at Belmore one night, think it may have been a Monday night game where a couple of spectators jumped the fence and tried to grope some of the girls ?

horrie hastings

First Grade
I went to the GF with work though. Still gutted but had clients to entertain. And speaking of entertainment I reckon I saw the absolute worst grand final footy entertainment of all time.. far more embarrassing than billy idol or the Optus telly...

Some bright spark at the NRL thought it would be great to get Pete Murray involved to get the crowd going.... not that it’s Pete’s fault, but geezus it was the biggest crowd killer of a performance before a sporting contest you could imagine.. if you remember his music it’s him and a guitar singing somber songs...

The biggest day of the NRL year and just before the main event Pete Murray is meant to fire up the crowd... it was like trying to score with a bird by taking her to the movies to see Angela’s Ashes.

Pete Murray is a handsome looking dude but music wise he has the charisma of a cardboard cut out. Do love hearing stories like that though.

The 1994 Grand Final i really had no interest in but a mate had spare ticket so i went along as Easts were playing in the under 23 [ or what ever third grade was then] and also Olivia Newton John was performing the National Anthem .At some time there was big dance number on the field and i must of been in the bar at the time but one of the dancers although i didn't know at the time would end up being my [hopefully ] life long partner. We met late 1995 so it was just over a year later from that Grand Final and God we still crack up discussing that Grand Final and why we were there for different reasons.

axl rose

Bench
Bloody Whacka the Emu, that was
embarrassing back then, one of the few times i agreed with Rex Mossop.

Speaking of the Rockettes, wasn't there an incident at Belmore one night, think it may have been a Monday night game where a couple of spectators jumped the fence and tried to grope some of the girls ?
Got me there. Doesn't sound like Dogs fans though, upstanding young citizens the lot of them. Other than the 3 that tried to stab me at Granville station.

axl rose

Bench
Pete Murray is a handsome looking dude but music wise he has the charisma of a cardboard cut out. Do love hearing stories like that though.

The 1994 Grand Final i really had no interest in but a mate had spare ticket so i went along as Easts were playing in the under 23 [ or what ever third grade was then] and also Olivia Newton John was performing the National Anthem .At some time there was big dance number on the field and i must of been in the bar at the time but one of the dancers although i didn't know at the time would end up being my [hopefully ] life long partner. We met late 1995 so it was just over a year later from that Grand Final and God we still crack up discussing that Grand Final and why we were there for different reasons.
Here's the pre-game, she might be able to find herself.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Got me there. Doesn't sound like Dogs fans though, upstanding young citizens the lot of them. Other than the 3 that tried to stab me at Granville station.

I just remember there being a news story the next day about the incident, it wasn't funny what happened but the news story mentioned they were called the Fruit and Veg Rockettes at the time.

Sh*t that would have been a scary incident and i have heard a few similar incidents of people being assualted at Lidcombe Station.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Here's the pre-game, she might be able to find herself.

Oh wow, just got a chill watching some of that, have downloaded it so i can freeze frame it but it was from the line dancing section on the field to Boys In The Bush with Lee Kernaghan, i know someone else who is going enjoy watching that again, thank you :D Still good friends with some of the gals and guys who performed then too.
The other thing i had forgot, where i was sitting on the day when they introduced the new teams that the Queensland Crushers cane train ran over the one of the effects microphone behind the in goal.

Latest posts