What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bega Trial vs the Eels

kinghippo

Juniors
This is incorrect (Whare fan here)
His draw and pass to To'o for the try, proves why he is a 1st grade centre, yes he doesn't try to break or bend the line, but thats not his job, 2nd rowers do that and guys like Laterall Mitchell who are big bodies, nope whare defensively hold his own, and snaps guys in half, and draw & pass gives To'o room and doesn't leave him stranded in defence, this is perfect centre/winger pairing, Naden is a strike winger playing in the centres, he needs to have a safer centre option on his inside, Burns for me is perfect blend of unpredictablity, and mansauce is done IMO, if he is still on roster round1 Ivan will have proven that he has gone sentimental.
Luai is a halfback, unless Nathan is injured or moved to 6 or 9, Luai isn't as effective being 3rd reciever, he needs to be at halfback, again Nathan at 7 is a sentimental choice, maloney was our halfback last year, yet Nathan wears the 7. He has played rep sides a 5/8th, why are we persisting with him there??? Nathan and Burton in the halves are too similar. Need ying/yang, Luai provides this but not @ 5/8th
Has to be 1st receiver.

My top17 side.

1=Crichton/Edwards.
2=Naden.
3=Whare.
4=Burns.
5=To'o.
6=Cleary.
7=Luai.
8=Tamou.
9=Korisau.
10=Leota.
11=Fisher-Harris.
12=Capewell.
13=Yeo.

14=Burton/May.
15=Martin.
16=Kikau.
17=Tetevano.

May returns round 5, and Edwards is injured for 2 months, so they'll slot back in for Crichton and Burton

Kikau needs to inject himself into the game 20mins in, this is done when Tamou and Leota come off, repaced by Tetevano and JFH moves to prop,
Capewell only moves to centres if they get injured mid game, Martin comes on for anyone blown out. And Burton or May can cover hooker or the backline
I like that backline and I dont mind Luai but prefer Burton. Whoever comes into 5/8 will make some mistakes but will grow.
I still like the idea of giving Burton a proper trial in the reserves as fullback, with him or May coming in if Luai doesn’t work out.

With Naden on a wing and Creighton at fullback I like whare in the centre’s with Burns.
I just don’t think Edwards/ Aekins, whare and mansour on the field at once works.

hindy111

Post Whore
With Edwards out. Why was there no audition for fullback?

Crichton should have had arun at 1. Likewise Luai and/or Burton. Seen who's the best man for the job.

Aekins is average af. Yet he just gets the job by default.

Alex Johnston is too good for NSW CUP . If Souths chipped in he would be a great pick up

OldPanther

Coach
His draw and pass to To'o for the try, proves why he is a 1st grade centre, yes he doesn't try to break or bend the line, but thats not his job, 2nd rowers do that and guys like Laterall Mitchell who are big bodies, nope whare defensively hold his own, and snaps guys in half, and draw & pass gives To'o room and doesn't leave him stranded in defence, this is perfect centre/winger pairing, Naden is a strike winger playing in the centres, he needs to have a safer centre option on his inside, Burns for me is perfect blend of unpredictablity, and mansauce is done IMO, if he is still on roster round1 Ivan will have proven that he has gone sentimental.
Luai is a halfback, unless Nathan is injured or moved to 6 or 9, Luai isn't as effective being 3rd reciever, he needs to be at halfback, again Nathan at 7 is a sentimental choice, maloney was our halfback last year, yet Nathan wears the 7. He has played rep sides a 5/8th, why are we persisting with him there??? Nathan and Burton in the halves are too similar. Need ying/yang, Luai provides this but not @ 5/8th
Has to be 1st receiver.

My top17 side.

1=Crichton/Edwards.
2=Naden.
3=Whare.
4=Burns.
5=To'o.
6=Cleary.
7=Luai.
8=Tamou.
9=Korisau.
10=Leota.
11=Fisher-Harris.
12=Capewell.
13=Yeo.

14=Burton/May.
15=Martin.
16=Kikau.
17=Tetevano.

May returns round 5, and Edwards is injured for 2 months, so they'll slot back in for Crichton and Burton

Kikau needs to inject himself into the game 20mins in, this is done when Tamou and Leota come off, repaced by Tetevano and JFH moves to prop,
Capewell only moves to centres if they get injured mid game, Martin comes on for anyone blown out. And Burton or May can cover hooker or the backline

Luai isn't a halfback. Doesn't have the kicking game and can't play to a structure if his life depended on it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Has to be 1st receiver.

My top17 side.

1=Crichton/Edwards.
2=Naden.
3=Whare.
4=Burns.
5=To'o.
6=Cleary.
7=Luai.
8=Tamou.
9=Korisau.
10=Leota.
11=Fisher-Harris.
12=Capewell.
13=Yeo.

14=Burton/May.
15=Martin.
16=Kikau.
17=Tetevano.

I too am a Whare fan. I used to be the leader of his fan club.
That pass most centres should do a centre should break the line or be strong off the line but he is not.
The ACL injuries are really taking their toll.
I would love to see the Whare of old but I just don’t see it

Abacus

Juniors
I just don’t think Edwards/ Aekins, whare and mansour on the field at once works.
This is it in a nutshell. However, I think Whare is also the best centre we have at the club - not surprising we had no issues down our right side yesterday.

Like most on here, I think Naden has to go to wing. He had some truly inept defensive efforts yesterday. If he stays at centre, the left side will continue to be our weakness.

Obviously Mansour then misses out. Not that he had a terrible game yesterday - bombed a try then touched down Burton's grubber but probably lucky that Fergo had 1 of his shockers. Naden I think just provides more upside than Mansour (if not right now then definitely by the end of the season).

The question then is what to do at FB? I'm not sold on Crichton as an option there and a part of me salivates at the thought of Burton there, but realistically I don't see our first 5 rounds as the time to throw anyone in the deep end. So Aekins is my pick for round 1 on a perform or perish basis. In particular he needs to show speed, footwork or ball-play - none of which I saw from him yesterday.

My team for Round 1:
  1. Aekins
  2. To'o
  3. Whare
  4. Crichton
  5. Naden
  6. Luai/Burton
  7. Cleary
  8. Tamou
  9. Koroisau
  10. JFH
  11. Kikau
  12. Capewell
  13. Yeo
  14. Kenny
  15. Tetevano
  16. Martin
  17. Leota/Hetherington
I saw enough yesterday to know that Luai can't cover the hooking duties when Api has a break - defensively we go to pieces. So Kenny needs to be on the bench.

OldPanther

Coach
This is it in a nutshell. However, I think Whare is also the best centre we have at the club - not surprising we had no issues down our right side yesterday.

Like most on here, I think Naden has to go to wing. He had some truly inept defensive efforts yesterday. If he stays at centre, the left side will continue to be our weakness.

Obviously Mansour then misses out. Not that he had a terrible game yesterday - bombed a try then touched down Burton's grubber but probably lucky that Fergo had 1 of his shockers. Naden I think just provides more upside than Mansour (if not right now then definitely by the end of the season).

The question then is what to do at FB? I'm not sold on Crichton as an option there and a part of me salivates at the thought of Burton there, but realistically I don't see our first 5 rounds as the time to throw anyone in the deep end. So Aekins is my pick for round 1 on a perform or perish basis. In particular he needs to show speed, footwork or ball-play - none of which I saw from him yesterday.

My team for Round 1:
  1. Aekins
  2. To'o
  3. Whare
  4. Crichton
  5. Naden
  6. Luai/Burton
  7. Cleary
  8. Tamou
  9. Koroisau
  10. JFH
  11. Kikau
  12. Capewell
  13. Yeo
  14. Kenny
  15. Tetevano
  16. Martin
  17. Leota/Hetherington
I saw enough yesterday to know that Luai can't cover the hooking duties when Api has a break - defensively we go to pieces. So Kenny needs to be on the bench.

I'm watching again now and agree with a lot of this. Crichton is a risk Vs reward option I just think the risk is worth it. Luai is actually better in attack from 9 than 6. How is that possible @franklin2323 you know the lower grades?!

Pomoz

Bench
Aekins wife had a baby last week. If he wasn't tired from the emotional stress of that then I would be amazed. Considering he would not have been full of beans against Parra, I thought he went well and deserves a crack in the first game. The second reason he deserves a crack in the first game is that throwing in Crichton is massively risky and could damage his confidence and at this stage of his career he doesn't need that.

Crichton should take Mansour's spot and although we lose metres during the first few sets out of our half, we gain so much more in attack. I wouldn't worry about Crichton's confidence playing on the wing and Crichton and Too are a huge step up in quality for our wing play compared to DWZ and Mansour last year.

We all know Cleary is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher so Mansour will be playing. This is just rhetorical discussion, enjoyable though it is.

OldPanther

Coach
9 makes him run straight I think.

Most likely. He's good when he plays direct due to his footwork and passing ability. No idea where he got the "run in circles" tactic but he needs to go back to being the guy who carved the Warriors.

OldPanther

Coach
Aekins wife had a baby last week. If he wasn't tired from the emotional stress of that then I would be amazed. Considering he would not have been full of beans against Parra, I thought he went well and deserves a crack in the first game. The second reason he deserves a crack in the first game is that throwing in Crichton is massively risky and could damage his confidence and at this stage of his career he doesn't need that.

Crichton should take Mansour's spot and although we lose metres during the first few sets out of our half, we gain so much more in attack. I wouldn't worry about Crichton's confidence playing on the wing and Crichton and Too are a huge step up in quality for our wing play compared to DWZ and Mansour last year.

We all know Cleary is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher so Mansour will be playing. This is just rhetorical discussion, enjoyable though it is.

If done differently to mine I'd have:

1. Aekins
2. Naden
3. Crichton
4. Burns/Whare
5. To'o
6. Burton
7. Cleary

Pomoz

Bench
If done differently to mine I'd have:

1. Aekins
2. Naden
3. Crichton
4. Burns/Whare
5. To'o
6. Burton
7. Cleary
Either way, Mansour's in Reggies, poor bugger. He was never fast but he has got slower after so many injuries, at least it looks that way. Against the Eeels he was still doing his usual high quality rucking the ball out of our 20m zone, but in attack his lack of pace was shown up. He is also not the best positional winger in the game. If only Dave Simmons could teach him how to be in the right place at the right time. Too get one clear opportunity, doesn't overrun the ball and bosh, try scored no fuss.

In the try that Mansour bombed, he looked short on confidence to back himself for the corner. Once he was stood up tall, instead of crouching and leaning in, his massive power base is negated and Moses could hold him up. He did everything wrong. Body position, timing, passing. Naden had no chance with those two players all over him like body wash.

OldPanther

Coach
Either way, Mansour's in Reggies, poor bugger. He was never fast but he has got slower after so many injuries, at least it looks that way. Against the Eeels he was still doing his usual high quality rucking the ball out of our 20m zone, but in attack his lack of pace was shown up. He is also not the best positional winger in the game. If only Dave Simmons could teach him how to be in the right place at the right time. Too get one clear opportunity, doesn't overrun the ball and bosh, try scored no fuss.

In the try that Mansour bombed, he looked short on confidence to back himself for the corner. Once he was stood up tall, instead of crouching and leaning in, his massive power base is negated and Moses could hold him up. He did everything wrong. Body position, timing, passing. Naden had no chance with those two players all over him like body wash.

Yeah. Dugan messing up Mansour's ACL in the Australia camp that year seems to have stuffed him a lot. It's a real shame I was and still am a big fan of the guy.

franklin2323

Immortal

nope that is just Aekins. Like Edwards probably make a decent winger but not enough at the back

Dean Faraway

Juniors
I think most fans like Mansour, myself included but I get nervous when his wing gets cross field bombs and he will definitely be targeted all season.

Latest posts