What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overrated snacks/foods

horrie hastings

First Grade
Curried sausage stew is a winter warmer favourite. A good Italian style pork snag flavoured with fennel and a bit spicy in a pasta is easy and delicious.

Just not a fan off a everyday pan fried beef snag. A good pork snag from a butcher who makes their own and served up with mash, peas and gravy .. get outta my way!

Yep how could I forget curried sausages, one of my favourites :grinning:

horrie hastings

First Grade
My grandma made the best. Cooked in a old orange crock pot. I think it had flowers printed on the side.

My better half always says how good her mother's curried sausages were and she cannot replicate them, I have no complaints because my better half curried sausages are well worth eating anyway.

Coffee
Caramilk - tf is all the hype about exactly?
Chocolate Eclairs - deadset the Dane Carlaw/Dave Taylor of sweets
Indian food (maybe more the imitation shit they make in the West)
Thai food
Vietnamese food - apologies to any Viets - your food is just rubbish
Seafood
Coca-Cola - may as well be drinking battery acid

Those saying croissants - yes, if you're having the bland ones from supermarkets and the average cafe. From certain places o/s or fresh from a proper bakery.... f**k me, absolutely delicious.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Coffee
Caramilk - tf is all the hype about exactly?
Chocolate Eclairs - deadset the Dane Carlaw/Dave Taylor of sweets
Indian food (maybe more the imitation shit they make in the West)
Thai food
Vietnamese food - apologies to any Viets - your food is just rubbish
Seafood
Coca-Cola - may as well be drinking battery acid

Those saying croissants - yes, if you're having the bland ones from supermarkets and the average cafe. From certain places o/s or fresh from a proper bakery.... f**k me, absolutely delicious.
You have Adrian Purtell level taste buds

mongoose

Coach
Mango's is a weird take. Even if you're not into fruit I can think of at least 15 worse fruits than Mango....

Has anyone said Sausage rolls and meat pies? I'll eat them but you wouldn't go out of your way to get one....

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mango's is a weird take. Even if you're not into fruit I can think of at least 15 worse fruits than Mango....

Has anyone said Sausage rolls and meat pies? I'll eat them but you wouldn't go out of your way to get one....

Id be interested hearing your list of 15 worse fruits than mango's then, I don't hate mango's but i don't really like them and wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

I would agree about pies and sausage rolls if you are talking about the crap ones you get at the footy but travel around to any good cake shop or bakery especially in some of the country areas and a pie can be a thing of beauty, mind you there are still some bad or ordinary ones also.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Pawpaw, honeydew, apricot, fig, plums, grapefruit, custard apple, rockmelon, blueberries, those brown pears, dragon fruit, starfruit, kiwis, persimmons, durian

jim_57

Staff member
Smiths bbq chips

samboy all the way

I've been reading this thread struggling to think of much but you've provided me with one.

BBQ flavoured chips, all brands. While we're at it most "flavoured" potato chips, plain salt or salt & vinegar or nothing.

Another one I can eat but find the hype way overkill is the creamy type of Carbonara, I can think of heaps of better ways to serve pasta.

mongoose

Coach
Id be interested hearing your list of 15 worse fruits than mango's then, I don't hate mango's but i don't really like them and wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

I would agree about pies and sausage rolls if you are talking about the crap ones you get at the footy but travel around to any good cake shop or bakery especially in some of the country areas and a pie can be a thing of beauty, mind you there are still some bad or ordinary ones also.

I just assumed everyone who eats fruit likes Mango. It's such a mild, sweet inoffensive taste, plus they are very soft and juicy. I guess some people just don't like them though...

horrie hastings

First Grade
Pawpaw, honeydew, apricot, fig, plums, grapefruit, custard apple, rockmelon, blueberries, those brown pears, dragon fruit, starfruit, kiwis, persimmons, durian

I agree with about half of those, love figs, plum, persimmons, starfruit, and blueberries. Indifferent about honeydew, apricot, kiwi fruit and custard apple, dislike overall paw paw, grapefruit, durian and have never found a more over rated and tasteless fruit as dragon fruit.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I just assumed everyone who eats fruit likes Mango. It's such a mild, sweet inoffensive taste, plus they are very soft and juicy. I guess some people just don't like them though...

It's squishy and smelly, but strangely it works with prawns and chicken, it actually works with some savoury things. I don't hate mango but I don't like it as a stand alone sweet fruit, I find it works better with something savoury.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Mrs Horrie will sometimes bring home croissants from the Bourke St Bakery at Marrickville for a breakfast treat and I admit I do enjoy them but really feel guilty about eating them afterwards because a really good croissant is about 85% fat with the buttery pastry .

stryker

First Grade
I have two that im in the severe minority hating.

SAUSAGES I think they are beyond disgusting.

HOT CROSS BUNS putrid .

horrie hastings

First Grade
HOT CROSS BUNS putrid .

Mrs Horrie always being a creature of habit always like ham at Christmas and Hot Cross Buns at Easter, it's funny how when she bought ones from Woolworths they would end up in the freezer , the once I tried the Woolworths one I didn't want another one,, very ordinary, then one day we were at Kirribilli and went past one the bakeries there and they had hot cross buns in the window and they looked nice, bought half a dozen , they were yummmm, so now if we ever have hot cross buns in the house they come from that bakery and no where else.

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
I agree with about half of those, love figs, plum, persimmons, starfruit, and blueberries. Indifferent about honeydew, apricot, kiwi fruit and custard apple, dislike overall paw paw, grapefruit, durian and have never found a more over rated and tasteless fruit as dragon fruit.

I dont mind some of them but all inferior to a nice firm fragrant mango.

I was going to add guava to the list but cant remember the last time i had one. Same as jackfruit.

Dragonfruit doesnt taste like anything at all. And persimmons, nashis and starfuit are not much better.