What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Who is that in the moon boot with Lowe?

Just on Cook though I feel Wayne is trying to make him a player he’s not. When it’s there for him to run he needs to pin his ears back and not hesitate. We all know what works best for Cookie but trying to get him to be more of an organiser I have strong doubts if that’ll work bro. Too many voices in his head isn’t good and then he tries harder and seems to overplay his hand.

callmack1

Staff member
A couple of articles from Sporting News,

South Sydney Rabbitohs centre James Roberts eyeing off NRL premiership over NSW Origin recall in 2020

It's been a rollercoaster 18 or so months for South Sydney Rabbitohs star James Roberts - but in 2020, his focus has shifted well away from individual accolades to claiming his first NRL title.

The 26-year old was a part of the 2018 State of Origin winning side for NSW, but a year later had moved clubs and fallen out of favour with Blues selectors.

Brisbane shopped him around, and former coach Wayne Bennett obliged and brought the Rabbitohs junior back to where his career started.

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows for Roberts after moving back to Redfern, struggling for consistency at the club he made his debut for almost a decade earlier.

But Roberts looks fitter, faster and more focused than ever heading into this season - and told Sporting News on Tuesday about his new goals after some time to reflect in the off-season.

“It’s good to have a full pre-season, get the head right I suppose and get the confidence back," he said.

"My body is feeling pretty good, and I can’t wait to play some footy.

“It would be nice to get back into Origin, but it’s not really a goal of mine to be honest.

"My main objective now is to win a comp, tick that box and that’s all I’m focused on.

"I just want to play some good footy for Souths, and if anything else comes then so be it. I’m not too fussed about anything else at the moment."

Roberts looked at his exciting best in last weekend's All Stars clash, and appears to have put the injuries that plagued him last year in the rear-view mirror.

The La Perouse Panthers junior was on deck on Tuesday morning for the announcement of long-time friend Adam Reynolds as the club's new skipper - something Roberts admitted he was very happy about.

“I think he will be good mate, I’m really happy for him," he told Sporting News.

"We played juniors and that together with La Perouse when we were younger, and played Under 20s together growing up here at Souths.

"It’s good to see him get the captaincy and it’s even better as a Souths junior to see him get the gig. It's pretty special."

The Rabbitohs will travel to Mudgee this weekend for the Charity Shield against the Dragons, before starting their NRL campaign against Cronulla.

Alex Johnston to stay and fight for his spot at South Sydney following Latrell Mitchell arrival

The arrival of Latrell Mitchell at the South Sydney Rabbitohs is an exciting time for all involved - but it has left their 2019 fullback Alex Johnston on the outer heading into Round 1.

The 25-year old played a large chunk of last year in the No.1 jumper, but now finds himself in a three-way battle for two wing spots with Dane Gagai and Campbell Graham.

It is believed that Gagai and Graham will be given first crack, meaning Johnston will either be on the bench or in reserve grade to start the season.

But the former premiership winner told Sporting News on Tuesday that he has no desire to up and leave the Rabbitohs, and is willing to stay and fight for the spot he feels he can excel in.

“I think we will get a glimpse in the Charity Shield what my role is," he said.

"I’m looking forward to getting out there, do my role for the team and anything Wayne wants me to do I’ll do it.

“I’d prefer just to be playing footy – it doesn’t have to be at fullback.

"I love playing on the wing as well, and if I do play there I will be one of the best wingers in the comp.

"I just want to be out there playing footy, whether it is at fullback or wing I don’t care."

It is the sort of mentality that you want from a player battling for their position, even though AJ could easily walk in to most other NRL sides.

Johnston has played 123 games for South Sydney, as well as representing Australia in 2015 - but his first grade career now appears at a crossroads.

But one of his rivals for a wing spot in Campbell Graham told Sporting News that nothing has been confirmed yet by Wayne Bennett despite the competition starting in a fortnight.

“Nothing is assured yet," he said.

"We’ve got the Charity Shield this weekend, and I think that will be a good spot to put your best foot forward.

"Hopefully Wayne likes what he sees from me and picks me in the strongest side for Round 1.

"All I can do is ensure I do everything in my power to perform well and get a spot there."

The Rabbitohs will travel to Mudgee this Saturday for the Charity Shield fixture against the Dragons, before starting their NRL season against Cronulla.

callmack1

Staff member
For & Against - Will Latrell be a success at fullback for Souths?: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-latrell-be-a-success-at-fullback-for-souths/

Burns understands his body more now: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/02/26/burns-understands-his-body-more-now/

Last time Cody Walker had a booze ban he made the Blues team. He’s back on the wagon: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/39d09737255a3d8e4c3d6c48bbe466b5

Mark Geyer says shock positional switch for Cameron Murray may stunt Souths’ attack: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ma...k/news-story/cb67c7b97b46bc8abe53fc495b166f4d

truthslayer

Juniors

South Sydney Rabbitohs centre James Roberts eyeing off NRL premiership over NSW Origin recall in 2020

It's been a rollercoaster 18 or so months for South Sydney Rabbitohs star James Roberts - but in 2020, his focus has shifted well away from individual accolades to claiming his first NRL title.

The 26-year old was a part of the 2018 State of Origin winning side for NSW, but a year later had moved clubs and fallen out of favour with Blues selectors.

Brisbane shopped him around, and former coach Wayne Bennett obliged and brought the Rabbitohs junior back to where his career started.

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows for Roberts after moving back to Redfern, struggling for consistency at the club he made his debut for almost a decade earlier.

But Roberts looks fitter, faster and more focused than ever heading into this season - and told Sporting News on Tuesday about his new goals after some time to reflect in the off-season.

“It’s good to have a full pre-season, get the head right I suppose and get the confidence back," he said.

“It would be nice to get back into Origin, but it’s not really a goal of mine to be honest.

"My main objective now is to win a comp, tick that box and that’s all I’m focused on.

"I just want to play some good footy for Souths, and if anything else comes then so be it. I’m not too fussed about anything else at the moment."

Roberts looked at his exciting best in last weekend's All Stars clash, and appears to have put the injuries that plagued him last year in the rear-view mirror.

The La Perouse Panthers junior was on deck on Tuesday morning for the announcement of long-time friend Adam Reynolds as the club's new skipper - something Roberts admitted he was very happy about.

“I think he will be good mate, I’m really happy for him," he told Sporting News.

"We played juniors and that together with La Perouse when we were younger, and played Under 20s together growing up here at Souths.

"It’s good to see him get the captaincy and it’s even better as a Souths junior to see him get the gig. It's pretty special."

The Rabbitohs will travel to Mudgee this weekend for the Charity Shield against the Dragons, before starting their NRL campaign against Cronulla.

Alex Johnston to stay and fight for his spot at South Sydney following Latrell Mitchell arrival

The arrival of Latrell Mitchell at the South Sydney Rabbitohs is an exciting time for all involved - but it has left their 2019 fullback Alex Johnston on the outer heading into Round 1.

The 25-year old played a large chunk of last year in the No.1 jumper, but now finds himself in a three-way battle for two wing spots with Dane Gagai and Campbell Graham.

It is believed that Gagai and Graham will be given first crack, meaning Johnston will either be on the bench or in reserve grade to start the season.

But the former premiership winner told Sporting News on Tuesday that he has no desire to up and leave the Rabbitohs, and is willing to stay and fight for the spot he feels he can excel in.

"I’m looking forward to getting out there, do my role for the team and anything Wayne wants me to do I’ll do it.

"I love playing on the wing as well, and if I do play there I will be one of the best wingers in the comp.

"I just want to be out there playing footy, whether it is at fullback or wing I don’t care."

It is the sort of mentality that you want from a player battling for their position, even though AJ could easily walk in to most other NRL sides.

Johnston has played 123 games for South Sydney, as well as representing Australia in 2015 - but his first grade career now appears at a crossroads.

But one of his rivals for a wing spot in Campbell Graham told Sporting News that nothing has been confirmed yet by Wayne Bennett despite the competition starting in a fortnight.

"We’ve got the Charity Shield this weekend, and I think that will be a good spot to put your best foot forward.

"Hopefully Wayne likes what he sees from me and picks me in the strongest side for Round 1.

"All I can do is ensure I do everything in my power to perform well and get a spot there."

The Rabbitohs will travel to Mudgee this Saturday for the Charity Shield fixture against the Dragons, before starting their NRL season against Cronulla.
Good work AJ I like that attitude.

callmack1

Staff member
Goodwin ready to make most of surprise Redfern swan song: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/27/goodwin-ready-to-make-most-of-surprise-redfern-swan-song/

Life without Sam - Why Cameron Murray move won’t work and the pressure falls on Liam Knight: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e1e4543c1b20b57bb3f462346f9ed3d9

Also, great news straight from Cam Murray's mouth in the Daily Telegraph. We kind of knew this all along but it's good to hear him say it. Promising signs,

Cameron Murray slams Sydney Roosters rumours, Mark Geyer

South Sydney star Cameron Murray determined to prove critics of his positional switch wrong, while addressing rumours linking him to the Sydney Roosters.

Cameron Murray has heard the whispers linking him to a lucrative Roosters switch, but insists his only new partnership in 2020 will be “outside the game’s best attacking five-eighth”.

Ranked among the code’s most exciting young forwards, 22-year-old Murray has told The Daily Telegraph he not only wants to stay with South Sydney long-term, but expects his game to reach new levels this year outside livewire No.6 Cody Walker.

Despite being named 2019 Dally M Lock of the Year, Murray is moving to the Rabbitohs left edge this season as part of a controversial switch set to be debuted during Saturday night’s Charity Shield match in Mudgee.

While some media commentators have questioned coach Wayne Bennett’s decision — including Triple M’s Mark Geyer, who suggests Murray he will be “wasted” in his new role — the Kangaroo incumbent insists he will get even better outside Walker.

“Cody Walker is the game’s best attacking five-eighth,” Murray said. “And the best eyes up player (anywhere).

“Over the past couple of years, he’s proved himself a great ball player, a great leader and one of the few playmakers in the NRL who can really square up a (defensive) line.

“Cody not only goes to the line, he puts himself under pressure to put others in better positions.

“And I want to capitalise on that.

“Want to capitalise on his eyes up footy too.

“Cody’s wonderful playing off the cuff and my support will have to be really strong so that he gets the options he needs.”

While signed to Souths for the next two years, rumours have circulated since January suggesting the NSW Origin backrower could sign a lucrative deal with the Roosters.

“Those rumours, they’ve been around for a couple of months,” the Rabbitohs young gun conceded. “And while I have no idea where the talk is coming from, I can tell you it isn’t true.

“There has been nothing from me, my manager or my camp.

“I’ve got another two years here at South Sydney and that’s what I’m focused on.

“I couldn’t be more excited about what’s about to happen here.”

Asked if he was annoyed by the speculation, especially on the eve of a new NRL season, Murray continued: “What’s the point of me getting upset?

“There is nothing I can do about it.

“I’ll focus on are those things I can control, starting with the next training session here at Souths.”

On Wednesday, Triple M’s Mark Geyer questioned Murray being shifted to the left edge following the retirement of club favourite John Sutton, suggesting the rising star would be “wasted”.

Geyer added the move would also have a negative impact on Souths attacking game, given the opportunities Murray created in the middle both with his strong passing game and quick play-the-balls.

Asked about the thinking behind the move, Murray continued: “Wayne says for our pack to be as effective as possible, my best position is left edge.

“And I agree.

“There’s a great opportunity for me outside Cody, plus it also allows Liam Knight to grab that number 13 jersey and become the player we all know he can be.

“We’ve worked hard throughout the pre-season and, this week, I’m really just looking forward to getting out to Mudgee and making it all a reality.”

callmack1

Staff member
The red (and green) tape that tends to slow down anything.

This is because we live in the age of bean/counters

The only good thing about latrell and you lot was the dodgy money you paid for him. So he doesn’t care about money and good on him for that. Rare.

I’d say bennett won’t be retiring after his contract is up. He’s still coaching pretty well at the moment.

Other than that, he should take up a role with the nrl on coaching relations. Sounds counter intuitive but he’s a genius.

He could turn any club around in 3 years max.

Even the bronco players went to his bbq that year instead of the club function. That was funny.

As soon as he’s says he is not interested in a player, they can be pencilled in by seasons end at the latest

I’d say the saints need him badly. They need an expedited post-McGregor era. He’s the man.

Aj needs to move on. He’s a very good player and he’d kill it in esl. Roberts is a wild beast, I like him as a player and a person. Latrell I don’t really like for his antics and wasting our team. He belted up our recruiters, maybe they learned a few things. Madge never wanted him. He’s still a bit suss. Be wary.

Roberts has strong character. He’s the opposite of latrell. He plays to kill. The eyes slip into the back of his head and he’s off! He’s just frightening in full flight. Wonderful player.

Last edited:

CliveC

Juniors
The conservatives are killing the concept of a fair go for everyone,more like a fair go for big business,the rorting with franking credits is still going on unabated.