What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Save The Game

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyone read the article?

The main concern is about head and neck contact. There's nothing to suggest that the core concepts of "wrestling" - winning the ruck, get the ball carrier on his back, slowing down the play the ball - will change one jot. They'll just be a bit more safety conscious about it.

AJB1102

First Grade
Anyone read the article?

The main concern is about head and neck contact. There's nothing to suggest that the core concepts of "wrestling" - winning the ruck, get the ball carrier on his back, slowing down the play the ball - will change one jot. They'll just be a bit more safety conscious about it.

Is there really that much head/neck work now though? I always hear refs yelling "watch/off the head/neck" in tackles.

betcats

Referee
Anyone read the article?

Pffft read the article who does that? I much prefer to overreact to a headline.

Vee

First Grade
Anyone read the article?

Good call. I actually picked that up while reading it but got distracted by the headline which played into one of my favourite hobbyhorses.

adamkungl

Immortal
Is there really that much head/neck work now though? I always hear refs yelling "watch/off the head/neck" in tackles.

Shrug. Wrestling has never fussed me as much as most people. This is probably just Souths posturing because they have a pus forward pack.

Wrestling is advantageous because a fast play the ball is advantageous because getting a defence back 10m and ready is hard.
While Rugby League has a 10m rule, this will be optimal play in professional football. There's no way around it, it's a fact.

There are 2 real solutions to wrestling. Both would have wide ranging consequences in how the game is played which might not necessarily be better. I am not saying these are *good*, but they are the only ways you would make a difference

1. enforce through rules/refereeing a faster release from tackles, and/or gives legs tackles the same leniency to hold on. By forcing a quick release, wrestling and 3 man tackles would risk more penalties.
potential negative: fast tackled release = defence never set = 'touch football' style constant dumping and dummy half running.

2. remove the root incentive of wrestling, the speed of the ruck, by reducing the 10m.
Right now, it seems like refs often stand at 11-12m. This makes ruck speed really important because it maximises chance of catching the defence unprepared.
If you reduced the D-line to 7-8m, it lets them get set a lot quicker, which reduces the gains made by wrestling.
potential negative: might make for less tries per game because it makes defense easier. BUT it might also make coaches re-think attacking strategy with a swing back to deeper backlines rather than the flatter attack that has been prominent since the early 2000s.

If I was football boss, and really wanted to reduce wrestling, I would trial an 8m defence rule.

Cactus

Juniors
Its hard to take a story like this seriously when it says this:

"In that role, Barker reviewed every tackle in the NRL last year and compiled a video package highlighting tackles that pushed the boundaries in their control of the head or neck"

I find it more than hard to believe over 100,000 tackles were viewed and assessed. That is just not possible. DT story with the required level of BS included.

The Rosco

Bench
Meanwhile, the glorious Weststigers are now petitioning the NRL to change the rules to reduce the advantages gained by speed and height in outside backs. Tommy himself is reviewing video of every stride ran by an outside back in the past 30 years of rugby league.
He is often heard to remark " f**k, I didn't realise that merkin was that quick"

BadnMean

Juniors
Shrug. Wrestling has never fussed me as much as most people. This is probably just Souths posturing because they have a pus forward pack.

Wrestling is advantageous because a fast play the ball is advantageous because getting a defence back 10m and ready is hard.
While Rugby League has a 10m rule, this will be optimal play in professional football. There's no way around it, it's a fact.

There are 2 real solutions to wrestling. Both would have wide ranging consequences in how the game is played which might not necessarily be better. I am not saying these are *good*, but they are the only ways you would make a difference

1. enforce through rules/refereeing a faster release from tackles, and/or gives legs tackles the same leniency to hold on. By forcing a quick release, wrestling and 3 man tackles would risk more penalties.
potential negative: fast tackled release = defence never set = 'touch football' style constant dumping and dummy half running.

2. remove the root incentive of wrestling, the speed of the ruck, by reducing the 10m.
Right now, it seems like refs often stand at 11-12m. This makes ruck speed really important because it maximises chance of catching the defence unprepared.
If you reduced the D-line to 7-8m, it lets them get set a lot quicker, which reduces the gains made by wrestling.
potential negative: might make for less tries per game because it makes defense easier. BUT it might also make coaches re-think attacking strategy with a swing back to deeper backlines rather than the flatter attack that has been prominent since the early 2000s.

If I was football boss, and really wanted to reduce wrestling, I would trial an 8m defence rule.

I don't think shortening the 8 reduces wrestling. Teams will just enjoy getting set, having a nice breather & the game gets slower. Teams will take all the time they can.

Souths want faster play as you've described as it suits Murray & Cook to a tee. That's ok, I don't think we'll see a return to touch footy drive & dump as wrestling will still happen- but if the nonsense around the neck was all barred I'd be fine with that. Players will still hold up, roll them over, waltz them, turn them etc but just stop trying to twist their arms & head off please.

The game could/should reward legs tackles more. As you've said, what was once a copybook tackle now gets punished (see Leilua around the bootlaces in the GF, resulting in a quick play the ball, Leilua couldn't get back & the Roosters winning try). Refs could be given a new call to go with "dominant" & "surrender", something like "legs" or "textbook" to give a well executed legs tackle the chance to settle the line- not as long as dominant or surrender, but the chance to get back to marker at least.

adamkungl

Immortal
The game could/should reward legs tackles more. As you've said, what was once a copybook tackle now gets punished (see Leilua around the bootlaces in the GF, resulting in a quick play the ball, Leilua couldn't get back & the Roosters winning try). Refs could be given a new call to go with "dominant" & "surrender", something like "legs" or "textbook" to give a well executed legs tackle the chance to settle the line- not as long as dominant or surrender, but the chance to get back to marker at least.

How does it work though? A tackle around the ankles is inherently easier for the attacker to break out of once on the ground. You can let the defender hold on a little longer, if he can, but once the attacker is up you cant say he has to wait a sec to play the ball.

Galeforce

Bench
Easy way to sort it. All clubs agree no more wrestling

Great idea. At the same time , they can get all the clubs to agree to abide by rules and they can do away with referees and linesmen , as the players can make a fair call , just like backyard footie.

you are a genius

Dragonwest

Juniors
Souths have a killer running 9 and a very good back line ... they must be doing this out of their own heart.

The 2018 crack down had the slow / set play teams of the time Storm, Roosters, Rabbits & Sharks all out of the top 4 at round 12. The crackdown ends and the "cream" rose to the top. Looks like South don't think they can compete at that game this year.

Galeforce

Bench
overpaid for a fat Latrell. Moved their best and only good forward to the edge... going to be a train wreck but great viewing

lol , you must get your news from the back of Kellogg packages.

Souths reportedly paid less than the Roosters initial offer and way less than offered by Tigers. Generally agreed by most humans that Souths got a good deal.
By the way , Kellogs probably have not reported that Latrell has already lost 9 kg since he started at Souths. Do not let facts get in the way of your ignorance

Keep it up , provides good lol

AJB1102

First Grade
How does it work though? A tackle around the ankles is inherently easier for the attacker to break out of once on the ground. You can let the defender hold on a little longer, if he can, but once the attacker is up you cant say he has to wait a sec to play the ball.

Without giving it much thought I don't mind a 1 on 1 legs tackler being given fair opportunity to get to marker.

Galeforce

Bench
Souths have a killer running 9 and a very good back line ... they must be doing this out of their own heart.

The 2018 crack down had the slow / set play teams of the time Storm, Roosters, Rabbits & Sharks all out of the top 4 at round 12. The crackdown ends and the "cream" rose to the top. Looks like South don't think they can compete at that game this year.

Interesting point , however I do think Souths will have a stronger overall pack in 2020 , stronger and more mobile.

We have lost George burgess , who hardly played and was never fit in 2019
We have lost Sutton , a club legend , however he was getting found out in the ruck as his stamina/speed affected as he aged.
We have lost Sammy , a club champion, however he was playing injured or not playing for most of second half of the season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great idea. At the same time , they can get all the clubs to agree to abide by rules and they can do away with referees and linesmen , as the players can make a fair call , just like backyard footie.

you are a genius

Well the only reason it gets like this is coaches

AJB1102

First Grade
You'd think after f**king up employing Richo as "head of game strategy and development" the NRL would learn Souffs are toofless dickheads. But they employ another Souffs guy to monitor the concerns of Wayne Bennett and Souffs.

BadnMean

Juniors

Yeah you can.
Similar to how the refs manage to do a "held, move now, release" type instruction... Just like surrender & dominant indicate to players they can do x or y...

"textbook" or "legs" followed by a "one second" or "to marker" instruction- you've got ones second to get there, basically the length of the instruction takes to say. Then the ref calls "play it"- if the tackler got themselves to marker, well done. If not the ref informs them they are out of the play like they do normally/often for players who aren't square or are 3rd man around the ruck etc.

I think that's workable- if we are really looking for a solution to rewarding legs tackles. If not, move along, I'm not crying out for it as the missing piece in the rules puzzle. It's just a way to do it fairly simply.

Last edited:

Latest posts