What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

possm

Coach
Fullback jersey Lomax's to lose: McGregor
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 22 Feb 2020, 08:35 PM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Share on social media
The Dragons fullback position is Zac Lomax's to lose, according to coach Paul McGregor, after the 20-year-old starred out the back with incisive runs against the Knights and converted tries in his down time.

Lomax looked right at home at No.1 even though he's only played one game as custodian in 17 NRL matches over the past two seasons. He has mainly been at centre or wing.

He chimed into the backline beautifully, had a hand in two tries and kicked four goals in the 38-12 win at Maitland.

"There's another trial but obviously with [Matt] Dufty out, Zac will get another go there next week," McGregor said looking ahead to next weekend's Charity Shield game against the Rabbitohs in Mudgee.

"It's his spot to lose. There's probably no debate over it to be totally honest.

"He's certainly the won who has done all the pre-season there with Dufty," he said.

Lomax was a picture of calm as he slotted goals from both sides of Maitland Sports Ground, where the Knights had decisive home ground support.

"And that's a real positive for us. He finished goalkicking for us last year when Gareth [Widdop] was out injured," McGregor said.

"He kicked for us in that final against Souths the year before and missed one goal. So we knew he was very good at goalkicking and he's been doing a lot of practising at training."

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

Lomax said he was taking advantage of having experienced heads around him

"I'm learning the game as much as I can and trying to be sponge. I've got such good halves around me in Ben Hunt and Corey Norman, who have played for their state and their country," Lomax told NRL.com.

"I've learned so much off them. They're petty much the best in the business and they are a great support network around me."

As for filling the fullback role for at least the opening rounds of 2020, Lomax is waving his hand in the air.

"For sure, a hundred per cent. I'd love to be able to do that job for the team," Lomax said.

"I want to compete on every play and be right there when the boys need me."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/22/fullback-jersey-lomaxs-to-lose-mcgregor/

Lomax played great yesterday in the trial against Newcastle. Let's see how he goes in the Charity Sheild; I'm sure Bennett will have his players test him. I'd say Lomax will improve each game and cement himself in the fullback position for season 2020.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Author
Timestamp
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Share on social media
The Dragons fullback position is Zac Lomax's to lose, according to coach Paul McGregor, after the 20-year-old starred out the back with incisive runs against the Knights and converted tries in his down time.

Lomax looked right at home at No.1 even though he's only played one game as custodian in 17 NRL matches over the past two seasons. He has mainly been at centre or wing.

He chimed into the backline beautifully, had a hand in two tries and kicked four goals in the 38-12 win at Maitland.

"There's another trial but obviously with [Matt] Dufty out, Zac will get another go there next week," McGregor said looking ahead to next weekend's Charity Shield game against the Rabbitohs in Mudgee.

"It's his spot to lose. There's probably no debate over it to be totally honest.

"He's certainly the won who has done all the pre-season there with Dufty," he said.

Lomax was a picture of calm as he slotted goals from both sides of Maitland Sports Ground, where the Knights had decisive home ground support.

"And that's a real positive for us. He finished goalkicking for us last year when Gareth [Widdop] was out injured," McGregor said.

"He kicked for us in that final against Souths the year before and missed one goal. So we knew he was very good at goalkicking and he's been doing a lot of practising at training."

remote.axd

"I'm learning the game as much as I can and trying to be sponge. I've got such good halves around me in Ben Hunt and Corey Norman, who have played for their state and their country," Lomax told NRL.com.

"I've learned so much off them. They're petty much the best in the business and they are a great support network around me."

As for filling the fullback role for at least the opening rounds of 2020, Lomax is waving his hand in the air.

"For sure, a hundred per cent. I'd love to be able to do that job for the team," Lomax said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/22/fullback-jersey-lomaxs-to-lose-mcgregor/

Lomax played great yesterday in the trial against Newcastle. Let's see how he goes in the Charity Sheild; I'm sure Bennett will have his players test him. I'd say Lomax will improve each game and cement himself in the fullback position for season 2020.

I'm sure the testing will be two ways (if Flanno has any say in the tactical kicking)- Mitchell is essentially overconfident and lazy. SGI would be crazy not to run him around and tire him out.

BLM01

First Grade
Author
Timestamp
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Share on social media

remote.axd

Typical NRL over excitement article after a trial game
I like to the same article written after Round 4 of 5 similar to CNK from Canberra showed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I hope our fans give Lomax a chance at fullback. Im sure we will work his arse off to become a solid player throughout the year. Look at the Roosters, they went pretty average at the beginning of last year but they want play good in the last rounds not the first. Hopefully we have that patience with him and realise early in the year he may win us some games and lose us some others but even if he eventually moves back to centre it will be worth the investment in time there because in the event of an injury mid game he can move back there and hold his own.

rasaint

Juniors
If Matt Dufty dropped bombs, ineffective line goal tackles and kicked dead from the restart he would be hammered from pillar to post. Zac is a top line goal kicker and an average NRL centre. Please get some brilliance back at fullback either Ramsey or Dufty. Do you really want a ‘solid’ fullback, come on. For all Dufty is maligned he was a significant reason why we almost won it in 2018. Because the opposition teams sweat on brilliant players and that takes the pressure off others.

Zac has scored a long term deal at a reported $500k a year what 6 years? No doubt he will train hard and always give his best. If he has to be in the team then let it be at centre.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
If Matt Dufty dropped bombs, ineffective line goal tackles and kicked dead from the restart he would be hammered from pillar to post. Zac is a top line goal kicker and an average NRL centre. Please get some brilliance back at fullback either Ramsey or Dufty. Do you really want a ‘solid’ fullback, come on. For all Dufty is maligned he was a significant reason why we almost won it in 2018. Because the opposition teams sweat on brilliant players and that takes the pressure off others.

Zac has scored a long term deal at a reported $500k a year what 6 years? No doubt he will train hard and always give his best. If he has to be in the team then let it be at centre.
100% mate. He’s a centre. And we need good centres. Dufty’s confidence was knocked about massively due to our spine decisions last season. He was magic in 2018, and he basically did the last good thing for Saints’ season in the Anzac match 2019. Mary’s decisions with our backs is and has been atrocious

gitano

Juniors
I think we could be waiting a while unfortunately. I said it last year, some players just don't develop or transition as expected. Talented junior but hasn't shown yet that he is a quality NRL standard player.

Obviously the club think he's worth persisting with - time will tell. Hands are an issue.

rasaint

Juniors
Good posts Shaun and Gitano.

Zac is a centre at best. He has never shown me anything I can be excited about. I don’t think he will improve much to what he is now. Zac is a very good goal kicker and we need that but at what cost? To win a comp you need a brilliant fullback. That’s why Bennett as got Mitchell, he needed a brilliant fullback. Easts have Teddy, the storm had Slater.

Go with young Ramsey or Dufty.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Good posts Shaun and Gitano.

Zac is a centre at best. He has never shown me anything I can be excited about. I don’t think he will improve much to what he is now. Zac is a very good goal kicker and we need that but at what cost? To win a comp you need a brilliant fullback. That’s why Bennett as got Mitchell, he needed a brilliant fullback. Easts have Teddy, the storm had Slater.

Go with young Ramsey or Dufty.
Does anyone remember Lee Murphy? He was touted as a saviour. He was hopeless. We have a tendency to overrate some of our juniors and dismiss other promising ones. No consistency. And then when one of them is doing ok, we’ll bring in a journeyman to smash their opportunity.

gitano

Juniors
Does anyone remember Lee Murphy? He was touted as a saviour. He was hopeless. We have a tendency to overrate some of our juniors and dismiss other promising ones. No consistency. And then when one of them is doing ok, we’ll bring in a journeyman to smash their opportunity.
This guy knows his footy. Couldn't be more on the money.

Beau Henry was NYC player of the year. It happens. Not everyone can cut it at NRL.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
This guy knows his footy. Couldn't be more on the money.

Beau Henry was NYC player of the year. It happens. Not everyone can cut it at NRL.
Appreciate that champ. That’s what we need to keep up in here. Good footy talk and analysis. We follow a proud and fantastic club and we are all tired and frustrated. It’s been a long 10 years. We banded together to save our saints in 95 and we are here to stay. Let’s bring the fire back and fight the good fight and get things happening

Crush

Coach
I agree with above posts.
Zac is a footballer but he isn't a fullback. There is no brilliance in his game. He would be ranked in the bottom 3 fullbacks in the NRL if comparing with other teams.
But he isn't alone, our whole backline are weak.
Right now Zac gets a centre spot for me. Based on what Ive seen last few weeks, Williame and Lomax are our best centres for 2020.

blacksafake

First Grade
I agree with above posts.
Zac is a footballer but he isn't a fullback. There is no brilliance in his game. He would be ranked in the bottom 3 fullbacks in the NRL if comparing with other teams.
But he isn't alone, our whole backline are weak.
Right now Zac gets a centre spot for me. Based on what Ive seen last few weeks, Williame and Lomax are our best centres for 2020.
Bingo

What I find amusing is the speed in which forum members are dismissing Zac Lomax.

First near full game at fullback.

Of the 23 players who played for our club last night, how many made a meaningful impact?

Lets start in the backs shall we.

Hands up the forum members who think Aitken, Lafai, Norman played better than Lomax.

As for the forwards who played in the second half, who played better?

Last time I checked Rugby League is a team game.

Mitchell and Gagai are representative players, how did they fare under the high ball last night?

Yes, I am just as disappointed as the rest of us that we folded like a cheap suit in the second half.

Lomax is not the problem. I will venture to say he is part of the solution.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
What I find amusing is the speed in which forum members are dismissing Zac Lomax.

First near full game at fullback.

Of the 23 players who played for our club last night, how many made a meaningful impact?

Lets start in the backs shall we.

Hands up the forum members who think Aitken, Lafai, Norman played better than Lomax.

As for the forwards who played in the second half, who played better?

Last time I checked Rugby League is a team game.

Mitchell and Gagai are representative players, how did they fare under the high ball last night?

Yes, I am just as disappointed as the rest of us that we folded like a cheap suit in the second half.

Lomax is not the problem. I will venture to say he is part of the solution.

Lomax is part of the solution but not at fullback.