What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will we finish on the ladder in 2020?

Where will we finish on the ladder in 2020?

• Total voters

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes because Widdop was also inconsistent. One week he was brilliant and the next he'd go missing.
Hunt is different though, he doesn't go missing he just shits the bed and falls apart.
But when he's good he is very good as was Widdop.

For the vast majority of his SGU career, Widdop was the crux of the side without the assistance of a genuine, first grade halfback. Hunt is the reverse. Notice how well they started until GW was injured in 2918? There’s a paradigm there.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
For the vast majority of his SGU career, Widdop was the crux of the side without the assistance of a genuine, first grade halfback. Hunt is the reverse. Notice how well they started until GW was injured in 2918? There’s a paradigm there.
Widdop was such a wasted talent for us, he was as good as Barrett. He should have won a premiership with us. Mary’s greatest failure imo.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Personally I’m annoyed I missed watching Widdop run around with St George Unaderra..

But it sounds like I didn’t miss much..

Frank Facer

First Grade
"alleged"? You don't think Hunt is inconsistent?
Ben Hunt is as inconsistent a player as any I've seen play the game. Great one week, woeful the next.
And its got nothing to do with Corey Norman or Gareth Widdop or anyone other than Ben. His problem is upstairs. I hope he improves this year, we really need him to.
Ben Hunt looks to be a confidence player. He was in great form the year Bennett got back to Brissy and I think he was in very good form the year before that too. The first year he was with us, he was the form halfback of the comp during the first 10 round or so until he got an injury and kept playing with it.

As I have stated numerous times, I don't think Hunt is the organising type of halfback who can control the game and steer the team around the paddock. He isn't the player you want in the clutch moments. That is why I think he is better suited to 5/8 or hooker. We already have a much better game managing halfback in Norman. Clune may also be a better game managing halfback than Hunt. I do think Hunt is a very good player, but I think he needs to be coached different.

Belta

Juniors
Crush said;
“2020 isn't the year to get ones hopes up I reckon. I'll be just watching. Checking out some individual performances. How will Lomax, Saab, Rava, Kerr go.
Will Hunt improve.
Watch the other teams run around. Enjoy the origin for once without worrying aboutinjuries to Dragons. Because it doesn't matter what injuries we get or who gets selected where anyway this year.
While Mary is coach we will just splutter along. Win some lose lots.
I reckon if its a good year maybe 7th-12th. If its a bad year it will get ugly.”

Frank Facer said;

“As I have stated numerous times, I don't think Hunt is the organising type of halfback who can control the game and steer the team around the paddock. He isn't the player you want in the clutch moments. That is why I think he is better suited to 5/8 or hooker. We already have a much better game managing halfback in Norman. Clune may also be a better game managing halfback than Hunt. I do think Hunt is a very good player, but I think he needs to be coached different.”

I have no idea what we’ll come this year. Last year I predicted we could scrape into the eight if we won all our close games. Watching some of the woeful performances last season I fear that a lot needs to change. With no confidence I’m going to predict the same this year and say we finish eighth. I feel we have improved our depth this year.

The worst case would be another bottom table finish with no youth development. I agree with Crush in that this year should be (it won’t of course) be a rebuilding year. I say with McInnes injured trialling Hunt at hooker with Clune at 7, as FF mentions could be for the teams betterment in the long run. Other options in the halves are Sailor, Sullivan. We now got Britain as a hooker option.

With a lot off contract id be looking to clear the decks, move away from picking players on loyalty and experience and instead start picking players on talent and potential. I’d like to see some plan to bring the likes of Ramsey and Schiller, Feagal, Blacker, Ford etc and not expect too much.

Last edited: