What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ardie Savea All Black. Dragons?

possm

Coach
View attachment 36314
“ Oh possum would you get off my back ! It’s not easy balancing the books with little or no money and then having no choice but to sign ‘ cut price ‘ players to satisfy - he who knows all . “
You should not have thrown away the white board Peter Mullholland left behind and it was a big mistake to spend all your spare cash for 4 years on Aitken and Lafai.

You should not have thrown away the white board Peter Mullholland left behind and it was a big mistake to spend all your spare cash for 4 years on Aitken and Lafai.
Ardie Savea, whom I have personal knowledge of, would have no trouble adapting to league. First and foremost he is an athlete, much like SBW. At College he played center and also on leaving school. He then made the New Zealand sevens team on and off until 2015. It was only after he started playing super rugby for the Hurricanes that he played as a loose forward. He is fairly big, mobile and physical. He is known for having the best leg drive in Union. The other attribute he has is that he is very intelligent. I just think he wants a new challenge. If I had to compare him with anyone in League it would be Michael Jennings on steroids. Savea was injured in last years World Cup and is still out injured. He has not been injury prone in the past.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Has already said he would prefer a team like the Roosters or Melbourne. He will not consider us even if we can match other offers. Unfortunately success brings signatures.

Gareth67

First Grade

“ But , but the maestro told me that I was allowed to make 1 ‘ little ‘ mistake each year and the white board is being used by Mary for the Dragons attack and defensive plans - it’s not as if it’s gone to waste ? “. :thinking:

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’ve seen very few successful Union forwards transition to league.

For every Scott Gourley there would be two or three Garrick Morgans.

Not to mention Tony D’arcy for those old enough to remember. Ray Price went ok though.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Saints signed the Wallaby captain and front rower Sullivan who broke his leg in his first or second game for us and that was the end of his career.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Saffy had a rugby background but played League professionally first before going to the Rebels.

He was actually a very good Union forward for the Rebels.

Cameron Murray was also a very good Union schoolboy for Newington College who will likely make a transfer to Union at some point.
Angus Crighton too

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Saints signed the Wallaby captain and front rower Sullivan who broke his leg in his first or second game for us and that was the end of his career.

Speaking of Wallaby captains, did anyone from the forum see the late Phil Hawthorne play for Saints in the 70s?

He never seems to draw much attention when discussing rugby/Dragon converts.

giboz71

First Grade
Angus Crighton too

Yep. Crichton played for the 1st XV for Scots. Tepi Moeroa is another one for Newington, who’s back playing Union.

So there are few examples of forwards with Union backgrounds making it in League..

So Savea should give it a shot.

Last edited:

emu62

Juniors
Wycliff Palu, never made it out of our reserves, Apparently could not adapt to the speed of league & went back to union

Latest posts