What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin Sims 2020

draco

Juniors
In latest news:

* The injury curse continues at the Dragons with hard-running forward Korbin Sims ruled out for the next six weeks following surgery for a broken arm.

In a major blow for both the 28-year-old and St George-Illawarra fans, Sims underwent surgery on Wednesday after originally injuring his arm at the Perth Nines last month.

Initial scans taken a fortnight ago came back positive for Sims.

However, persistent pain led to follow-up scans last week which, much to his disappointment, revealed a small fracture.

It’s also the second time he has broken his arm, having suffered a similar injury in April last year.

The loss of Sims is a cruel blow for head coach Paul McGregor only 10-days out from the club’s first-round clash with the Wests Tigers in Wollongong.

Sims’ injury frustration is compounded by the fact that McGregor is already dealing with serious upheaval to his round one line-up which includes the unavailability of captain Cameron McInnes (knee), fullback Matt Dufty (cheekbone) and prop-forward Josh Kerr (knee).

Lock Jack de Belin— part of the club’s 30-man roster — remains stood down by the NRL while veteran forward James Graham’s pre-season preparation has been limited after he was rested from each of the club’s pre-season trial matches.

The loss of Sims for at least the first first month of the season will force McGregor to rely onTyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan and Graham to lead a Dragons pack whose depth, as result of injuries, is under significant strain before a ball has even been kicked.

— David Riccio

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/81781cf1c63bea211535e3d30f59f2c4

SnowDragon

Juniors
Damm shame that!

Graham, Vaughan, Lawrie, and an injured Kerr... we seem short a prop

not sure Blacker is ready, but time to find out. Throw him in the deep end, and if he struggles or sinks then he is back to CC to learn his trade, either way he gains experience.

Merrin seems more a 13 now, but may be forced to prop?

Maybe Jacob Host can do prop rotation?

any other ideas?

Gareth67

First Grade
Really feel for the bloke , this is the type of injury that will cruel his career , the 2 nd occasion now for the big bloke and it will only be natural for him to favor the arm in future.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Really feel for the bloke , this is the type of injury that will cruel his career , the 2 nd occasion now for the big bloke and it will be only natural for him to favor the arm in future.

Hopefully he can make it back and be fresh for the tail end when we traditionally full in a heap. I wonder if the rules restrict wearing some sort of hard arm guard that has thick outer layer of foam so he opposing defenders aren’t at risk of injury. I have distinct visions of Meninga wearing a really thick arm guard after breaking his arm. I think it was give Simms a lot of confidence if he could wear something similar.

redVinme

Bench
Hopefully he can make it back and be fresh for the tail end when we traditionally full in a heap. I wonder if the rules restrict wearing some sort of hard arm guard that has thick outer layer of foam so he opposing defenders aren’t at risk of injury. I have distinct visions of Meninga wearing a really thick arm guard after breaking his arm. I think it was give Simms a lot of confidence if he could wear something similar.

You can I have seen a heap of players do it. Usually just bandages with a foam pad underneath.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes Belta it seems as if that is exactly what the man shall require when he finally returns to the game . As far as big Mal guard goes it was a bit of an eyesore , as you said thick - as a T-Bone steak and he used it to its best advantage.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes Belta it seems as if that is exactly what the man shall require when he finally returns to the game . As far as big Mal guard goes it was a bit of an eyesore , as you said thick - as a T-Bone steak and he used it to its best advantage.
Poor Korbin. Is he going to be injury prone? Will he go into tackles tentatively with that arm? We'll see I guess when he is able to get onto the paddock one day.

Belta

Juniors
Poor Korbin. Is he going to be injury prone? Will he go into tackles tentatively with that arm? We'll see I guess when he is able to get onto the paddock one day.

Yeah you gotta feel for players at times, when their having a bad run. Not only do they go through the pain and discomfort of surgery, lose muscle by not being able to do weights, be down on match fitness and have the expectation that they need to deliver for the club whose invested in them. To compete and regain form after a series of broken/fractured bones. To come back and be putting the body on the line with no thought of self preservation. I guess I’m more sympathetic as I recently had surgery and even being well on the road to recovery I am stressing about when I’m gunna be right to do a few physical things and get annoyed at having sleepless nights, can’t imagine how these guys have major surgery, recover and go at it again. They have my respect.

SBD82

Coach
Yeah you gotta feel for players at times, when their having a bad run. Not only do they go through the pain and discomfort of surgery, lose muscle by not being able to do weights, be down on match fitness and have the expectation that they need to deliver for the club whose invested in them. To compete and regain form after a series of broken/fractured bones. To come back and be putting the body on the line with no thought of self preservation. I guess I’m more sympathetic as I recently had surgery and even being well on the road to recovery I am stressing about when I’m gunna be right to do a few physical things and get annoyed at having sleepless nights, can’t imagine how these guys have major surgery, recover and go at it again. They have my respect.
Very good point.

I’m 12 months into recovery from serious surgery on a joint. Still tentative with any sort of contact. Very protective of the injury.

Takes a special mindset to play on through injury. Especially so fast.

Old Timer

Coach
Billy Smith & Ian Walsh both suffered multiple fractures to an arm which required metal plates and bolts to be inserted.
Lot of conjecture as to whether they should have been made to wear padding over them as the swinging arm was well and truly in vogue back then.
No doubt the surgery and rehab was nothing like today but those boys would do anything just to get back on the paddock.
Certainly were tough customers with passion for the jumper rather than putting quids in the bank.
So sad what the game has become.

Gareth67

First Grade

Unfortunately it is the 2 nd occasion that he has suffered a break in a 12 month period (?)
The most concerning aspect of the injury ( other than what Belta himself has recently gone through ) is whether or not he will ever play for the Dragons again ?

But as you have said - we’ll see I guess when he is able to get onto the paddock - the chances of that are slim , imho .

possm

Coach
In my opinion Korbin will move on at the end of this season or maybe even retire on medical grounds.

Latest posts