What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overrated snacks/foods

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Smoked Cod is the clitoris of the seafood world. You have to know what to do with it. Poached & on its own its pretty dire, but a bit of love turns it into a thing of beauty.

All you haters need to give this a run.

Poach the cod & set aside to cool.

Knock up some mashed spuds. Nothing too fancy, just potato, butter, a bit of cream, salt, pepper & a dash of nutmeg.

Roughly chop some spinach. Not the tender baby shit, some good old fashioned Silver beet. Give it a quick blanch and set aside.

Make a nice thick cheese sauce. Plenty of cheese and something that will stick to your bones.

Grease a baking dish (glass is best) or ramikins will work too.

Flake the cod an put a layer on the bottom of the dish

Than add a layer of the spinach

Add a layer of cheese sauce

Then add a layer of the potato

Repeat so you have 2 layers of everything

Top with grated cheese & bake for about half an hour

Not much beats it on a cold night. Even spinich haters will like this.

You all can thank me later.
I just tried all that & Mrs Muzby just yelled at me and threw the spuds & cheese all over me...

Tomorrow night I’ll try doing all that with the fish & see how I go instead..

horrie hastings

First Grade
I reckon our strawberries are grown for looks alone. Big hollow and tasteless turnips. the strawberries over in ireland are unbelievable.

Yeah i agree about the commercially grown strawberries but the times i have grown them on my balcony, they look almost like an undersized painted fingernails but then put then in your mouth and wow, mind you though while the needle scare was going on with the commercial strawberries we went over to the coal loader at Waverton to have a walk around Balls Head, the community garden had strawberries growing and a couple were peeking just outside the bird netting, the one i had was the nicest strawberry i had ever tasted and my better half agreed about the other one.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just had a whole flounder for dinner from Lindas on King St Newtown i love my fish but this flounder was cooked perfectly, it is actually one of my favourite fish but it gets over looked a bit because i rarely ever catch them, i usually catch leatherjackets, bream flathead and whiting and like those to eat but flounder is such a treat, wish i would catch a few more.

Just had a whole flounder for dinner from Lindas on King St Newtown i love my fish but this flounder was cooked perfectly, it is actually one of my favourite fish but it gets over looked a bit because i rarely ever catch them, i usually catch leatherjackets, bream flathead and whiting and like those to eat but flounder is such a treat, wish i would catch a few more.

You’re not wrong. The last flounder I caught was off Narrabeen Caravan Park. Darryl Braithwaite’s “Horses” was the big summer hit. :wink:

Dad snaffled it up like Gollum. Good sized fish, filled the pan, butter and lemon. He was good enough to leave me some of that particular fish!

soc123_au

Staff member
I just tried all that & Mrs Muzby just yelled at me and threw the spuds & cheese all over me...

Tomorrow night I’ll try doing all that with the fish & see how I go instead..

You need to let it cool first. She will love you for it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
You’re not wrong. The last flounder I caught was off Narrabeen Caravan Park. Darryl Braithwaite’s “Horses” was the big summer hit. :wink:

Dad snaffled it up like Gollum. Good sized fish, filled the pan, butter and lemon. He was good enough to leave me some of that particular fish!

I like your choice of fishing spots ;)
Right at the caravan park there i have caught flathead and black fish but never a flounder. Hooked a flounder once while fishing for leatherjackets in the harbour, the only other one i caught was in the Hawkesbury at Wobby Beach, seriously one of the best eating fish ever but just don't catch anywhere near enough.

Smoked Cod is the clitoris of the seafood world. You have to know what to do with it. Poached & on its own its pretty dire, but a bit of love turns it into a thing of beauty.

All you haters need to give this a run.

Poach the cod & set aside to cool.

Knock up some mashed spuds. Nothing too fancy, just potato, butter, a bit of cream, salt, pepper & a dash of nutmeg.

Roughly chop some spinach. Not the tender baby shit, some good old fashioned Silver beet. Give it a quick blanch and set aside.

Make a nice thick cheese sauce. Plenty of cheese and something that will stick to your bones.

Grease a baking dish (glass is best) or ramikins will work too.

Flake the cod an put a layer on the bottom of the dish

Than add a layer of the spinach

Add a layer of cheese sauce

Then add a layer of the potato

Repeat so you have 2 layers of everything

Top with grated cheese & bake for about half an hour

Not much beats it on a cold night. Even spinich haters will like this.

You all can thank me later.

mashed spuds...Nothing too fancy .... dash of nutmeg.

FOH! :point_right:

gUt

Coach
One more time for emphasis:

Beautiful. Is this from Pablo Neruda?

gUt

Coach
f**king prawns at Xmas are overrated as anything imo. They taste ok I guess but the effort and mess and the creeping suspicion that the 40 degree heat is quickly turning them rancid puts me off them. Then you have to deal with the leavings. My wife's family are all about them so this is a first world problem I just have to deal with

The Rosco

Bench
You need to let it cool first. She will love you for it.
The weekend looms and The Rosco, ever keen to impress, furiously takes down notes . . . . .
soc 123, so exactly what do we let cool down ? Clarry or the friggin fish dish ?
Get back to me stat.
Urgent.

Incorrect

Coach
brioche burger buns. so bloody american to put sugar on everything.

Agree wholeheartedly

I can't stand brioche and milk buns but they seem to be everywhere now. Hate it when you go to a pub or cafe and you scan the burger offerings, you see something that sounds really tasty, but then you notice the small print saying all burgers are served on brioche buns... I end up having to order something else entirely. f**king scourge those brioche buns...

soc123_au

Staff member
The weekend looms and The Rosco, ever keen to impress, furiously takes down notes . . . . .
soc 123, so exactly what do we let cool down ? Clarry or the friggin fish dish ?
Get back to me stat.
Urgent.

Clarry is best served at race temperature.

Fish dish piping hot.

If your are combining the 2 room temp is probably the go. A burnt Clarry isnt a happy Clarry.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Agree wholeheartedly

I can't stand brioche and milk buns but they seem to be everywhere now. Hate it when you go to a pub or cafe and you scan the burger offerings, you see something that sounds really tasty, but then you notice the small print saying all burgers are served on brioche buns... I end up having to order something else entirely. f**king scourge those brioche buns...

Also charcoal buns.

T.S Quint

Coach
Nutella is way overrated.
People have f**king orgasms over this stuff. It’s ok I guess, but it’s not that great.

Coastbloke

Bench
I agree with this except that I think their burgers taste great. It is total junk and makes me sick, but a Big Mac is firkin beautiful.

IMHO, The Big Mac AND the double Quarter Pounder with cheese are the GOAT fast Food burgers there is..

The Big Mac sauce and the simplicity of the QPs meat, cheese, ketchup and onions is heaven. :thumbsup:

AJB1102

First Grade
A Big Mac is pretty good. A Whopper goes good occasionally too.

I hate sausages unless they're BBQ'd. Then I like em chared up and with lots of onions and sauce. Good pork chipolatas though I can do off the stove top with a big brekky fry up of bacon, eggs, mushies, onion, grilled chunk of tomato, baked beans, toast... f**k yeah that might be dinner!

horrie hastings

First Grade
A Big Mac is pretty good. A Whopper goes good occasionally too.

I hate sausages unless they're BBQ'd. Then I like em chared up and with lots of onions and sauce. Good pork chipolatas though I can do off the stove top with a big brekky fry up of bacon, eggs, mushies, onion, grilled chunk of tomato, baked beans, toast... f**k yeah that might be dinner!

The smell that comes out of my local McDonald's and the one in the center I work at makes me want to throw up. Don't mind a Whoopper from Hungry Jack's every now and then though.

Sausages are a hard one to rate because there are so many different types and varieties , sometimes with the big beef sausages I will do a casserole with tinned lentils or chick peas , great dinner with mash and steamed veges.

AJB1102

First Grade
The smell that comes out of my local McDonald's and the one in the center I work at makes me want to throw up. Don't mind a Whoopper from Hungry Jack's every now and then though.

Sausages are a hard one to rate because there are so many different types and varieties , sometimes with the big beef sausages I will do a casserole with tinned lentils or chick peas , great dinner with mash and steamed veges.

Curried sausage stew is a winter warmer favourite. A good Italian style pork snag flavoured with fennel and a bit spicy in a pasta is easy and delicious.

Just not a fan off a everyday pan fried beef snag. A good pork snag from a butcher who makes their own and served up with mash, peas and gravy .. get outta my way!