What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial 2 v Warriors

The unknown

Juniors
I’m guessing the backline and bench is still trial and error but the starting pack looks close to what it’ll be come round 1

WESTS TIGERS SQUAD LIST
1. Corey Thompson
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joseph Leilua
4. Moses Mbye (capt.)
5. Robert Jennings
6. Benji Marshall (capt.)
7. Luke Brooks
8. Thomas Mikaele
9. Billy Walters
10. Alex Twal
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Josh Aloiai

Interchange:
14. Michael Chee Kam
15. Josh Reynolds
16. Adam Doueihi
17. Oliver Clark
18. Chris Lawrence
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Chris McQueen
21. Zane Musgrove
22. Tommy Talau
23. Elijah Taylor

AD and Thompson will probably play a half each at fullback I’m guessing

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m guessing the backline and bench is still trial and error but the starting pack looks close to what it’ll be come round 1

WESTS TIGERS SQUAD LIST
1. Corey Thompson
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joseph Leilua
4. Moses Mbye (capt.)
5. Robert Jennings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Thomas Mikaele
9. Billy Walters
10. Alex Twal
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Josh Aloiai

Interchange:
14. Michael Chee Kam
15. Josh Reynolds
16. Adam Doueihi
17. Oliver Clark
18. Chris Lawrence
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Chris McQueen
21. Zane Musgrove
22. Tommy Talau
23. Elijah Taylor

Its not a bad starting 13 is it, but agree that the forwards are just about our top pack, we can put on the park.

The unknown

Juniors
Its not a bad starting 13 is it, but agree that the forwards are just about our top pack, we can put on the park.

I am still not sold on Jennings yet but damn he looks super trim compared to last year. Will be interesting to see what happens when Momo comes into the mix aswelL

and last but not least, looking forward to this beast run aroundE6C60BA2-BC9A-4099-831A-2B59ACC8F4E4.jpeg

Vic Mackey

Referee
Man seeing the side actually listed officially has me excited. It’s a strong side that should definetly be making the 8.

Still a few questions over a couple of selections but I’d say from 6-13 that’s round 1.

* will CT or AD wear the 1? Doueihi was strong last week but lack of combinations may keep him on the bench for the first couple of rounds

* whatever happens there will have ramifications for the wings. If CT gets it then Nofa and Jennings are our wingers. By all reports Jennings has been the standout of the preseason. If AD gets the 1 will Maguire really want 2 wingers under 5’10?

* Who at left center? Momirovski got injured at a horrible time for him. He ended the season on fire. Mbye is clearly going to be starting at 4 or 9, so it may actually come down to who Madge prefers out of Momo or Walters?

*Bench? The 8-13 is likely locked in. Maguire said last year he likes to start the season with 4 forwards on the bench. I would think MCK gets one spot. You need at least 2 props so that’s Musgrove then Clarke/Eisenhuth. Then the last spot? Does it go to Clarke/Eiso or does Maguire go for a veteran in Lawrence/Taylor? What if CT gets the 1, then AD surely gets the 17?

Like I said lots of questions, looking forward to this trial more then most.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You raise so many interesting points Vic.....

This time last year a 10 year old kid could have picked the team, there were simply no options or depth. For once this is a good problem to have.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
What will test us is those big wingers the Warriors have...they are deadly, especially in the air. We'll soon know how our short wingers will go with the new rule. Jennings is generally not too bad defusing kicks but it'll be a big ask.

The unknown

Juniors
What will test us is those big wingers the Warriors have...they are deadly, especially in the air. We'll soon know how our short wingers will go with the new rule. Jennings is generally not too bad defusing kicks but it'll be a big ask.

Even if we lose well, I wouldn’t take too much out of it.

There’s so many factors in a 1st trial hit out

*lack of Match fitness
*Getting combinations right
*Players constantly getting swapped around in different positions

Players would be going out there to impress sure, but there’s no way they will bust their backside in a meaningless trial. Save that for round 1

Tiger Ted

Bench
I am still not sold on Jennings yet but damn he looks super trim compared to last year. Will be interesting to see what happens when Momo comes into the mix aswelL

and last but not least, looking forward to this beast run aroundView attachment 36344
I dont rate the slug & barring injury I can’t c him holding onto a wing spot in our top team.

Wont surprise if Momo plays wing & AD in the centres.The beauty is & as others have said we have numerous options & guys who can play a no. of positions competently.

The icing on cake would b a hasty medical retirement of Packer & inclusion of Harry Grant.

The unknown

Juniors
I dont rate the slug & barring injury I can’t c him holding onto a wing spot in our top team.

Wont surprise if Momo plays wing & AD in the centres.The beauty is & as others have said we have numerous options & guys who can play a no. of positions competently.

The icing on cake would b a hasty medical retirement of Packer & inclusion of Harry Grant.

I do think he played the majority of last year overweight/lacked fitness. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this year but yeah I agree my first choice would be the up and comer momo.

Man seeing the side actually listed officially has me excited. It’s a strong side that should definetly be making the 8.

Still a few questions over a couple of selections but I’d say from 6-13 that’s round 1.

* will CT or AD wear the 1? Doueihi was strong last week but lack of combinations may keep him on the bench for the first couple of rounds

* whatever happens there will have ramifications for the wings. If CT gets it then Nofa and Jennings are our wingers. By all reports Jennings has been the standout of the preseason. If AD gets the 1 will Maguire really want 2 wingers under 5’10?

* Who at left center? Momirovski got injured at a horrible time for him. He ended the season on fire. Mbye is clearly going to be starting at 4 or 9, so it may actually come down to who Madge prefers out of Momo or Walters?

*Bench? The 8-13 is likely locked in. Maguire said last year he likes to start the season with 4 forwards on the bench. I would think MCK gets one spot. You need at least 2 props so that’s Musgrove then Clarke/Eisenhuth. Then the last spot? Does it go to Clarke/Eiso or does Maguire go for a veteran in Lawrence/Taylor? What if CT gets the 1, then AD surely gets the 17?

Like I said lots of questions, looking forward to this trial more then most.
WOW Vic, I got a headache reading that !! great post.

In regards to point 3, it will be interesting to see who does the kicking on the weekend (by the way, the trial is live on nrl.com again). I went searching and Walters kicked a few goals when playing in the Qld Cup, so he and Mybe might both get a go on Sunday.

WA Tiger

Bench
I’d be disappointed if we didn’t do well with this squad..With the extra training at the end of last year with the new buy in attitude and all the guns at Madge’s disposal ...despite it being the first time together the other teams are the same and I reckon the boys will be amped trying to impress

Meanwhile, 2020 Development Players Jock Madden, Zac Cini, Reece Hoffman and Jake Simpkin will all feature for the Magpies this week, while Jersey Flegg eligible players Mavoni Tuifua, Liam Scolari, Ray Jankovic and Brandon Mansfield are also named.

Matheson Johns, Brendon O'Hagan, Tyrone Faulkner, Austin Dias, Terrell May, Lachlan Talau and Jordin Leiu all spent time training with the extended NRL squad throughout the pre-season and will be out to impress in Saturday's trial.

WESTS TIGERS SQUAD LIST
1. Corey Thompson
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joseph Leilua
4. Moses Mbye (capt.)
5. Robert Jennings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Thomas Mikaele
9. Billy Walters
10. Alex Twal
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Josh Aloiai

Interchange:
14. Michael Chee Kam
15. Josh Reynolds
16. Adam Doueihi
17. Oliver Clark
18. Chris Lawrence
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Chris McQueen
21. Zane Musgrove
22. Tommy Talau
23. Elijah Taylor

It’s not a big pack and we are absent the elite bonehead to cart the ball up.

But I think that offers a more dynamic outing, because instead of main target, you have a lot of options.

They punched above their weight last year, but they were nowhere close to their potential.

They need to take a few extra risks in attack. Passing, stepping and offloading. Every forward should have a good kick in him and the ability to find meterage via clean punt under pressure.

This business of carting upand dying with the ball, setting up yes I know the tactical effects, but the smaller pack, all in and busying themselves can be a real threat at clutch moments. I hate the early wasted tackles we religiously cling to, even with 5 to go and 4 points down.

We will never see this from Madge unless he can evolve a bit. Chee Kam is such a player who can think thru defences in the right moments. We need more ck thinkingbut with the consistency of rowdy.

Plenty of small but agile packs have won comps.

The unknown

Juniors
Luciano >>>>>>>>> Matterson

Joey is a beast but still has his brain snaps

I’m keen to see AD out there because I think our spine looks disjointed but other than that I think we look ok for a first hit out

Tiger05

First Grade
Luciano >>>>>>>>> Matterson

Joey is a beast but still has his brain snaps

I’m keen to see AD out there because I think our spine looks disjointed but other than that I think we look ok for a first hit out

LL is a better edge forward than Matterson. Aloiai and Musgrove were great in the middle. Reynolds didn't make a mistake and scored our only try. Joey, Benji and LL on that right edge are dangerous. We need the left edge to fire as well.

I want to see AD out there as well. Nofo could be in trouble. He made a terrible read in defence.

Perth Tiger

Bench
BJ gave Nofa a filthy stare and words with his shocking miss read. Hopefully a few more and he might wipe Nofa in defensive shape finally.

Disagree 05, Reynolds has energy but his service just isn’t up to it. He is ok with the forwards but every pass to Benji and Brooks has made them stop or reach for the ball which has completely disrupted the spreads. Also there is no way his try would be awarded in the real footy, burrowed into Benji so should of been a penalty

Perth Tiger

Bench
Well I got to say Reynolds was much better in the second half, the Walter Reynolds combo seemed to work well. If will be interesting to see if Madge picks both of them or has to choose 1 and go with a bigger bench.

BJ was very good and has plenty of X factor

neither Thompson or Doueihi did enough to grab the fullback jumper so that will be another interesting decision

Latest posts