What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO 1, 2020. Who’s coming to Adelaide?

Any LU Forummers heading to Adelaide for the first Origin game this year?

I got tickets on the day of release (non-member) best I could get (8 people) was on the top deck of the Riverbank Stand. Last I knew there are still some decent areas available, but mainly for 3-4 seats at a go.

I moved here last year from Sydney. Pleasantly surprised how many people I’ve met and encountered actually follow NRL. Worn the odd dragons jacket about etc and have had loads of people come up for a chat. Admittedly many are expats like me but other locals also.

If anyone is coming and wants any advice on things to see n do etc while in town feel free to DM me.

For the info of some, Adelaide oval is a short walk across the river from the CBD (so no travel buzzkill) and the all the city pubs n bars welcome you with open arms unlike Sydney. If you do get here, I guarantee you’ll have a blast.

Cheers,
BBJF.

davi

Juniors
Kevin Walters has already written off state of origin being played in Adelaide this year.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has dropped a State of Origin bombshell, claiming the series opener in Adelaide could be axed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The ARL Commission will meet on Thursday to discuss a number of matters, including the future of State of Origin, the code’s showpiece event which generates an estimated $150 million a year for the code.

State of Origin was scheduled to make its debut in South Australia for Game One on June 3 _ a series launch was even held in Adelaide last month _ but Walters believes the COVID-19 outbreak will force the event to be delayed.

The possible axing of Origin from Adelaide Oval would be a crushing promotional blow, with Walters suggesting all three games could be held in Sydney in October _ scuppering the end-of-season Kangaroo tour.

“I think given the current climate, where the game is at, they will have to move it from Adelaide,” Walters told The Rush Hour with Dobbo on Triple M.

“Certainly June 3 was game one … it won’t happen in Adelaide.

“So if it does happen, some suggestions have been all three games in Sydney with no crowds, but Origin will make it on TV screens around the world which will be a huge boost for the game.

“There’s every chance of playing in front of empty stands and it’s my thoughts that Origin will go ahead, that’s just my personal opinion, but when it will be scheduled, I don’t know.

“I think if Origin had to be played in October, we would go ahead and do that, that’s best for the game.”

Contacted on Wednesday night, Walters told The Courier-Mail he had been in talks with the Queensland Rugby League about the impact of COVID-19 on State of Origin.

It is understood NRL hierarchy are investigating a number of options including the series being pushed back three months. He insisted the spectacle had to go ahead for the sake of a global television audience.

“There’s been a few scenarios the NRL are throwing around,” he said.

“Playing it at the end of the year could be an option. I’m confident State of Origin will happen this year but we have to make sure the health of safety of everyone is first and foremost.

“If we can do it and everything is cleared, the key is to get Origin on TV, get people talking about it and rugby league.

“There’s a lot of work to be done yet by those leaders in our game Todd Greenberg (NRL CEO) and Peter V’landys (ARLC chairman) around Origin and where it sits.

“By all reports, the Kangaroo tour is gone.”

Walters praised Greenberg and V’landys for doing everything possible to continue the NRL premiership.

“The NRL is doing its best to keep rugby league going, because if it drops off, they may not recover,” he said.

“You see so much happening around the world, we need those smart people to get a vaccine (for coronavirus) happening right now.

“Everybody is hurting in this great world of ours.”

V’landys insists no decision has made been on the Origin opener in Adelaide.

“That’s just speculation,” he said. “We’re meeting tomorrow and we’ll be discussing many things including State of Origin.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/73933e4c3f7355f6ffb712a69a8cebc2

Kevin Walters has already written off state of origin being played in Adelaide this year.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has dropped a State of Origin bombshell, claiming the series opener in Adelaide could be axed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The ARL Commission will meet on Thursday to discuss a number of matters, including the future of State of Origin, the code’s showpiece event which generates an estimated $150 million a year for the code.

State of Origin was scheduled to make its debut in South Australia for Game One on June 3 _ a series launch was even held in Adelaide last month _ but Walters believes the COVID-19 outbreak will force the event to be delayed.

The possible axing of Origin from Adelaide Oval would be a crushing promotional blow, with Walters suggesting all three games could be held in Sydney in October _ scuppering the end-of-season Kangaroo tour.

“I think given the current climate, where the game is at, they will have to move it from Adelaide,” Walters told The Rush Hour with Dobbo on Triple M.

“Certainly June 3 was game one … it won’t happen in Adelaide.

“So if it does happen, some suggestions have been all three games in Sydney with no crowds, but Origin will make it on TV screens around the world which will be a huge boost for the game.

“There’s every chance of playing in front of empty stands and it’s my thoughts that Origin will go ahead, that’s just my personal opinion, but when it will be scheduled, I don’t know.

“I think if Origin had to be played in October, we would go ahead and do that, that’s best for the game.”

Contacted on Wednesday night, Walters told The Courier-Mail he had been in talks with the Queensland Rugby League about the impact of COVID-19 on State of Origin.

It is understood NRL hierarchy are investigating a number of options including the series being pushed back three months. He insisted the spectacle had to go ahead for the sake of a global television audience.

“There’s been a few scenarios the NRL are throwing around,” he said.

“Playing it at the end of the year could be an option. I’m confident State of Origin will happen this year but we have to make sure the health of safety of everyone is first and foremost.

“If we can do it and everything is cleared, the key is to get Origin on TV, get people talking about it and rugby league.

“There’s a lot of work to be done yet by those leaders in our game Todd Greenberg (NRL CEO) and Peter V’landys (ARLC chairman) around Origin and where it sits.

“By all reports, the Kangaroo tour is gone.”

Walters praised Greenberg and V’landys for doing everything possible to continue the NRL premiership.

“The NRL is doing its best to keep rugby league going, because if it drops off, they may not recover,” he said.

“You see so much happening around the world, we need those smart people to get a vaccine (for coronavirus) happening right now.

“Everybody is hurting in this great world of ours.”

V’landys insists no decision has made been on the Origin opener in Adelaide.

“That’s just speculation,” he said. “We’re meeting tomorrow and we’ll be discussing many things including State of Origin.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/73933e4c3f7355f6ffb712a69a8cebc2

Yeah sadly I think it’s completely shagged this year, unless they play at the end of whatever season we end up having. Christmas Origin perhaps? Who knows...

SA have shut the borders too today.. strange times.

I’ve spend $1200 on tickets. Uncertain what I’ll get back or other.

But when it’s on again, I’ll be there.

is Adelaide state of origin still on, or all 3 games on east coast cause of corona

Last I knew it was still earmarked for the first game in November.

However it would need to be limited on crowd numbers. And when I bought my tickets it looked almost 70-80% sold out. Although Ticketek said refunds may be available to those who can’t attend..

Furthermore, there’s entry restrictions to SA from NSW (not from Qld) - which might take care of the above. I’m heading back to SA soon and have to do a mandatory 14 days isolation. If this doesn’t change before the game... I can’t see this progressing as channel 9/fox wouldn’t be able to do the grand final, shift to SA - do the quarantine - then get everything ready in time..

I honestly think it should be held over til next year. Real shame

i read somewhere that all 3 games be played on east coast. Sydney, Brisbane this year

didn’t see that but saw Vlandys talking about SA maintaining the first game only last Monday night. Saying he’s working with the SA government who’ve been supportive in the last few years. Was on 100% footy.

jargan83

Coach
I was going to travel to Adelaide for Origin but then Covid happened.

The Iron Curtain of WA means I'd have to isolate for 14 days if I did travel so it's a bit of a bummer I guess.

I was going to travel to Adelaide for Origin but then Covid happened.

The Iron Curtain of WA means I'd have to isolate for 14 days if I did travel so it's a bit of a bummer I guess.

I’m about to drive back from nsw and have to do mandatory 14 days is isolation but... heard they might lift the border restrictions this week. Lucky both states are liberal governments... think if pallachet (or whatever her name is spelt like) was in SA this game wouldn’t go ahead.

will be interested to see the crowd restrictions and who will come over from nsw n Qld.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprised they have bothered this year, cost more and generates nothing for the State in tourist $'s. Why not carry it over to next year when it would have been a much bigger opportunity?