What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V West Tigers

Dragonslayer

First Grade
2 weeks from our opening game of 2020, and nearly time for our first team list Tuesday.

So, to kick things off, here is my team for round 1: (based on what I've seen in the trials). We all know McGregor will totally stick to his favourites.

1. Lomax
2. Ravalawa
3. Fuimaono
4. Williame
5. Periera
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. Luke
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizell
13. Host

14. Brittain
15. Graham
16. Merrin
17. Ford

gitano

Juniors
Good chat about Mary sticking with his favourites. Picking Lomax in first grade after his constant rubbish says you have yours.

gitano

Juniors
1. Sailor
2. Saab
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Pereira
6. Norman
7. Clune
8. Vaughn
9. Hunt
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizell
13. Host

14. Lawrie
15. Fuimoalo
16. Luke
17. Merrin

Kylez3

Juniors
1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Williame
4. Lafai (sadly)
5. Peirera (can cop Rava too)
6. Normah
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Luke
10. Graham (Kerr when fit)
11. Frizz
12. Sims
13. Merrin

14. Brittain
15. Fuimaono
16. Lawrie
17. K Sims (should be right for R1 apparently)

Would love to see Clune get a chance and obviously we need Kerr/Cameron back ASAP.

Just don't want Aitken anywhere near the team. That's my number one wish.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Saab and Jordy on the wing. Lomax and Williame in the centres, Sailor at fullback.
Happy with the rest of the squad which is predicted after my suggestions

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Just wondering if there’s scope to bypass Luke altogether? I thought his performance was terribly underwhelming last night.

Maybe Hunt and Brittain could share the hooking role until McInnes returns (especially since Saints is well stocked with back rowers)?

7. Hunt, 9. Brittain is what I’d run with. Of course, it means that the bench would be bereft of someone outside of being a prop.

My side:

1. Lomax
2. Sailor
3. Williame
4. Lafai (I’d earmark Ramsey here)
5. Peirera
6. Clune (the Norman myth has to be excluded)
7. Hunt
13. Merrin
12. T. Sims
11. Frizell
10. Vaughan
9. Brittain
8. Lswrie (sadly there isn’t a better alternative....remember the salad days when SGI had a ‘conveyor belt of front rowers? Not anymore)

14. Graham (although Kerr is a better option)
15. Fuimaono
16. Ford
17. Host (although I’d prefer K. Sims)

Walpole

Juniors
If Mary has learnt nothing, which on all evidence is the case, Aitken and Lafai will be the centres. Lomax will be the fullback, at least for 1 or 2 games (think Kurt Mann) before heading to the wing or bench. Williame's only chance for round 1 is on a wing, with the usual suspects also in the mix.

The chances of a backline with a bit of spark, say - 1.Sailor 2. Saab 3.Lomax 4.Williame 5.Ramsey - are virtually non- existent.

gitano

Juniors
I want to see that Lafai guy on the wing, he was a sensation last night and god only knows why he would have wasted his entire career playing in the centres when he could have shown off his outstanding speed and agility on the wing.
He went very well there. He scored that try too.

Crush

Coach
If Mary has learnt nothing, which on all evidence is the case, Aitken and Lafai will be the centres. Lomax will be the fullback, at least for 1 or 2 games (think Kurt Mann) before heading to the wing or bench. Williame's only chance for round 1 is on a wing, with the usual suspects also in the mix.

The chances of a backline with a bit of spark, say - 1.Sailor 2. Saab 3.Lomax 4.Williame 5.Ramsey - are virtually non- existent.
I'd like to see that young backline too. Would it be slick and powerful, probably not. Would they leak points in defense, probably. But at least it would have a bit of spark and give us something to cheer about!
This Aitken, Lafai, Pereria, Rava stuff has been tried and tested and guess what? It sux!
Throw caution to the wind I say, 2020 is a year to experiment a bit.

TruSaint

Referee
I'd like to see that young backline too. Would it be slick and powerful, probably not. Would they leak points in defense, probably. But at least it would have a bit of spark and give us something to cheer about!
This Aitken, Lafai, Pereria, Rava stuff has been tried and tested and guess what? It sux!
Throw caution to the wind I say, 2020 is a year to experiment a bit.

Yep, agree with this approach.

Expectations are low to start with. If Flanagan can improve our defence, I would like to see our attack offer something other than hit up's, d/h runs followed by a Hunt bomb. Predictable and boring as fook.

Spots to be based on form and nothing else.

giboz71

First Grade

It’s a nice looking backline but 2021 will be the earliest we will see it (if at all).

If Nathan Brown were our coach and he had the luxury of a 3-5 year plan like he had at Newy, you might see a backline like that.

Not whilst Mary is trying to save his job.