What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

NRL should be bendin over with a blank cheque

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can understand your reservations but the best thing about toronto is these are all new fans and they’ve been brought in before the Toronto got into the top league. Hopefully the money can stay but I’m hopeful it will have the affect of getting other bids in.

the exciting thing for RL is if he can make it work it might finally be the breakthrough the game needs to bring in serious investors and we could literally see top tier clubs started up anywhere.

interestingly Argyle is a west aussie who made his money in mining.

kdalymc

Bench
If the commercials in Canada still call it "rugby" there is no point...

I talked to the locals, there is only 1 rugby, and it ain't ours...

avocado

Juniors
I’ve watched rugby league for 50 years. Best forward I ever saw was Beetson. Sonny Bill is a close second.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Are we talking the Sonny who has only ever been a sort of bench All Black?

The bloke who in League is a devastating edge backrower?

Not much of a kicker, kickby scrum, lineouts.

Plays League where you run, is awesome, one the best you will ever see.

But follows the dollars to Kickby, the once proud amatuers, stock of rich, then goes to Boxing and his biggest pay day of Gallen..

Think that is him.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I’ve watched rugby league for 50 years. Best forward I ever saw was Beetson. Sonny Bill is a close second.
No contest.

Like with his All Blacks, needs Beetson to do the hard yards first and get then the pretty boys to run into space.

taste2taste

Juniors
Yet if they spent AU$2.5 million each on advertising in Canada, UK, NZ & Australia they probably still wouldn't have got as much publicity and recognition as this signing has gotten them.
Exactly right. As the Toronto star called him " a man economic stimulus package"
News that SBW might sign with the Wolfpack got a full page article in Toronto's highest circulating newspaper The Star, front page in NZ and in the Uk and that was before he had signed.

How much would an advertising campaign cost in all those papers .... probably about 10mil :D

A large part of SBW pay will come out of the Wolfpacks advertising budget. If you think about it that way 10mil is a bargain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-hes-a-one-man-economic-stimulus-package.html

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
They would have had plenty left over in dave taylors grocery budget after letting him go early

flamin

Juniors
If the commercials in Canada still call it "rugby" there is no point...

Disagree. Argyle is intentionally marketing the Wolfpack as a “rugby” club because of the what North Americans think of when they hear the word “rugby”.

Rugby union has a niche in playing numbers in North America but there aren’t any full-time pro rugby clubs like the Wolfpack. There’s Major League Rugby (union) but they play a shorter season in smaller venues (2-4K).

If (it’s a big if) the Wolfpack and other hypothetical NA clubs break through the mainstream, rugby league will be the “rugby” of NA, like it is in northern England.

kdalymc

Bench
Disagree. Argyle is intentionally marketing the Wolfpack as a “rugby” club because of the what North Americans think of when they hear the word “rugby”.

Rugby union has a niche in playing numbers in North America but there aren’t any full-time pro rugby clubs like the Wolfpack. There’s Major League Rugby (union) but they play a shorter season in smaller venues (2-4K).

If (it’s a big if) the Wolfpack and other hypothetical NA clubs break through the mainstream, rugby league will be the “rugby” of NA, like it is in northern England.
Nah

TheFrog

Coach
If the Wolfpack cannot win enough games to get off the bottom and are back in the Championship next year, as seems increasingly likely, the wisdom or lack of it of signing SBW for the price of half an NRL team might be called into question.

blue bags

First Grade
If the Wolfpack cannot win enough games to get off the bottom and are back in the Championship next year, as seems increasingly likely, the wisdom or lack of it of signing SBW for the price of half an NRL team might be called into question.
for sure frog , just as sure as Kermit the frog , there might be a get out clause, but who knows froggy

Perth Red

Post Whore
Publicity will be worth nothing if they get relegated. Imo they could have spent the money better and been much more likely to have avoided a relegation battle. At the moment SBW just wants to offload every play and it’s not helping them.

Latest posts