What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's Machiavellian moves

BLM01

First Grade
Selective choice words to show you in his corner Flanno.
We know already he was pig headed and would not change and these changes were forced on him. Swim with the sharks or sink anyway was his ultimatum
Of course he works bloody hard ...so he should for 500K a year.....does not mean he can coach
But you can have the job amongst this very passionate job as you say..if you wish

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Think you misunderstood him. Results wise Flanno is objectively better, as he even stated.

Morally it's much more of a grey area. Flanno is a convicted peptide cheat, who then broke conditions of his first ban by earning a second one.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone for preferring 10 more years of Mary than 1 year of Flanno. I'm on the fence personally, but I understand the sentiment.
The doomsayers don't want to admit it but the fact is Mary is not getting another extension he's just not. They just want to try to do the honourable thing and let him see out his contract. If it were 10 years of Mary yeah I would think twice but it won't be. In my opinion nothing short of a deep finals appearance this season would save Mary. If he misses the finals this season, he will be sacked immediately, and if he doesn't get a GF win in 20 or 21 there is no chance of an extension. I actually think even a GF win in his final year wouldn't save him. They would just be happy to send him off a winner and move on. Signing Flanno also ensure if we sack Mary we have a year of Dean Young and in that case id rather a P plater than an L plater, an L plater learning to drive from a disqualified driver mind you.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The doomsayers don't want to admit it but the fact is Mary is not getting another extension he's just not. They just want to try to do the honourable thing and let him see out his contract. If it were 10 years of Mary yeah I would think twice but it won't be. In my opinion nothing short of a deep finals appearance this season would save Mary. If he misses the finals this season, he will be sacked immediately, and if he doesn't get a GF win in 20 or 21 there is no chance of an extension. I actually think even a GF win in his final year wouldn't save him. They would just be happy to send him off a winner and move on. Signing Flanno also ensure if we sack Mary we have a year of Dean Young and in that case id rather a P plater than an L plater, an L plater learning to drive from a disqualified driver mind you.

The realists, however, know that McGregor should never been allowed to be in charge over such a prolonged period.

He never should’ve been appointed in the first place, and definitely should’ve been sacked by the end of 2016. Results don’t lie; under this clown Saints have not performed any better than seventh.

SEVENTH! And yet, he’s allowed to dish up the same dross every season.

There’s no ironclad guarantee Flanagan will stick around after this year either.

Bench
Flanno got caught up with that crap at the Sharks
McIdiot has slowly destroyed our club, he should be arrested and charged with being Felony stupid

possm

Coach
I'd say that maybe it will be Shepard as interim head coach. I'm sure Dean Youg's father is trying very hard to do a back room deal for Dean however, why would SGI hire Shepard if not to use him as interim head coach until Flanagan serves out his suspension.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The realists, however, know that McGregor should never been allowed to be in charge over such a prolonged period.

He never should’ve been appointed in the first place, and definitely should’ve been sacked by the end of 2016. Results don’t lie; under this clown Saints have not performed any better than seventh.

SEVENTH! And yet, he’s allowed to dish up the same dross every season.

There’s no ironclad guarantee Flanagan will stick around after this year either.
I’m a realist, that’s why I know the past can’t be changed. The main thing is Mary is without a doubt on his last legs or as a great man once said “our past is not our future”

BLM01

First Grade
James Graham captain coach?

Just kidding, but I agree we currently are rudderless with Mary in charge.

Hopefully the new assistants are given autonomy to select the team.

It is our only hope this season.
Not under my watch I have footprints in all areas of the building. But People keep telling me I’ve been walking around in dog poo

Think you misunderstood him. Results wise Flanno is objectively better, as he even stated.

Morally it's much more of a grey area. Flanno is a convicted peptide cheat, who then broke conditions of his first ban by earning a second one.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone for preferring 10 more years of Mary than 1 year of Flanno. I'm on the fence personally, but I understand the sentiment.

However, he wasn't convicted of anything, ASADA aren't the court or the cops. nor are WADA. nor are the ARLC.
he was banned by the league for his role in the supplement regime that may or may not have doped people.
ASADA had circumstantial proof based off witness testimony from their interviews.
unlike Essendon, where they had actual evidence, the sharks case was flimsy from the bat due to the clubs own slipshod practices. if the club had not done its own internal review on it, there would have been no proof of anything, ever.

so no one knows that for sure, because there were never any positive tests.
No convictions.
very circumstantial proof of anything.
they know "something" happened.
but no one, except Shane Flanagan, and Steven Dank, and Trent Elkin really know what really actually happened.

I think this is the way the club are going when they sack McGregor come round 10. Then push for Flanno’s appointment

he's banned for 2 years from top gig isn't he. but you will get him because he wiggles off the hook from all long term sanction.

proceed at your own risk.
good coach tho

Rodent

Bench
At this point in time I’d take Murray Farquhar over Mary.
I'd even take Tubbs Farquhar

hqdefault.jpg

NRL issues reminder that Shane Flanagan can't coach until 2022
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer
March 6, 2020 — 12.00am
Share on Whatsapp
  • Send via Email

Leave a comment

The NRL has shut down any thoughts of Shane Flanagan becoming a head coach before his two-year ban expires.

All off-season, this column has been told by St George Illawarra supporters, and even some people within the club, they expect Flanagan to be elevated from assistant coach to head coach should Paul McGregor get sacked.

6caaca9969943466222d4d975163cc51483909b2

Dragons assistant Shane Flanagan was deregistered in December 2018 for breaching the conditions of his previous year-long ban for his role in the Sharks’ supplement scandal.

Flanagan fuelled that belief when he told The Sydney Morning Herald in Mudgee last week that speculation about McGregor’s future is the “elephant in the room”.

It was an extraordinary comment from an assistant coach just a couple of months into his return to the game. Some considered it disrespectful to the coach, who is a good man under enormous pressure.

No, the elephant in the room at the Dragons is actually Flanagan.

A reminder for those who might’ve missed the 10,000-or-so stories about the matter …

The former Cronulla coach was deregistered in December 2018 for breaching the conditions of his previous year-long ban for his role in the Sharks’ supplement scandal, in which players were injected with banned substances.

RELATED ARTICLE

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK
AFL, NRL ramp up preparations for coronavirus threat
He was told not to make any contact with the club, or on behalf of the club, but did it anyway, such was his shortsighted belief that other people — and not him, as head coach — had failed his players as they were essentially treated like guinea pigs by controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank.

In December last year, the ARL Commission allowed him to take up an assistant coach’s role under McGregor following an off-season review at the Dragons by Phil Gould after they finished second last.

Almost immediately, frustrated Dragons supporters believed it would be a matter of time before Flanagan would take over if McGregor was sacked.

0f89f6e6f97e16ea0ea83f06149629eeb8105237

Todd Greenberg will not have the final say on Shane Flanagan's future.CREDIT:AAP

There’s a growing belief that all Flanagan has to do is bide his time, say the right things to head office, say the right things to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, and he’ll be cleared to take up a head coach's role wherever one pops up.

Not so fast, says head office.

Any decision on Flanagan's future would come from the ARL Commission — not Greenberg. Regardless, the NRL says there has been “no softening” of the ban and made it clear Flanagan can’t even apply for a reduction within the next two seasons.

We were then directed to Greenberg’s remarks when Flanagan was allowed to join the Dragons.

“This is not a set and forget approach,” Greenberg said at the time. “Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the integrity unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons.”

McGregor has two seasons to run on his deal, but if he’s sacked early it would likely lead to the elevation of Dean Young as head coach.

Given the size of the payout, a horror run already with injuries, and another year without Jack de Belin - after his trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman was put back until later in the year, McGregor might be cut some slack.

Those within the Dragons report his working relationship with Flanagan has been beneficial; just having an experienced football brain as a sounding board has helped McGregor.

Flanagan’s “elephant in the room” comment stunned some — but not McGregor, who has been dealing with speculation about his future for a long time.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
NRL issues reminder that Shane Flanagan can't coach until 2022
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer
March 6, 2020 — 12.00am
Share on Whatsapp
  • Send via Email

Leave a comment

The NRL has shut down any thoughts of Shane Flanagan becoming a head coach before his two-year ban expires.

All off-season, this column has been told by St George Illawarra supporters, and even some people within the club, they expect Flanagan to be elevated from assistant coach to head coach should Paul McGregor get sacked.

6caaca9969943466222d4d975163cc51483909b2

Dragons assistant Shane Flanagan was deregistered in December 2018 for breaching the conditions of his previous year-long ban for his role in the Sharks’ supplement scandal.

Flanagan fuelled that belief when he told The Sydney Morning Herald in Mudgee last week that speculation about McGregor’s future is the “elephant in the room”.

It was an extraordinary comment from an assistant coach just a couple of months into his return to the game. Some considered it disrespectful to the coach, who is a good man under enormous pressure.

No, the elephant in the room at the Dragons is actually Flanagan.

A reminder for those who might’ve missed the 10,000-or-so stories about the matter …

The former Cronulla coach was deregistered in December 2018 for breaching the conditions of his previous year-long ban for his role in the Sharks’ supplement scandal, in which players were injected with banned substances.

RELATED ARTICLE

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK
AFL, NRL ramp up preparations for coronavirus threat
He was told not to make any contact with the club, or on behalf of the club, but did it anyway, such was his shortsighted belief that other people — and not him, as head coach — had failed his players as they were essentially treated like guinea pigs by controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank.

In December last year, the ARL Commission allowed him to take up an assistant coach’s role under McGregor following an off-season review at the Dragons by Phil Gould after they finished second last.

Almost immediately, frustrated Dragons supporters believed it would be a matter of time before Flanagan would take over if McGregor was sacked.

0f89f6e6f97e16ea0ea83f06149629eeb8105237

Todd Greenberg will not have the final say on Shane Flanagan's future.CREDIT:AAP

There’s a growing belief that all Flanagan has to do is bide his time, say the right things to head office, say the right things to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, and he’ll be cleared to take up a head coach's role wherever one pops up.

Not so fast, says head office.

Any decision on Flanagan's future would come from the ARL Commission — not Greenberg. Regardless, the NRL says there has been “no softening” of the ban and made it clear Flanagan can’t even apply for a reduction within the next two seasons.

We were then directed to Greenberg’s remarks when Flanagan was allowed to join the Dragons.

“This is not a set and forget approach,” Greenberg said at the time. “Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the integrity unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons.”

McGregor has two seasons to run on his deal, but if he’s sacked early it would likely lead to the elevation of Dean Young as head coach.

Given the size of the payout, a horror run already with injuries, and another year without Jack de Belin - after his trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman was put back until later in the year, McGregor might be cut some slack.

Those within the Dragons report his working relationship with Flanagan has been beneficial; just having an experienced football brain as a sounding board has helped McGregor.

Flanagan’s “elephant in the room” comment stunned some — but not McGregor, who has been dealing with speculation about his future for a long time.

________________________________________________________________________________

"McGregor has two seasons to run on his deal, but if he’s sacked early it would likely lead to the elevation of Dean Young as head coach.

Given the size of the payout, a horror run already with injuries, and another year without Jack de Belin - after his trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman was put back until later in the year, McGregor might be cut some slack."

Don't cut him more slack, cut him loose!