What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Captain - Adam Reynolds

Rabbits20

Immortal
'As South Sydney as they come': Rabbitohs set to make Reynolds captain

article courtesy of SMH

[/URL]

Former South Sydney captains have welcomed the likely appointment of Adam Reynolds as the club's new leader, with the star halfback set to be elevated to the top job as early as Tuesday.

Mudgee officials also confirmed on Monday the intense interest in Latrell Mitchell ahead of the Charity Shield had them on track for a record 10,000 crowd for the first time.

Reynolds, 29, who spent his first years living in a "shoebox-size unit on Elizabeth Street opposite Redfern Oval", is as South Sydney as they come, a fact not lost on club legend Bobby McCarthy and fellow former captain and No.7, Craig Coleman.

"He'd have to be the most-tattooed captain in history," McCarthy said with a smile. "But it's great he's a local junior, just like [former skipper] Johnny Sutton, he's been there a while and he knows the game. He's calm and collected and always keeps his cool, no matter what is happening in a game. I think it's a good choice."

Coleman added: "I had a bit to do with Adam, I coached him in the SG Ball for two years, he's a young Redfern kid like myself, he's done a fantastic job, won a premiership and I'm really happy for him. He's now captaining a great club."

Damien Cook and Cody Walker were also in the mix, while Cameron Murray is hugely respected but still a couple of years from being thrust into the leadership role.

Reynolds is expected to lead Souths out on to Glen Willow Regional Sports Centre against St George Illawarra that could feature a record crowd because of "Mitchell-Mania".

Last year's Charity Shield crowd was 9027, slightly down on the previous year's 9133 and the 9267 who turned up for the round-10 clash between the Dragons and Newcastle.

Mudgee mayor Des Kennedy told the Herald ticket sales were well up on the same time last year and was even hoping Mitchell could help lift the crowd to 10,000 for the first time as Souths chase an eighth straight Charity Shield victory.

All the hype around Souths and Latrell has been wonderful publicity for this game," Kennedy said. "He reminds me so much of Greg Inglis. There was so much interest in Greg here a couple of years ago, and I'd say the interest in Latrell is on par.

"Latrell runs like GI he has the same aura about him, especially the way he stands after he scores a try with that bit of authority about him. We're looking forward to it."

Nine's legendary sports presenter and proud Mudgee resident Ken Sutcliffe said: "Latrell is the talking point up here, there's no doubt about that, as he was in the All Stars game because everyone wanted to see how he would go.

He reminds me a bit of Arthur Beetson because Artie used to play centre early in his career, and this kid has a similar build. Maybe Latrell will never be cut like Sonny Bill Williams but if he shows fitness discipline he's a diamond in the making.

"I think he's so good for the game I'd be more than happy to pay to watch him play.

"Sam Burgess was the drawcard last year, and Latrell is this year.

"The thing about Latrell having a run in Mudgee, it's the best surface in Australia to get tackled on."

Rabbits20

Immortal
Can you please change the name of this thread to Reyno getting the captaincy @callmack1?

Or if you can’t then I will let you do the honours of making up another thread for it!

Honestly waking up this morning to that members email was just gold!

I have been talking to family and friends about this news too and we are all so proud of him.

I really enjoyed that 11min presser too.

Awesome and was my pick too. He well and truly deserves this!

I had the pleasure of meeting him too a few years ago and he signed my 2014 premiership jersey. I don’t wear that jersey now and I keep it as treasurable memorabilia something I’ll love forever!

Such a humble and down to earth guy too.

What a great day this is for our awesome club!

Also I think this thread deserves to be a sticky for the next week or 2, what’d you reckon Callmack?

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs announce Adam Reynolds as captain for Season 2020: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...nce-adam-reynolds-as-captain-for-season-2020/

Rabbitohs media conference: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/02/25/rabbitohs-media-conference/

Reynolds to captain South Sydney in 2020 : https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/02/25/reynolds-to-captain-south-sydney-in-2020/

Wow, fantastic news for the club!! Reyno is Red and Green through and through, he deserves this so much and will hopefully do a great job. He was always going to go down as a legend but after this, he will become even more of a legend! So proud of him!

Congrats to our little master!

callmack1

Staff member
Following in the foot steps of greatness: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/02/25/following-in-the-foot-steps-of-greatness/

Plus, here's an article from the Sydney Morning Herald,

Captain’s Call - Why Bennett Overlooked Ink To Give Reynolds The Armband

Wayne Bennett has always been big on appearance, even refusing to let players take the field with dodgy haircuts. But the master coach had no issues elevating one of the most heavily tattooed men in the NRL to the role of South Sydney captain.

Adam Reynolds was confirmed as the club’s new skipper yesterday, getting the nod ahead of representative teammates Damien Cook and Cody Walker. And while Bennett loved the fact Reynolds has been given the chance to lead his childhood club, he’s never appreciated his ink.

‘‘ He’s a sensible bloke, I just can’t believe what he has done to his body,’’ Bennett said. ‘‘ It goes to show we’re all imperfect. He’s very talented and has all the skills, he just needs to be that player every week and want to put a game away. He can get a little laid-back at times, but he’s learning that. Adam was born here, he’s played here from day one. It was going to mean a lot to everyone, but I thought it would mean a little bit more to him. That’s the way you want your club to be, to be a supporter and go on to captain your club. It doesn’t get much better than that.’’

Reynolds will kick off his captaincy with Saturday’s Charity Shield in Mudgee, and hoped to stick around well beyond the end of next year when his contract expires.

The tough No. 7 with the wonderful right boot has had his share of injuries , including a transverse process fracture in his back, which later caused spasms towards the end of last season. Apart from a minor groin strain that kept him out of the Nines, Reynolds said he was now feeling the best he had in a few years.

‘‘ I found Bikram yoga last year which really helped with the back, and I’ve kept that up. It’s been fantastic,’’ Reynolds said. ‘‘ I’d love to get to 300 games, but that’s still a fair way off.’’

When Reynolds replaced Chris Sandow in the No.7 jersey for the start of the 2012 season, he recalled the club having five captains. Bennett only ever believed in one, and maintained it was a job that could not be downplayed. ‘‘ I’ve never devalued it,’’ Bennett said. ‘‘ It’s always been a great moment in a player’s life. I want them to own it, feel good about it and understand the importance of it.’’ Christian Nicolussi

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That’s an awesome decision by the club. Reynolds at his best is one of the best halfbacks in the competition and I can think of no man better than him to lead us to number 22. Seems like he’s a real joker around camp and is respected by all the players. I’ve criticised him heavily throughout his career but he seems to be turning into a really mature, smart player now. Congratulations Reyno you’re a little guy but you’ve got a big heart!

callmack1

Staff member
What a great article this is from Sam in the Daily Telegraph!

Sam Burgess: Moment I knew Adam Reynolds was destined to captain South Sydney

Adam Reynolds grew up in Morehead Street, a stone’s throw away from Redfern Oval.

It’s funny, I never really realised how close he’d always been to the heart and soul of South Sydney.

It was mid-2019 and we were having a ‘down day’ together.

Our morning had begun at Redfern with a small weight session into some recovery, followed by a session at Fluid Form Pilates, owned and run by Matt King’s wife Kirsten.

That’s on Danks St, only a five minute walk from Redfern Oval.

It was a hot morning and like kids back in the day we walked there with our shirts off.

Adam took me on a route I hadn’t been on before, a few backstreets and past his house he grew up in - the house his parents still live in today.

It hit me right there and then: South Sydney was life for Adam and his family.

I was trying to hold back the questions I had swirling around my head but couldn’t help it.

“What, that’s where you grew up?”

“Yeah, why?”

And so I went.

Well it was normal for Adam, for me it was absolute beauty. A home grown kid living a dream.

From the downside of advantage, he found a way to succeed.

He continued to show me where he played as a kid, the lampposts he would practice his side step on, the back alleys they would play two on two.

And of course, Adam explained how he would sneak into Redfern Oval and kick the ball for hours on end.

Here’s a small glimpse into Adam’s rise to captaining his beloved South Sydney.

He played for both Alexandria Rovers and Kensington United.

He stormed through Harold Matts, SG Ball and the under 20s ranks at Souths and capped off his junior career with a grand final win in 2010 over Shaun Johnson and a super Warriors team.

I was at that game live and burst with pride for the whole under 20s side that night. Plenty of young men from that team have gone on to have wonderful NRL careers.

Adam’s family are also South Sydney through and through.

His older brother, Wayne, was his hero, the bloke always telling him to push his limits.

In 2011 he suffered a torn ACL and missed almost the entire season.

The next year Chris Sandow left for the Eels, and it was Adam’s time.

I’ll never forget Adam’s entrance to the NRL, he has always been a cheeky little bugger, like most halfbacks.

Splashing water from the ice baths on players enjoying a warm shower. Hiding players’ shoes right before they leave. Switching the lights off as the doctor is reviewing an injury. The list goes on.

But come kick off he is respectful, sometimes reserved, and focused on the job he needs to do.

I’d say he was fortunate to have the fossil John Sutton as his halves partner in his early years, because Sutto was a master of the game and dominant voice throughout the team.

Adam was left with a simple job, to organise last plays and his right edge. Well, if you can call that a simple job.

But in my opinion he was the best in the business.

We finished 10th in 2011. In Adam’s first season we finished third and fell away in the preliminary final to the Bulldogs. I felt we were in control of the game until Adam pulled his hamstring 30 minutes into the game and we ended up losing.

Adam’s most defining moment came that year, and one I believe tells you the best story.

In mid June we played the Eels. Chris Sandow v Adam Reynolds.

Imagine the hype. Old bull vs young pup.

Sandow intercepts a ball in the far right corner on his own try line and pins his ears back.

Adam, on the other side of the field did the same thing in cover defence.

Every 10 metres he was closing in on him, finally tackling him over the sideline just short of the try line.

A huge play in the context of the game, a huge play in the context of Adam’s career and a huge play for the fans of South Sydney.

That moment was the end result of being a born and bred Redfern boy.

My relationship with Adam has evolved over the past decade. Although similar in age, I’ve always seen him as my little mate. Almost like a younger brother. I always try to ‘fall in love’ with my halfbacks as they are essentially the most influential players.

I can safely say that was easy with Adam.

I didn’t realise how much I cared for my teammates until I left for England and was watching a replay of the 2014 grand final in my apartment in Bath.

When Adam scored in the 73rd minute and I saw him run into the crowd and celebrate, the euphoria on his face brought me to glassy eyes all the way in little old Bath.

I had the same watching Luke Keary in all the aftermath of that game too.

So, I asked earlier, what’s changed?

Well, a lot really, but in the same breath I’m tempted to say nothing at all.

He is still the heartbeat at Redfern, kicking the ball around Redfern.

Standing 173cm (on a good day) and weighing in at 85kg (again, on a good day).

Only now, he leads the team into the 2020 season.

He has seen four coaches come over his time, numerous players come and go.

In my opinion, he is the man for the job. He is greatly supported by his two other little mates Cody Walker and Damien Cook, who are leaders in their own rights,

Cody, a pioneer for his culture and Damien, playing a large role in the resurgence of the NSW Blues over the last two years.

In the front line, my younger (bigger) brother Thomas, accompanied by Liam Knight, Junior Tatola and the most handsome man in the NRL, Cameron Murray.

Adam will lead the club in his own way.

From the conversations I’ve had with him, I understand he will lean on those around him but also grab the rabbit by the ears.

He has learned from many before him. Going back to Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker, Glenn Stewart, just to name a few.

More recently and possibly over a longer period, the one and only Greg Inglis, Mr South Sydney himself John Sutton, and me, that Pommy bloke.

But this is Adam’s time, Adam’s time to carve his name deep into the history books of South Sydney.

Over the last two seasons the club has fallen at the last hurdle.

We sat together over a beer after last year’s loss to Canberra and I could feel his pain, along with his other two little mates.

That’s what prompted the question.

What’s changed?

In short, Adam now has the team to himself.

Representing more than just a club, he represents the people, his family and an entire culture.

Not bad for a little lad from Morehead St who grew up dreaming of the famous Cardinal and Myrtle.