What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous All Stars reach out to bullied nine-year-old

Mr Spock!

Referee
Who's sticking up for Facebook? No one. But apparently we can't criticise the sacred cow that is schools.

Are you saying that all schools are well run with excellent anti-bullying programs in place?

The 'anti-bullying program' I saw was just talk, that's all. It was more an arse-covering exercise. And people getting paid money to keep it that way.
Not saying that's the case everywhere, but it happens.
I'm saying when issues follow a kid from school to school to school, that the problem generally isn't the school.

T-Boon

Coach
Roll up, roll up.
I am going to drop several new rule change proposal threads in the Cave in the lead up to the NRL season proper kicking off.
Just be alert.

SBD82

Coach
I'm saying when issues follow a kid from school to school to school, that the problem generally isn't the school.
I’m not sure this theory bears scrutiny.

Apply the same principle to young people being abused in care or in the Catholic Church, and it becomes an institutional issue.

AJB1102

First Grade
what news did you think it would make before social media? Not like the 5pm tv news is going to talk about it.
Like it or loath it social media now means the public can generate it’s own news, not rely on whatever news corporations deem to be worthy for us to hear.

What? I'm almost certain stories about bullying have been on the evening news and in mainstream media.

I was saying pre-social media I don't really recall hearing the news report incidents of bullying in schools unless maybe those Today Tonight type shows. Admittedly that was about 15 years ago and I didn't pay much attention to anything but the sports report.

Tiger5150

Bench
The last bit is correct. You have no idea if he is receiving any counselling.

Yep.....never claimed otherwise. Dont see your point?

The bit at the top is weird. You're forming opinions based on social media. Kids get bullied every day and mothers go through this all over the place, it's quite possible she was at her wit's end. But hey, you run with rewarding him for threatening to hurt himself. Talk about an irrational argument.

Not irrational at all. I am not forming my opnions based on social media at all. I am forming my opinions based on the VIDEO that I saw with my own two eyes. The same video that she released to increase awareness of bullying. I actually think it is irrational to not see what Im saying. Have you actually seen the video?

I ask again, why does this worry you?

TBH it doesnt that much. Nothing on Leagueunlimited worries me that much. Its not the place I would go for rational discourse of world issues. But whilst Im here, I like to post my opinions about various topics. Its kinda how forums work.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep.....never claimed otherwise. Dont see your point?

Not irrational at all. I am not forming my opnions based on social media at all. I am forming my opinions based on the VIDEO that I saw with my own two eyes. The same video that she released to increase awareness of bullying. I actually think it is irrational to not see what Im saying. Have you actually seen the video?

TBH it doesnt that much. Nothing on Leagueunlimited worries me that much. Its not the place I would go for rational discourse of world issues. But whilst Im here, I like to post my opinions about various topics. Its kinda how forums work.
Yes, I've seen the video. I didn't rush out and look, truth is I wasn't paying much attention at first. But then I saw this...

256d645c7b1ddc211b6b3d7f13862430

And then I saw people trying to drag the kid back down again.

So I looked at the video, and saw (as it turns out) what most people saw.

A minority saw it differently and think they're smarter for it... go figure.

AJB1102

First Grade
You cannot “coach” the emotion that kid had in the video, you can feel his distress. When the mother starts crying later you feel her distress also. That’s why that video got such a global reaction, you can see and feel how genuinely distraught he is.

If the kid is an actor he's f**king brilliant and could be making way more than a trip to Disneyland and garner more than facebook fame.

AJB1102

First Grade
Spock has spent 20 years telling children what to do and think. 20 years in charge of little people who know no better and even if they did have no power to challenge what he says. The staff room is likely an echo chamber of disgruntled teachers.

What he says usually goes. No question. I can understand why he believes he's an authority on any matter he chooses to discuss.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A bit off topic, but if this Indigenous-Maori match was turned into a 3-game series that could build over several weeks, it could be enormous.

It is a great concept now, but the one-off match strips that match of a lot of context.

langpark

First Grade
On Wednesday, Quaden was bullied at his Brisbane school when a fellow student made references about his height while "patting him on the head like a puppy"
She said Quaden has been on the receiving end of a range of bullying actions since the school year started three weeks ago, which led to her withdrawing him from Carina State School.

Ms Bayles will also meet with the principal of Carina State School on Monday.
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...-disabilities-quadens-message-parents-bullies

And...

The Murri mother who shared a video of her 9-year-old son's despair following a bullying incident at a Brisbane State School has called for disability awareness to be embedded in the curriculum.

Yarraka Bayles, whose son Quaden was born with Achondroplasia, the most common form of Dwarfism, witnessed the incident at Carina State School on Wednesday afternoon. Speaking exclusively to NITV News, Ms Bayles says it was heartbreaking and made her feel 'helpless'.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...ity-awareness-schools-after-constant-bullying

Are you satisfied now? And why did it matter so much?
Yes, indeed, thanks for sharing it!

I really don't see why those of us that are asking some obvious questions are getting such a savage reaction!

carcharias

Immortal
Pretty much any topic that comes up this Carch guy has experience with it.

:thinking:

watch the video of the gf qualifier you see him lead out the sharks.
I can give you the kids name if you like.
I can tell what class , what school
The exact location here he lives
What else would like?
Photo’s ?
Yep I can show you videos of the boys together at different shit.

what else would you like.
Pm me we’ll organise it.
Come over I’ll introduce you to him.
FFS.

Dave's mate

Juniors
What else would like?
Photo’s ?

Pm me we’ll organise it.
FFS.
Massive George vibe here

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What else would like?
Photo’s ?

Pm me we’ll organise it.
FFS.
Settle petal.

carcharias

Immortal
How did you prove me wrong?
My comment was that you always seem to have an experience on every single topic that his mentioned.

You know someone with dwarfism.

Congratulations.

Actually my original point was that I know a kid in a situation and I’ve never heard of anyone bullying him.
I find it pretty shocking that anyone would.
I’m glad my kids and their mates look after him.

you basically insinuated that I was making it up and that I always make shit up.

But go on try and pretend you meant something else.