What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Dragons @ WIN Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Dragons v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrotherJim05

Bench
Saw a rumour that Doueihis gunna be center and this is the line up:

1. Thompson
2. Jennings
3. Doueihi
4. Leilua
5. Nofoaluma
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Mikaele
9. Walters
10. Twal
11. Garner (in some doubt)
12. Leilua
13. Aloiai
14. Reynolds
15. Musgrove
16. MCK
17. Eisenhuth/Taylor
18. Lawrence (on standby for Garner)

Idk about that lineup, a number of issues for me:
Thompson at fullback - he tries his guts out and backs up when you need him but I don't think I've ever seen him chime into the backline for a Try Assist
AD at centre - has he even been training at centre? I think its going to take a bit for him to click there
Jennings - errghhh here we go
One Prop on the bench....

Hope I'm wrong

super_coach

First Grade
Saw a rumour that Doueihis gunna be center and this is the line up:

1. Thompson
2. Jennings
3. Doueihi
4. Leilua
5. Nofoaluma
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Mikaele
9. Walters
10. Twal
11. Garner (in some doubt)
12. Leilua
13. Aloiai
14. Reynolds
15. Musgrove
16. MCK
17. Eisenhuth/Taylor
18. Lawrence (on standby for Garner)

Not a top four team, but a team that might surprise although probably one top class forward, a no9 and a speedster in the backs short of a quality side. Personally I would like AD at no1, the more games he gets under his belt in the spine the better he will be. Anyway we should be competing against most teams

The dragons are hurting badly with substantial off season injuries. They are a bit makeshift like us at the moment.

But I think they are a

A lot will depend on whether or not their big name players can lift. We will see glimpses of it, but it’s whether or not they can sustain it.
Not a top four team, but a team that might surprise although probably one top class forward, a no9 and a speedster in the backs short of a quality side. Personally I would like AD at no1, the more games he gets under his belt in the spine the better he will be. Anyway we should be competing against most teams

Ad should switch maybe centre first half and then to fb second half.

The forwards will grind away to sap energy leaving more attacking options at the end of the game.

And Corey is not a strike player at the back although he’s safe.

I suppose we need to read the game and make decisions then and there.

gordsy

Juniors
[QUOTE Corey Thompson 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Joseph Leilua 4. Adam Doueihi 5. Robert Jennings 6. Benji Marshall 7. Luke Brooks 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Billy Walters 10. Alex Twal 11. Luke Garner 12. Luciano Leilua 13. Elijah Taylor 14. Thomas Mikaele 15. Josh Reynolds 16. Zane Musgrove 17. Chris Lawrence 18. Michael Chee-Kam 19. Oliver Clark 20. Matt Eisenhuth 21. Paul Momirovski 21-man squad • Corey Thompson is fullback and Adam Doueihi centre, while Billy Walters is starting hooker on rotation with Josh Reynolds (interchange). Paul Momirovski is in the extended reserves list. No Mbye (knee) or Packer (foot).)[/QUOTE]

I'd rather see Clark for Taylor, Momo at centre and A.D at fullback but that's a pretty decent team.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Some interesting decisions.

Is Momo still injured and named in case he is cleared or down the pecking order?

I'm not a fan of Taylor but in fairness he has earned his spot in the preseason and the pack looks a lot more balanced with him at lock rather than Aloiai which would leave us with a small bench.

Lawrence beating out Chee Kam is another close one but I am glad it is one or the other and not putting them both on the bench.

Be interesting to see how long Thompson keeps the fullback spot and what happens when Mbye is fit.

Good to be talking footy again!

The unknown

Juniors
If we aren’t careful the dragons starting pack could roll our young pack from the get go.

An entire pre season of criticism, pent up rage from a poor 2019 smells danger to me. Not to mention their entire forward pack is basically rep standard

However under madges coaching methods pretty confident we can overcome the hurdles much like we did for the majority of last year, and atleast this time around we have a classy(ish) backline to finish off

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
A few surprises in there

Thought ET may jag a bench spot but starting is a surprise. He was great in both trials though so good to see Madge is showing pre season will be rewarded. Similar to last year Madge obvioulsy wants the two big bodies on the bench, expect Musgrove and Mikaele to cause plenty of havoc

No MCK is a shock however I mentioned a couple of weeks back I expected Lawrence to somehow make the side

When you consider we are missing Liddle, Packer, Mbye and Momirovski from our strongest side its looking pretty good!

Tiger05

First Grade
It's going to be an interesting season. The big questions to me are:-

1. Where will Doueihi end up playing and how does that impact the team ?
2. What happens to the hooker position and do we always run with a hooker/utility off the bench ?

We look to have a lot more depth.

If we aren’t careful the dragons starting pack could roll our young pack from the get go.

An entire pre season of criticism, pent up rage from a poor 2019 smells danger to me. Not to mention their entire forward pack is basically rep standard

However under madges coaching methods pretty confident we can overcome the hurdles much like we did for the majority of last year, and atleast this time around we have a classy(ish) backline to finish off

They are at their most dangerous at the start of the season and relatively fresh.

We will grind away and try for mistake free footy for the first half. Handling and ball control will be the issue here.

The unknown

Juniors
It's going to be an interesting season. The big questions to me are:-

1. Where will Doueihi end up playing and how does that impact the team ?
2. What happens to the hooker position and do we always run with a hooker/utility off the bench ?

We look to have a lot more depth.

Still confident AD will be groomed into the fullback role, he’s just covering for Mdud atm

Still confident AD will be groomed into the fullback role, he’s just covering for Mdud atm

I imagine this is the case. I wouldn't be shocked to see AD line up at fullback, Thompson on the wing and Jennings in the centres. I like Thompson but he will never be a top quality fullback, I'm just worried that not being allowed to tackle attacking players in the air may kill off any chance he has at nailing down a wing spot.

Fordy20

Juniors
I imagine this is the case. I wouldn't be shocked to see AD line up at fullback, Thompson on the wing and Jennings in the centres. I like Thompson but he will never be a top quality fullback, I'm just worried that not being allowed to tackle attacking players in the air may kill off any chance he has at nailing down a wing spot.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jennings played centre, but I would be disgusted if he did. We have Momo and Talau as options for centre and given the new rules our wingers need some height. Having Thompson on the wing and Jennings in the centres wouldn't make any sense.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jennings played centre, but I would be disgusted if he did. We have Momo and Talau as options for centre and given the new rules our wingers need some height. Having Thompson on the wing and Jennings in the centres wouldn't make any sense.

That's true although they can always switch in defence. I feel the rule change will possible be the death knoll on players like Thompson.

Should be a very spirited match in many ways.

I prefer our backline, I prefer their halves, they have a much more accomplished pack.

They will really struggle without their captain, he’s the best defender in the game and his attitude is breathtaking. The example he set for forwards who looked lost and tired last year was terrific. I’d say he adds another half-player to their side. Not available.

Frizelle speaks for himself. He’s extremely talented in so many facets, I love his game and his physicality, so we need to be all over him early. He gets a sniff of blood and he can dominate. He is a game changer.

Graham has been a bit of a special project in the off season. He had a very bad time last year and they need him firing. I am not sure he has too much left in tank. But he arrives fresh and ready in round one. This is as good as he is ever going to get. I will watch his game with interest.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Anyone in that Dragons starting pack would walk into our side and probably get a co-captaincy. On paper their pack is definitely top 4.

I actually like ET at lock. Twal and ET will get through the dirty work trying to stop whatever onslaught they throw at us, while Musgrove, Mikale and Aloai will just try and punch their way up the middle. If we can get into a tug of war with them I've got my money on BJ cracking them open in the 2nd half and getting them on the back foot. Once this happens they will lose confidence very quickly.

Shredder

Juniors
Looking very forward to the first game after a (late) off season of promise.

I think our team will be a fair bit different to the one named. Just a hunch.

One thing in our favor, Mary cant coach.

Anyone in that Dragons starting pack would walk into our side and probably get a co-captaincy. On paper their pack is definitely top 4.

I actually like ET at lock. Twal and ET will get through the dirty work trying to stop whatever onslaught they throw at us, while Musgrove, Mikale and Aloai will just try and punch their way up the middle. If we can get into a tug of war with them I've got my money on BJ cracking them open in the 2nd half and getting them on the back foot. Once this happens they will lose confidence very quickly.

Bj has always had good game awareness, not just strength and agility. I like that about his game. He’s alway looking for the edge!

They will partly design their game to contain him. He’s not making up the numbers!

Looking very forward to the first game after a (late) off season of promise.

I think our team will be a fair bit different to the one named. Just a hunch.

One thing in our favor, Mary cant coach.

I have that suspicion. Madge screws up, maybe cost us a finals appearance last year, with Esan..but Mary is like the drunken neighbour eying up the wife raking the garden.

The unknown

Juniors
Mary is a very very average coach if he can’t get that team firing. Swap coaches and Saints are top 6 certainties, maybe top 4. Their backs are kinda meh but that forward pack is one of the best in the biz