What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's Machiavellian moves

Paddles

Juniors
A savage humblebrag comment with a little sting in the tail:

""From my experience as a head coach, it can be hard to change. You always listen and can make subtle changes, but to have such a massive change is a credit to 'Mary'...We don't speak about his future, but we're aware of it, he's very much aware of it. "

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fl...-is-elephant-in-the-room-20200228-p545ap.html

From memory, it's not the first time Flanno's been assertive about his role. He's not gonna be backward about taking his share of credit and demonstrating his autonomy. That dynamic isn't sustainable long term. One of them's gonna have to really change, or go, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
l73rFx.gif

Geez Mary has been in a good paddock..

Warabrook saint

Juniors
A savage humblebrag comment a little sting in the tail:

""From my experience as a head coach, it can be hard to change. You always listen and can make subtle changes, but to have such a massive change is a credit to 'Mary'...We don't speak about his future, but we're aware of it, he's very much aware of it. "

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fl...-is-elephant-in-the-room-20200228-p545ap.html

From memory, it's not the first time Flanno's been assertive about his role. He's not gonna be backward about taking his share of credit and demonstrating his autonomy. That dynamic isn't sustainable long term. One of them's gonna have to really change, or go, sooner rather than later.
Flanno Flanno

kit66

Bench
A couple of fitting quotes from Machiavelli.....while we're on the subject ;

"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him".

"The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does not".

Timmay

Juniors

So you reckon someone else besides Dean Young is going to be our next Head Coach?

castle.jpg

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’d rather Mary than that drug cheat. He will help because of course it’s going to help any club having a full time head coach focussed purely on defence. That’s as far as it goes.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Thanks for providing the link to that story.

Timmay

Juniors
Murray Farquhar.
It's a shame we no longer have characters like Farquhar.

What an interesting fella - fought in a war, conspired with gangsters and the highest members of political office, subject of a Royal Commission, etc - that's controversial.

Controversial these days is a dopey footy player getting on the Twitter saying something disparaging about a section of the community that his boss happens to belong to - what a boring as f**k life we all live...

denis preston

First Grade
What , another pro Mary story from one of his media mates Nicolussi ? Make the Widdorp/Debellin excuse and quoted that Dragons fans "demand success " by making the semis every year. Bullshit, we just want to go well into the semis once or twice a decade, something this idiot hasn't been able to do in his tenure as our longest serving coach.

brissiedragon

Juniors
Flanno says:
"He's been willing to work and listen to other ideas and how to try and do things in different ways," Flanagan told The Sydney Morning Herald.
"From my experience as a head coach, it can be hard to change. You always listen and can make subtle changes, but to have such a massive change is a credit to 'Mary'.

So would be interested to know what the "massive" change is. The sad fact is that he has been at the helm since 2014 and in that time he hasn't had the intelligence to know what or how to change. Just the same old same old year after year. Lets hope Flanno's ideas include dropping under-performing personnel.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Really ??? So Mary is a better option than Flanagan ? Where have you been the past 6 seasons ?
Think you misunderstood him. Results wise Flanno is objectively better, as he even stated.

Morally it's much more of a grey area. Flanno is a convicted peptide cheat, who then broke conditions of his first ban by earning a second one.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone for preferring 10 more years of Mary than 1 year of Flanno. I'm on the fence personally, but I understand the sentiment.

SAP58

Juniors
Think you misunderstood him. Results wise Flanno is objectively better, as he even stated.

Morally it's much more of a grey area. Flanno is a convicted peptide cheat, who then broke conditions of his first ban by earning a second one.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone for preferring 10 more years of Mary than 1 year of Flanno. I'm on the fence personally, but I understand the sentiment.
10 more years of Mary........WOW ! Please please dont wish that upon us !