What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
I'm old enough to have seen both. It isn't easy to make a one for one comparison. Different eras, different styles, different players around them. I really liked Grothe's ability to turn and chase down someone who broke through and mostly caught them just before the try line. Exceptional speed and acceleration. Sorry Lingard, I think Grothe was faster until his knees packed it in but not by much. Even after 40 years I recall Grothe chasing down a runaway in the first origin game and catching him on the line. Too bad he got a slap from Chris Close while still on the ground. In Semi's favour, if Close had tried it on him he'd be known as Chopped rather than Choppy. Two special players with nothing between them.

Same here and I agree with everything you say. I rate Semi over Guru because a) Guru had a tendency to be both lazy and brilliant. b) Guru's pace was all about the wind-up up whereas Semi had the ability to bounce of his back leg and reach full stride in a short space c) Guru had a pretty poor workrate and d) I don't recall Guru being all that great under the high ball. So I think Semi pips him on skills.

blue bags

First Grade
going by the players listed, in 1st grade, reserve grade, grothe and fenech could have played in the same team :)

blue bags

First Grade
Neil Hunt doesn't seem to have got a run. For a man with the most predictable right foot step in history, he did ok. Jason Moodie and Sideshow Bob also did well for us.
sideshow bob was at the world club challenge game , st hellens saints v sydney roosters on the weekend

Bazal

Post Whore
The truthful answer is that nothing old is any good, obviously. So Grothe is boomer shit and Semi is the GOAT

84 Baby

Referee
I'm old enough to have seen both. It isn't easy to make a one for one comparison. Different eras, different styles, different players around them. I really liked Grothe's ability to turn and chase down someone who broke through and mostly caught them just before the try line. Exceptional speed and acceleration. Sorry Lingard, I think Grothe was faster until his knees packed it in but not by much. Even after 40 years I recall Grothe chasing down a runaway in the first origin game and catching him on the line. Too bad he got a slap from Chris Close while still on the ground. In Semi's favour, if Close had tried it on him he'd be known as Chopped rather than Choppy. Two special players with nothing between them.
The only way to compare them one to one is to compare them individually against their generation. It isn’t foolproof (especially pre and post professionalism) but the assumption is as the overall standard raised so did the individual’s.
So for me:
Head to head on actual skills - Semi by a long way
As a comparison against their generation - Guru was a lot better than the average of his generation than Semi was
Plus given Guru accomplished what he did in a less professional environment, those accomplishments are slightly more impressive.

Well, Guru played in 4 grand final winning teams.
As above, you can only judge them relative to their peers, and I think Guru gets the nod from me.

Eric also sang 'The Letter' on the Footy Favourites album and did pretty well. Mitch Brennan's Quinn the Eskimo was the only competition on that album.

lingard

Coach
Well, Guru played in 4 grand final winning teams.
As above, you can only judge them relative to their peers, and I think Guru gets the nod from me.

Eric also sang 'The Letter' on the Footy Favourites album and did pretty well. Mitch Brennan's Quinn the Eskimo was the only competition on that album.

Exactly. I don't recall Semi ever singing anything.

Gronk

Staff member
Exactly. I don't recall Semi ever singing anything.

Prolly sang I'm Free by The Who.

source.gif

crocodile

Bench
The only way to compare them one to one is to compare them individually against their generation. It isn’t foolproof (especially pre and post professionalism) but the assumption is as the overall standard raised so did the individual’s.
So for me:
Head to head on actual skills - Semi by a long way
As a comparison against their generation - Guru was a lot better than the average of his generation than Semi was
Plus given Guru accomplished what he did in a less professional environment, those accomplishments are slightly more impressive.
A review of Guru's highlights brings back the memories.
Guru -> Just as destructive as Semi and #$%^&*@ fast. Impossible to pick between them.

eel01s

Bench
Different era's so really hard to pick who is best.

Back in the 80's/90's, Eric Grothe was the best. Almost the prototype for the modern day winger - big, strong and fast. Would excel at hit ups today (if he didn't get injured), but how would he go under the high ball?

Semi is a freak. Sure he had some issues reading defence, but often the winger ends us looking bad when really the problem was caused a few players in. Apart from Hayne, would anyone have a highlight reel like Semi? I wish we still had him!

Eelogical

Referee
Different era's so really hard to pick who is best.

Back in the 80's/90's, Eric Grothe was the best. Almost the prototype for the modern day winger - big, strong and fast. Would excel at hit ups today (if he didn't get injured), but how would he go under the high ball?

Semi is a freak. Sure he had some issues reading defence, but often the winger ends us looking bad when really the problem was caused a few players in. Apart from Hayne, would anyone have a highlight reel like Semi? I wish we still had him!
Horses for courses, time marches on. Both were excellent for their time. If anybody wants to disagree I'll fight you behind the dunnies at MBHS this friday arvo. If i don't make it I nominate @Suitman in my place.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I could watch that all day, Semi was good but if you put a highlight reel together, it wouldn't beat that one

strider

Post Whore
Yeah big eric was pretty special ... he played when i was young and i probably didnt remember how good he was

Its actually quite amazing how similar little eric's running was ... little eric could be an amazing attacking player, he was probably a bit less effective defensively tho

Having said all that Semi was a freak

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Both Semi and Guru are similar at their explosive best and could score tries from anywhere. Maybe Semi's involvement and work ethic was slightly better.

Eelogical

Referee
True. Semi might have been much lazier in 1984. Grothe was like a rug on valium.
I stand by my original comment. Everything taken into consideration ( different eras, time in the game, etc), Eric Snr was our greatest winger. His achilles heel was that he was prone to injury.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I stand by my original comment. Everything taken into consideration ( different eras, time in the game, etc), Eric Snr was our greatest winger. His achilles heel was that he was prone to injury.
Multiple premerships, international appearances etc means that you'd probably have to award Grothe the Gibson SG.

No arguments here.