What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Our centres, Aitken and Lafai, are the 2 weakest in the comp. They rank 31 and 32.
Lomax is solid at absolute best but doesn't have an ounce of Xfactor. He'll never turn a game like Turbo, Teddy, CNK and many more.
Our backline is absolutely terrible.
Halves looked rubbish too, crabbing sideways.
Long season if we preserver with this backline.
Our halves lose confidence when their plays end up in the hands of ordinary centres and wingers, why Ravalava is still in the 17 is beyond me. We have had a successful reggies team for years. Why purchase a winger like that when we already have wingers who prove it in nsw cup?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Our halves lose confidence when their plays end up in the hands of ordinary centres and wingers, why Ravalava is still in the 17 is beyond me. We have had a successful reggies team for years. Why purchase a winger like that when we already have wingers who prove it in nsw cup?

Well, that’s the problem....NSW Cup (standard only). Here’s a novel idea; why not get a winger (or two) who has already proven himself in first grade?

It’s probably too progressive for McIdiot and Millward though.

P.S. is there any hope of coaxing Nightingale out of retirement?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You are deflecting this conversation into a completely different direction to suit your narrative as usual. Not once did I mention goal line defence, and did BB miss any tackles or let in a try which would lead you down that rabbit hole? Winning games is largely about swinging the possession around and getting in good field position. Yes sometimes teams will win with an uneven share of possession but over the course of a season no matter how good the defence an uneven share is always going to catch up with you. We didn't look like getting into the contest besides an against the run of play try off a kick. As soon as BB come on we rolled up the field and he setup a try. We immediately started to swing the possession around and look more dangerous. Watch the game again if you have time between trolling people to make your wang feel bigger.

There’s an incorrect assumption in your last sentence. BTW, does Muzby deflect when on the back foot? I hadn’t noticed. Of course, your observations regarding the game are adroit and pretty spot on.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Well, that’s the problem....NSW Cup (standard only). Here’s a novel idea; why not get a winger (or two) who has already proven himself in first grade?

It’s probably too progressive for McIdiot and Millward though.

P.S. is there any hope of coaxing Nightingale out of retirement?
Good point! Why weren’t we hammering for Gagai and the Foxx? We desperately need outside backs. I’m only trying to work within the parameters which we have been given buddy. It’s beyond irritating. The inconvenience has become a problem!

I can't help but wonder about this particular fixture every year and why we have managed to lose it 8 years in a row.
I am not sure I have the answers but after today, I have the following questions:
1. Why were we wearing the full red strip today?
Souths home game - they should have been wearing their traditional Myrtle and Green stripes and we should have been wearing our traditional Red V.
What amplified this was the interview with Trent Merrin who told us how passionate he was about pulling on the famous Red V again after so long. WHAT RED V? We looked like a big bunch of tomatoes!
2. It's only a Trial - yes it is, but it is only a trial for Souths as well. McGregor sitting with a smirk on his face watching the second half capitulation really annoyed me to be honest.
I think plenty of players put the effort in but we seem to fall well short year after year.
Whatever happened to pride in the jersey?

McGregor continues to be a boil that needs to be lanced but the constant fades are psychological.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We need a complete new no 6 and no 7 did shit all game. 2nd half got beaten by a under 20s no7 and no 6 shit.
Taaffe looks like a very good prospect. They may have to let Walker go in the next year or 2 to keep him.

Frank Facer

First Grade
It’s easy to score points if you have a good attack, just look at our multitude of wins under Bennett...

And easy to defend points it you have a good defence..

Clear example is our game
in Wollongong in around ‘10 or ‘11 when we defended 6 sets of 6 on our line vs manly...

Whilst I applaud your efforts playing junior footy, it’s difficult to translate your experience into those of the first grade team..
Our attack wasn't very good under Bennett. It was our defence that was good under Bennett. We used to take the 2 points on offer more than any other club in the comp under Bennett.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lomax to centre. Lafai and Aitken to reggies. Bring in Williame.
Try snag Johnson from Souths.
I hope you are not implying we sign Johnson to play fullback for us. I say no way to that idea, I would rather Lomax. Hopefully Ramsey becomes our long term fullback, with Lomax at centre, but Lomax may be the best option we have for fullback this year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I really like Fuimaono but I cant fit him in my side as it would be out of him and Ford which Ford shades him to me. The best solution all round seeing as though he is a right centre is to play him there over Aitken. Never going to happen though.
I don't think Fuimaono is a centre, I think he is an edge backrower.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Our outside backs are still a major weakness for me, Brandy was hinting at it all night which was nice to see. Wiliame looks more than good enough for me but will he be picked and why does Euan have no competition for his spot?
That is a really good point. Why doesn't Aitken have any competition for his spot? He shouldn't even be there, yet Mary gives him virtually a whole game in each trial, giving no one else a chance to impress. I would rather we fast tracked one of the Feagai brothers straight to first grade instead of Aitken. I would also like to see Rava given a run at centre. I think he could be a success there.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I hope you are not implying we sign Johnson to play fullback for us. I say no way to that idea, I would rather Lomax. Hopefully Ramsey becomes our long term fullback, with Lomax at centre, but Lomax may be the best option we have for fullback this year.
Mate, that’s a very logical choice. I just don’t trust our current coaching situation to nurture Ramsey into the custodian position. I guess I was slightly having a go at the fact that Johnson impressed more than Mitchell tonight. We spend a lot of time in this forum giving it to our boys and don’t have fun digging at the opposition.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You’re our saviour Frank.. You should probably tell Mary your thoughts.
I totally agree that I should tell Mary my thoughts, but I don't have his personal phone number and even if I did, I doubt that he would listen to me. If I did get to speak to him, I would ask him why he has continued to select Aitken and Lafai for the last 4 years or so?

I would also tell him to go and watch Corey Norman when he played halfback for Parra with Gutherson 5/8. I would tell him to give Norman control of the team and play Hunt 5/8 or hooker.

I would tell him to give Rava a run in the centres and that he may be a better centre than winger.

One day I may be our club's saviour, but that will be when I am rich enough to buy it.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
I’ve said it before & I’ll keep saying it, We are the worst side in the nrl when it comes to skill. Just the basic catch & pass is beyond them as displayed by Aitken. The forwards can’t or don’t pass. We also lack size & are easily manhandled.
L plates use of the bench hasn’t improved either. Sailor & Clune 8 minutes.
Saab 5 & Gale even less.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Have to remember besides Ramsey we also have Schiller who will play JF this year and young Sloan who's in a very good SG Ball team. Both can play fullback.

Lomax is the incumbent. He's hasnt had a full game there yet in a fixed squad of 17 in a full match. I'm prepared to give him some time before passing any judgement.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I recorded the game as I went out with the family to celebrate birthdays. I found out that we didn't do all that well in the second half (message from my brother who is also a Dragons fanatic). So I wont be desperate to watch the game. Reading the posts on this thread about the game seems to me that it is very obvious that we do not want:-
Mary - in particular
Lafai
Aitken
Norman
and want several positional player changes.

I agree with these and what I must say is that Mary should have given the new guys more time in the game seeing that it was only a trial. We know how useless Lafai and Aitken are - only have them on for 20 minutes then take them off and leave them off. Take Norman and Hunt off as well and keep the likes of Clune and Sailor on for much longer - it is only a trial game as I said and unfortunately we have not won the shield since 2012 I think so another loss is not going to kill us as it was essential to see how the other kids would perform.

I just hope that our defence has improved. I don't think our attack was much chop seeing that we didn't score in the second half. That is why we need a good ball player like Clune playing in the halves for the full 80 minutes. I've said it in other threads, Clune is like Keary and that is the sort of player we need to give us better attacking options. Norman isn't the guy to do this and should not be in the team. Hunt tries too hard and should try and play with a lot more composure.

We will now have to wait to see who is picked for Round 1 against the Tigers. If it is a team comprising the same players who just do not make things happen or do not tackle ball and all (Steve Rogers style), then we will be languishing at the bottom from game 1 onwards.
I like you comparison of Clune to Cleary. I see where you are coming from. They both will go to the line and commit defenders before putting a player through a hole. They are both very smart too. Keary would have the better running game. Clune looks more like an out and out halback to me than Keary who is interchangeable between halfback and 5/8.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Flo was in the crowd tonight. In the stand bantering with hecklers like the rest of us. Had a good chat. Looks like he could pull on the jersey again.

That was a highlight. Also, the steak sangas were great. And Young Henrys beer for sale, we sat next to two good fellas who were there to promote it.

First half was promising. But McGregor took over the second shift.

Wayne Bennett only had to say, "belt them up the middle for the next 10 minutes." Can't imagine why Mary didn't see it coming.

Worst part is that Souths looked like they had another gear in reserve.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Have to remember besides Ramsey we also have Schiller who will play JF this year and young Sloan who's in a very good SG Ball team. Both can play fullback.

Lomax is the incumbent. He's hasnt had a full game there yet in a fixed squad of 17 in a full match. I'm prepared to give him some time before passing any judgement.
I would continue with Lomax at fullback this year. I would blood Ramsey on the wing this year. I also have high hopes for Schiller. Right now I am viewing him as a centre or fullback. Slone looked good in the the highlights package I saw of him. He can play numerous positions in the backline, with fullback and 5/8 looking his best two spots. He will need to fill out a bit to play first grade.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Flo was in the crowd tonight. In the stand bantering with hecklers like the rest of us. Had a good chat. Looks like he could pull on the jersey again.

That was a highlight. Also, the steak sangas were great. And Young Henrys beer for sale, we sat next to two good fellas who were there to promote it.

First half was promising. But McGregor took over the second shift.

Wayne Bennett only had to say, "belt them up the middle for the next minutes." Can't imagine why Mary didn't see it coming.

Worst part is that Souths looked like they had another gear in reserve.
Great post. And I had a feeling the second half wasn’t being run by the same pilot as the first, McChromeDome had a giggle on camera at a difficult time during the game, much like his thumbs up in the 9s. I think he’s completely delusional. Be rid of this parasite Saints.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Good point! Why weren’t we hammering for Gagai and the Foxx? We desperately need outside backs. I’m only trying to work within the parameters which we have been given buddy. It’s beyond irritating. The inconvenience has become a problem!
Gagai is on massive overs at Souths, they can't offload him either. I would like the Foxx at the right price. Although I doubt we will get him. He wants to go to a Sydney club.