What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

betcats

Referee
Rather get bagged for that then use him as a packhorse

If I have to choose between to much and not enough ball for Kikau ill take to much. People talk about not using him as a battering ram or pack horse...have a look at him that is what he is best suited for on RL field. We just need to get him in a bit more space and use him as a decoy a bit more rather than just dumping it to him and expecting him to go over four defenders, it was just the same shape, the same play on repeat last season, that is my issue with how we used him.

TheFrog

Coach
The 2003 changed from Round 1 to GF day though. Chris Hicks and Shane Elford were the wingers. We don’t win the comp with that backline either.

As I said elsewhere lots of similarites between now and then. Needing to get mix up the backline is one
Chris Hicks didn't play a single first grade game in 2003, although he was a regular in 2002. Not even sure he was still at the club or may have been injured. He went to Manly in '04.

Spud played 3 games in first grade mid-season before going to the Tigers in '04. The wingers in round 1 were Campbell and Rooney, with Lewis at centre. Presto went to the halves the following game, replaced by Brett Howland, who played wing until mid-season when he was replaced by Lewis.

franklin2323

Immortal
If I have to choose between to much and not enough ball for Kikau ill take to much. People talk about not using him as a battering ram or pack horse...have a look at him that is what he is best suited for on RL field. We just need to get him in a bit more space and use him as a decoy a bit more rather than just dumping it to him and expecting him to go over four defenders, it was just the same shape, the same play on repeat last season, that is my issue with how we used him.

Ideally we will get a few plays going on the right so defences are 2nd guessing how to handle it

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Chris Hicks didn't play a single first grade game in 2003, although he was a regular in 2002. Not even sure he was still at the club or may have been injured. He went to Manly in '04.

Hicks was still at the club in 03. Played reserve grade most of the year. Rumour was he punched Martin Lang on the chin and was never picked again.
Something definitely happened behind the scenes with him.

Kilkenny

Coach
2020 is shaping up as a really interesting season for us.

Im not sure how it is going to pan out.

It could be better than expected and we finish 5-8 or it could be worse than we hope for and we finish in the bottom 4.

If there’s one thing I have learnt over the years it is to read nothing into what happens in the pre season.

I truly believe if we have better fortune on the injury front we are more than capable of making the bottom half of the top 8. A few injuries to key players and I think it could be tough for us.

I do think this season will be very evenly contested and I think the top sides will find the going tougher. There is going to be a lot of upsets week in week out so I hope we are responsible for some of the upsets.

franklin2323

Immortal
You would think if Kenny makes it through this week he would be the 14 for round 1. Leaves Leota/Hetherington fighting out for the last bench spot.

Leaving this NSW Cup team. Maybe strongest ever?

Laurie
MWZ
Crichton
Jed
Tago
May
Burton
Leota/Hetherington
Smoothey
Leinu
Burns
Hollis
Hopgood

Hands
Smith
Fearnley
Myles

Dave's mate

Juniors
You would think if Kenny makes it through this week he would be the 14 for round 1. Leaves Leota/Hetherington fighting out for the last bench spot.

Laurie
MWZ
Crichton
Jed
Tago
May
Burton
Leota/Hetherington
Smoothey
Leinu
Burns
Hollis
Hopgood

Hands
Smith
Fearnley
Myles
You don't have Leinu on the first grade bench?

franklin2323

Immortal
You don't have Leinu on the first grade bench?

That isn’t my team that is the team I expect. Given he hasn’t trialled I can’t see him making round 1. Burton, Crichton and Burns would all be in my side.

He ave 207m a game in NSW Cup last year so can’t keep him out too long on that form

Crashtest

Juniors

Laurie
MWZ
Crichton
Jed
Tago
May
Burton
Leota/Hetherington
Smoothey
Leinu
Burns
Hollis
Hopgood

Hands
Smith
Fearnley
Myles

And you forgot Staines, who has to fit in there somewhere as well

Crashtest

Juniors
Of the 23 nrl.com "experts" who have predicted who they think will make the Top 8, only six on them have included Penrith in their Top 8.

And one of them is Jamie Soward, who I still regard as a Panthers legend for making that field goal in the final against the Roosters. But in this case he also predicted Parramatta will come 1st, so he was obviously drunk or stoned when he came up with his top 8, and we can probably scrap his predictions in this case.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/27/wholl-make-the-top-eight-nrl.com-experts-have-their-say/

Crashtest

Juniors
And one of them is Jamie Soward, who I still regard as a Panthers legend for making that field goal in the final against the Roosters. But in this case he also predicted Parramatta will come 1st, so he was obviously drunk or stoned when he came up with his top 8, and we can probably scrap his predictions in this case.

Ok, because i mentioned Jamie Soward (and I'm living on past glories after a depressing 2019 season), its a weak excuse to show that field goal from the 2104 final

Pomoz

Bench
Of the 23 nrl.com "experts" who have predicted who they think will make the Top 8, only six on them have included Penrith in their Top 8.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/27/wholl-make-the-top-eight-nrl.com-experts-have-their-say/
Makes sense. We didn’t make the 8 last year and have lost Maloney and now Edwards is out for a few months. It is also unclear how our juniors will kick on in their second season (Naden, Crichton, Leniu). They are just taking a low risk approach in ranking us.

I hope they are wrong, but it is a sensible, albeit sobering assessment. Now, if the youngsters improve in their second year and Burton or Luai deliver anything like their potential, we could be a contender. A big ‘If’ though.....