What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Veteran Rabbitoh Bryson Goodwin admits he never thought he'd return to the NRL once he headed to Warrington at the end of 2017 but Greg Inglis's shock retirement at the start of last year set the wheels in motion.

Souths reached out to Goodwin following the inspirational skipper's shock retirement call just two games into 2019.

The mid-season swap never panned out but conversations continued and when Goodwin couldn't come to terms with Warrington over a new deal, a surprise NRL return was born.

"I never actually thought I'd come back when I left last time but here I am," Goodwin told NRL.com.

"There was talk when Greg left, the club was interested in me maybe coming back mid-season last year and it sort of progressed from there.

"We couldn't agree on a few things at Warrington and I had to make my mind up if I wanted to stay there or come home and it just sort of presented itself.

"I just had to make a decision really and we made the choice to come home and that was that."

The 34-year-old was impressive on the wing in the Maori All Stars' 30-16 win over Indigenous All Stars last weekend but knows he faces a tough task to add to his 176 NRL caps over 11 seasons with Cronulla, Canterbury and Souths.

"We'll just have to see how we go, it's a red hot backline," said Goodwin, who left Souths at the end of 2017 after five seasons and 99 games with the cardinal and myrtle.

There's a lot of depth in the squad as well, a lot of good players. We'll just see which way the coaching staff goes. We don't really know until a couple of weeks when the team for round one is picked."

Goodwin has been named in jersey 18 for a near full-strength Rabbitohs Charity Shield line-up but doesn't expect most of the players backing up from All Stars to play huge minutes. He is happy to bide his time and take his chances when they come.

I just need to be ready when I get a chance, you never know what can happen," he said, adding he had floated between centre and wing at training.

"It's always a very long year, it's not very often the team that's playing round one is the team that's playing at the end of the year. It's a long season."

While Souths still have experienced players in the backs such as Dane Gagai and James Roberts, Goodwin's experience is a value add for a club that has lost a fair bit in the past 12 months.

"We lost a lot – Sam Burgess is gone, John Sutton's gone, Greg's gone. That's three pretty big names around the club," he added.

If I can do my part with the younger guys and do my bit, with me being around for a while now, definitely [that will help]."

Goodwin said hasn't looked beyond his current one-year deal.

"I've got no idea what I'm doing next year or even if I want to play next year. We'll just see how this year pans out, try and play as many games as I can and see where we go from there," he said.

One thing he knows he will need to adapt to is the more structured style of the NRL compared to the Super League, sounding almost nostalgic when he spoke of the free-wheeling style players are afforded in the northern hemisphere.

"In the Super League it's a lot different, you can chance your hand a lot more," he said.

"In the NRL it's a lot more about holding the ball and completing, a lot of structure.

"Over there you can back yourself a bit more. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, you try a few things and they don't come off!

"But I still think I'm playing good. I definitely wouldn't have come back if I didn't think I could compete and do a good job."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/27/goodwin-ready-to-make-most-of-surprise-redfern-swan-song/

callmack1

Staff member
This will cause a Storm - The 21-page dossier Souths will use to get wrestling out of the game: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/94398d611f43df271652ab339de7f868

Well done Souths! This could potentially change the face of the game for the better if the NRL takes this seriously.

Also, great news straight from Cam Murray's mouth in the Daily Telegraph. We kind of knew this all along but it's good to hear him say it. Promising signs,

Cameron Murray slams Sydney Roosters rumours, Mark Geyer

South Sydney star Cameron Murray determined to prove critics of his positional switch wrong, while addressing rumours linking him to the Sydney Roosters.

Cameron Murray has heard the whispers linking him to a lucrative Roosters switch, but insists his only new partnership in 2020 will be “outside the game’s best attacking five-eighth”.

Ranked among the code’s most exciting young forwards, 22-year-old Murray has told The Daily Telegraph he not only wants to stay with South Sydney long-term, but expects his game to reach new levels this year outside livewire No.6 Cody Walker.

Despite being named 2019 Dally M Lock of the Year, Murray is moving to the Rabbitohs left edge this season as part of a controversial switch set to be debuted during Saturday night’s Charity Shield match in Mudgee.

While some media commentators have questioned coach Wayne Bennett’s decision — including Triple M’s Mark Geyer, who suggests Murray he will be “wasted” in his new role — the Kangaroo incumbent insists he will get even better outside Walker.

“Cody Walker is the game’s best attacking five-eighth,” Murray said. “And the best eyes up player (anywhere).

“Over the past couple of years, he’s proved himself a great ball player, a great leader and one of the few playmakers in the NRL who can really square up a (defensive) line.

“Cody not only goes to the line, he puts himself under pressure to put others in better positions.

“And I want to capitalise on that.

“Want to capitalise on his eyes up footy too.

“Cody’s wonderful playing off the cuff and my support will have to be really strong so that he gets the options he needs.”

While signed to Souths for the next two years, rumours have circulated since January suggesting the NSW Origin backrower could sign a lucrative deal with the Roosters.

“Those rumours, they’ve been around for a couple of months,” the Rabbitohs young gun conceded. “And while I have no idea where the talk is coming from, I can tell you it isn’t true.

“There has been nothing from me, my manager or my camp.

“I’ve got another two years here at South Sydney and that’s what I’m focused on.

“I couldn’t be more excited about what’s about to happen here.”

Asked if he was annoyed by the speculation, especially on the eve of a new NRL season, Murray continued: “What’s the point of me getting upset?

“There is nothing I can do about it.

“I’ll focus on are those things I can control, starting with the next training session here at Souths.”

On Wednesday, Triple M’s Mark Geyer questioned Murray being shifted to the left edge following the retirement of club favourite John Sutton, suggesting the rising star would be “wasted”.

Geyer added the move would also have a negative impact on Souths attacking game, given the opportunities Murray created in the middle both with his strong passing game and quick play-the-balls.

Asked about the thinking behind the move, Murray continued: “Wayne says for our pack to be as effective as possible, my best position is left edge.

“And I agree.

“There’s a great opportunity for me outside Cody, plus it also allows Liam Knight to grab that number 13 jersey and become the player we all know he can be.

“We’ve worked hard throughout the pre-season and, this week, I’m really just looking forward to getting out to Mudgee and making it all a reality.”

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I agree with the Souths stance. Do Melbourne and Roosters want to play League or do they want to Wrestle? If it's the latter, then they shouldn't be at all surprised if other teams in the spir of the moment, introduce boxing, kick boxing and street fighting. Wrestling isn't in the rules like the others. The only way they can control it, is send a player or players off for wrestling. Not just suspend them later, but an instant dismissal at well. That would control it for sure.

Travitoh

First Grade
Re: wrestling - every team does it. It's an issue in the entire league.

With Damien Cook at 9, it is in Souths best interests to try and eliminate it as much as possible. It will make Cook an extremely dangerous prospect.

I do wonder if Souths and Bennett would be doing this if Andrew McCullough was at hooker?

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Re: wrestling - every team does it. It's an issue in the entire league.

With Damien Cook at 9, it is in Souths best interests to try and eliminate it as much as possible. It will make Cook an extremely dangerous prospect.

I do wonder if Souths and Bennett would be doing this if Andrew McCullough was at hooker?
We will never know. Cullo isn't at Souths nor will he ever be. But I get your point.

Latest posts