What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

BadnMean

Juniors
Josh Papalii - From 40 minutes of rocks and diamonds to 70 minutes of world class consistency.
Jack Wighton - CC medal winning, rep regular.
CKN - Could not make the Warriors
All the young blokes he has bought through.
The Poms...
Sezer just played a GF.

Which player was not playing to his potential?

Can't coach......pffft

Brought Cotric through from an 18 year old into a Kangaroo jersey...
Got more out of Joey Leilua & Jordan Rapana than any other coach ever managed or thought possible.
Simonsen from Rugby 7s player to FG winger/FB standard.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well these threads start as people say only won cause he was at the Roosters.

Like people now, Trent cannot coach, gifted, salaries blah, blah. Anyone could coach the Roosters.

I guess that is what makes it fun, so many clueless peeps.

nick87

Coach
He’s just a different coach to the one he was years ago
And I really think his reaction to the controversy is a big part of it... I don’t know if it’s been a purposeful thing or just maturity but he’s been the same all year long

there isn’t anymore big blow ups or finger pointing at officials or whatever
All year long he’s been about controlling what we can control, accountability and building resilience
And the squad has followed that lead big time
And it’s lead to a total culture change for the club

we’ll see if that’s a one year deal and if he goes back to who he was next year but if this is who he is now, this club is going to be in very good hands

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I don’t know if it’s been a purposeful thing or just maturity but he’s been the same all year long
A bit of both I think. I've tried to not to make a big deal of it because I don't want to take away from what a great game it was and how proud I am of the boys for the effort they put in. I think this might be along the line of what Stuart thinks but he's probably also aware of how much blow up there already was about it so didn't feel the need to come off as a sore loser.

BadnMean

Juniors
He actually finally got a sports psych in to work with the team after last years review.

It’s clear since then Rick has totally changed his language and reaction to referee errors and the team is much more resilient.

Only took the stubborn bastard 2 years and a dozen losses by 6 points or less.

bileduct

Coach
He’s just a different coach to the one he was years ago
And I really think his reaction to the controversy is a big part of it... I don’t know if it’s been a purposeful thing or just maturity but he’s been the same all year long
I think he's just finally figured out that there's no point in complaining about shit in press conferences when there are plenty of media people that will do that anyway.

They egg him on in press conferences and by turning the question back at them what needs to be said ends up getting said by someone else.

King hit

Coach
Big challenge next year will be if he can back it up, remember 2016 where Canberra made the preliminary final.

I hope he can I've always liked Stuart

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I've actually got confidence that next year will be another good year for us. This is the first season since probably 1995 that we've been at the Top of the ladder the whole year. There was 2003 I guess but I think we looked pretty shaky in the back end of that season and our finals performances were pretty bad.
If we can sort out our attack inside the op 20 then I think we'll give it another good shake. Hopefully George Williams can help with that.

bileduct

Coach
I've actually got confidence that next year will be another good year for us. This is the first season since probably 1995 that we've been at the Top of the ladder the whole year. There was 2003 I guess but I think we looked pretty shaky in the back end of that season and our finals performances were pretty bad.
If we can sort out our attack inside the op 20 then I think we'll give it another good shake. Hopefully George Williams can help with that.
Hopefully all of the pommies will get through the international season ok.

nick87

Coach
I think he's just finally figured out that there's no point in complaining about shit in press conferences when there are plenty of media people that will do that anyway.

They egg him on in press conferences and by turning the question back at them what needs to be said ends up getting said by someone else.

Yeah i think that's right. I supposed i'd be really curious to know if this was some epiphany that he woke up one morning and realised, or if it was to do with some shit hot sports coach who came in and gave him a new perspective or if it's just maturity and knowing he's at the place he feels he belongs with a squad he felt really good about.

However which way it came about, it's been a really good change for him as a coach, and for our club and it's culture. Hopefully the fans can get on board with it too

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Despite the Raiders being known as an unpredictable attacking team, which was no different to the past few years, their success this year was built on defence. Defence is built on attitude, first and foremost and this comes from the coach and coaching staff.

It is very much like how the Roosters success in the early 2000's with Sticky at the helm was built. This is why I think the Raiders can sustain their success, injuries permitting. Off the Stuart topic, I was watching one of the Fox League programs during the finals and they had Laurie Daley on and they were comparing the way Jack Wighton to Laurie Daley and the similarities etc.

Actually I thought it was pretty lazy in the approach, though both great ball runners etc.. IMO Wighton reminds me much more of Brad Fittler, the way he runs the ball and holds the ball out in front of him with both hands. He is the closest thing I have seen to Fittler, albeit probably not at the same level, however I reckon when he takes on the line, he puts a similar fear in defences minds that Fittler did. Amazing how well he has come on in the past 12 months but again I think it is part being in the right position on the field and a change in attitude which again comes back to the coach and player in equal proportions.

BadnMean

Juniors
Really. I don't think the Daley-Wighton comparisons are lazy at all.

First thing I thought of him once I saw him in centres & early days at FB, even his first 5/8 run. The raw athleticism is pure Daley. The massive shots in defence- more Daley than Fittler. The massive boot, slightly manic tendency- pure Daley. Freddie always struck me as a slightly more subtle footballer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Great stuff by supercoach.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/d35c8694436fbda3c483f15b7353e9dc

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart believes the Raiders are still treated like the “poor cousins” of the NRL and says the club deserves more respect from the governing bodies.
Stuart sat down with new Australian Rugby League Commission boss Peter V’landys for the first time on Friday where the pair spoke for about half an hour.

The Raiders coach later told the Sydney Morning Herald he used the sit-down to express concerns over how the capital club is perceived inside NRL headquarters.

He thinks Canberra doesn’t get treated equally with powerhouse clubs like the Roosters and Storm.

There’s a huge perception that we are basically the poor cousins and we don’t feel that we get the opportunities that the other clubs do in a number of areas of the game,” Stuart said.

“This is something that’s been a perception there for a long, long time, and I think it’s very unfair.

“We often feel like out of mind, out of sight.

“We are such a big part of the game in terms of the footprint that we have put in the game in such a short time ... I believe we need respect.”

The controversial six-again call which dominated last year’s grand final wash-up was mentioned during the meeting, but Stuart says the club is leaving that behind them and trying to move on.

V’landys was impressed with Stuart and says the meeting was constructive.

“He wants to make sure that Canberra is recognised for its contribution to rugby league,” V’landys told the Herald.

“I was really appreciative of the meeting. He’s very inspiring, I love his passion.”