What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

AJB1102

First Grade
Who cares, you'll see it half a dozen times and probably never in its entirety. The ad last year with Tedesco getting an Uber to a game and the shit about minutes in a game and a week - how many times ya seen that without looking for it?

Fox and CH9 have their own promos, those are the ones you'll have to put up with.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well in my case. I have kids who don’t watch or attend the game. Plenty in that ad leads to more questions when it should lead to them wanting to pick up a footy or similar

If they don't watch even though its on when dad is watching the footy, maybe they'll watch now cos they'll see something interesting or something that resonates with them.

I like the idea of the ad, I think they could have done it better.

franklin2323

Immortal
If they don't watch even though its on when dad is watching the footy, maybe they'll watch now cos they'll see something interesting or something that resonates with them.

I like the idea of the ad, I think they could have done it better.

I would love my 9 year old to watch female sport and be in awe that are on TV or something to get her interested

Xcalibre

Juniors
Nobody uses “Woke” anymore. Well except an over inflated fat fart in the Whitehouse. He too is behind the times

Oh really? I’ve seen it online at least 50 times just about this topic.

I’m not a fan of all the neologisms though. Woke, virtual-signaling, sjw et al. It’s all bs if you ask me, but it does serve a purpose I suppose.

The problem I have with the ad is they’re trying to fit in all the minorities and progressive causes at the expense of an ad that should excite people about the game.

The fact people dislike the ad, DOESN’T mean they are intolerant to those minorities featured. When did belief systems become so black and white?

I’m sure plenty of contrarians are intolerant, but not all.

Anyway, I watched the original ad earlier and it embodies that excitement of seeing “gladiators “ go at it.

Finally, Macklemore’s inclusion. I mean wtf? I’m guessing he’s gay? Can’t think of another reason he’d be included as the only grand final performer. And therein lies the problem. If it was only an iconic gf performance (or lack of) then it’s Billy Idol bar none.

At the end of the day I couldn’t really care less about the ad, as the on field product is most important, but this is my view on it purely as an advertisement. Frankly, it’s embarrassing.

AJB1102

First Grade
to Quote my 9 year old ‘What does girls kissing have to do with football’

Well did you explain the context around that moment? The fact your daughter picked that 1 second still out of a 2 minute commercial .. well it got the attention of a young female and got a discussion happening. By the sounds of it your kid had no previous interest in NRL or NRLW. That 1 second piqued her interest more than any previous "big hits and tries" commercials it seems.

franklin2323

Immortal

I’m not a fan of all the neologisms though. Woke, virtual-signaling, sjw et al. It’s all bs if you ask me, but it does serve a purpose I suppose.

The problem I have with the ad is they’re trying to fit in all the minorities and progressive causes at the expense of an ad that should excite people about the game.

The fact people dislike the ad, DOESN’T mean they are intolerant to those minorities featured. When did belief systems become so black and white?

Anyway, I watched the original ad earlier and it embodies that excitement of seeing “gladiators “ go at it.

Finally, Macklemore’s inclusion. I mean wtf? I’m guessing he’s gay? Can’t think of another reason he’d be included as the only grand final performer. And therein lies the problem. If it was only an iconic gf performance (or lack of) then it’s Billy Idol bar none.

At the end of the day I couldn’t really care less about the ad, as the on field product is most important, but this is my view on it purely as an advertisement. Frankly, it’s embarrassing.

Great post summed it up well

Xcalibre

Juniors
Also, the NRL are very inclusive....

....unless you preach the gospel of your chosen God. A tad hypocritical don’t ya think?

Xcalibre

Juniors
Well did you explain the context around that moment? The fact your daughter picked that 1 second still out of a 2 minute commercial .. well it got the attention of a young female and got a discussion happening. By the sounds of it your kid had no previous interest in NRL or NRLW. That 1 second piqued her interest more than any previous "big hits and tries" commercials it seems.

Should parents be explaining homosexuality to a 9 year old? If not, should an ad or any tv show on during prime time be accepted, that provokes them inquiring?

I’d say no. It’s not the appropriate place for it. Hence it shouldn’t be in the ad. You can welcome lesbians without showing them making out on your ad.

It is a good question. I mean when it comes to big stars performing at the Grand Final I would have thought Ricky Martin was a bigger star than Mackelmore.

Also if you need the "GF Halftime entertainment" angle as part of how to draw new fans in, then it comes across to me as being an admission that your main product (in this case the game of rugby league) ia not strong enough in the first place to attract them. As such it is self defeating.

AJB1102

First Grade
Should parents be explaining homosexuality to a 9 year old? If not, should an ad or any tv show on during prime time be accepted, that provokes them inquiring?

I’d say no. It’s not the appropriate place for it. Hence it shouldn’t be in the ad. You can welcome lesbians without showing them making out on your ad.

You don't have to go into the .. umm, birds & birds/bees & bees(?) of same-sex partnerships. f**ked if I know, not my kid. Work it out, kids ask plenty curly questions trying to make sense of the world around them. Like it or not the world has same-sex couples. It was 2 people who love each other despite trying to flog each other in an SOO match. No need to drill down into the homosexuality aspect.

Where is the appropriate place? Were you planning on randomly addressing same-sex partnerships over a happy meal on Saturday? Its only awkward to you, your 9 year old probably knows more lesbians than you do.

Remember the question wasn't "why are 2 girls kissing" it was what it had to do with footy. So the girls kissing wasn't the issue, just its relevance to footy.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Cause we are trying to get people to take time out of a busy schedule and watch the game... Yet show off field stuff instead of what makes you tune in Every Weekend for 30 odd weeks
*what makes YOU tune in every weekend. You don't have licence to assume everyone's the same. And as @Frailty has pointed out, if the ads showing big hits and great tries were such a hit why haven't attendances etc increased?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

"I couldn't care less about the ad" he says, at the end of a 200-odd diatribe about said ad. :rolling_eyes:

AJB1102

First Grade
It is a good question. I mean when it comes to big stars performing at the Grand Final I would have thought Ricky Martin was a bigger star than Mackelmore.

Also if you need the "GF Halftime entertainment" angle as part of how to draw new fans in, then it comes across to me as being an admission that your main product (in this case the game of rugby league) ia not strong enough in the first place to attract them. As such it is self defeating.

Really? Australia was going through the same-sex marriage vote bullshit and the NRL got behind the 'yes' vote by, among other things, headlining their GF with a guy whose song was a bit of an anthem for equality. To you and I the legalisation of same-sex marriage didn't make a lick of difference to our lives but I'll guarantee it will be remembered as a very significant moment for a lot of Australians, straight gay or whatever. When the 20th anniversary of the legalisation of SSM rolls around I think support like that from the game will be noted.