What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

The Great Dane

First Grade
The questions about relocation is interesting. Didn't Greenberg say relocation was on the table early last year?

I still think a relocation to Perth/Adelaide/NZ should be considered. I don't think Brisbane would accept a relocated Sydney club - too much familiar history.

It's always been the case that when asked most of the CEOs and administrators of the clubs have agreed that there're too many clubs in Sydney, but there's always an attitude amongst them that it's somebody else that will get the axe.

Relocations would almost certainly be a mistake though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's always been the case that when asked most of the CEOs and administrators of the clubs have agreed that there're too many clubs in Sydney, but there's always an attitude amongst them that it's somebody else that will get the axe.

Relocations would almost certainly be a mistake though.

NRL has been pretty consistent (V'landys apart but he clearly has a power play agenda underway) that relocation is an option IF a club goes broke. They arent proactively seeking one but if someone went bust then they would look to move the license (if that means the brand is unclear).

flippikat

Bench

Exactly. Norths had a lot of guts to break ranks and voluntarily try moving to Gosford. It's a shame they paid the ultimate price for that.

Even if there WAS another Sydney club thinking about relocation, seeing what happened to Norths would have put the chills up any CEO.

The NRL needs to say without reservation that any Sydney club that offers to relocate will get decent NRL support over the transition.

jim_57

Staff member
Exactly. Norths had a lot of guts to break ranks and voluntarily try moving to Gosford. It's a shame they paid the ultimate price for that.

Even if there WAS another Sydney club thinking about relocation, seeing what happened to Norths would have put the chills up any CEO.

The NRL needs to say without reservation that any Sydney club that offers to relocate will get decent NRL support over the transition.

Financial packages are the way to go in my opinion. Probably still unlikely the offer to fully relocate will be taken unless a club is on death's door.

$X Million for a full relocation + an increased annual grant for the first 5 years. Accepted locations only.

$X Million for a half-half split + an increased grant for 4 years. Accepted areas only, mainly ones who aren't big enough for a stand alone team.

$X Per game for games taken to "strategic areas" without an NRL team. Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, NSW & QLD Regional, Christchurch, Wellington, Fiji, PNG etc.

flippikat

Bench
Financial packages are the way to go in my opinion. Probably still unlikely the offer to fully relocate will be taken unless a club is on death's door.

$X Million for a full relocation + an increased annual grant for the first 5 years. Accepted locations only.

$X Million for a half-half split + an increased grant for 4 years. Accepted areas only, mainly ones who aren't big enough for a stand alone team.

$X Per game for games taken to "strategic areas" without an NRL team. Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, NSW & QLD Regional, Christchurch, Wellington, Fiji, PNG etc.

That makes a huge amount of sense. Which naturally means the NRL will never consider it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
who are the vulnerable clubs
sharks
dragons
bulldogs
tigers
eagles
panthers

Unless there is a dramatic reversal in gambling in this country then you can take Panthers, Tigers and Dogs off that list. Their LC's generate enough revenue to keep their heads above water. Eagles are in a precarious position with little football generated revenue and reliant on a small LC and an invested ageing owner. When he passes will be a crunch time for them. Sharks keep losing millions and dont have the LC to bail them out but they've got cash in the bank from sale of assets. How long it will last is anyone's guess. If they can stem the loss then they should be ok. Dragons hard to say. Their LC isnt putting much in but they have the new Gordon family 50% ownership with deep pockets. I dont see any of them getting into enough trouble in the next few years to need to move.

jim_57

Staff member
Unless there is a dramatic reversal in gambling in this country then you can take Panthers, Tigers and Dogs off that list. Their LC's generate enough revenue to keep their heads above water. Eagles are in a precarious position with little football generated revenue and reliant on a small LC and an invested ageing owner. When he passes will be a crunch time for them. Sharks keep losing millions and dont have the LC to bail them out but they've got cash in the bank from sale of assets. How long it will last is anyone's guess. If they can stem the loss then they should be ok. Dragons hard to say. Their LC isnt putting much in but they have the new Gordon family 50% ownership with deep pockets. I dont see any of them getting into enough trouble in the next few years to need to move.

Manly also have the issue of how much longer Brookvale will be up to professional standard. Admittedly I've never been there but it seems to cop a lot of critism for it's standard.

I wonder if a 50/50 split with Central Coast could work or is there still animosity from the Northern Eagles saga?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Manly also have the issue of how much longer Brookvale will be up to professional standard. Admittedly I've never been there but it seems to cop a lot of critism for it's standard.

I wonder if a 50/50 split with Central Coast could work or is there still animosity from the Northern Eagles saga?

Central Coast could work. Or seriously instead of plowing more money into Brooky, just use that money to invest into Pittwater Park, Warriewood as that has the area to make a good complex, though it makes it even harder to get to the ground, though Brooky is a terrible ground for the rest of Sydney to get to anyhow.

flippikat

Bench
so eagles can relocate

Well if they did (say, relocate to be Central Coast Sea-Eagles), then they should move fully.

By that, I mean leave the juniors etc of the peninsula to another NRL club & focus solely on the Central Coast.

It strikes me that the Roosters would be best positioned to take up the area that Manly vacate - especially given their current feeder relationship with Norths.

Maybe run the North Shore/peninsula under the auspices of Norths, and the traditional Eastern Suburbs under the Roosters, with the Roosters representing the combined area in NRL (most home games at SFS, 1 game per year as "back to the shore" wearing a retro Norths jersey), and Norths as feeder club at NSW Cup level.

Big Moose

Juniors
Well if they did (say, relocate to be Central Coast Sea-Eagles), then they should move fully.

By that, I mean leave the juniors etc of the peninsula to another NRL club & focus solely on the Central Coast.

It strikes me that the Roosters would be best positioned to take up the area that Manly vacate - especially given their current feeder relationship with Norths.

Maybe run the North Shore/peninsula under the auspices of Norths, and the traditional Eastern Suburbs under the Roosters, with the Roosters representing the combined area in NRL (most home games at SFS, 1 game per year as "back to the shore" wearing a retro Norths jersey), and Norths as feeder club at NSW Cup level.

We never seem to discuss the relevance of NZ when the talk of a national comp occurs. Yes a Perth team would be nice, but does it offer more than the Warriors (should they ever capitalise on their potential)?
The Warriors are a well recognised brand, you will see their fans all across the country due to the kiwi link.
I think the second Brisbane team is essential to totally consolidate the general rugby league fan base, providing a game in Suncorp each week.
A Perth team by 2025 is good. The players do exist to make it happen.

flippikat

Bench
We never seem to discuss the relevance of NZ when the talk of a national comp occurs. Yes a Perth team would be nice, but does it offer more than the Warriors (should they ever capitalise on their potential)?
The Warriors are a well recognised brand, you will see their fans all across the country due to the kiwi link.
I think the second Brisbane team is essential to totally consolidate the general rugby league fan base, providing a game in Suncorp each week.
A Perth team by 2025 is good. The players do exist to make it happen.

Re: pros and cons of NZ 2 vs Perth (I would love to see both, btw)

You make a good point, in that a 2nd NZ club has a lot to offer, but one key thing that Perth has going for it - above all other expansion candidates - is the late TV timeslot.

If we have a Perth team that plays all it's home games at night (not unreasonable, given the climate), it means a 9.30 PM kickoff on a Friday or Saturday night *every fortnight* for the lucrative Qld/NSW TV market.

That's golden stuff for TV rights.

NZ 2 also has some broadcasting gains too - it would mean you could schedule an early game in NZ every week.. whether that's early Saturday (approx 3.30pm eastern, or 5.30pm NZ time), early Sunday (ditto) Friday night (the 6pm Eastern, 8pm NZT kickoff that's hard sell for Aussie clubs' home games)

There's other factors at play too - merchandising opportunities, rivalry with the Warriors that may get them to lift their game etc.. but with TV rights being a big earner, we can't lose sight of the gains in that regard.

Big Moose

Juniors
Re: pros and cons of NZ 2 vs Perth (I would love to see both, btw)

You make a good point, in that a 2nd NZ club has a lot to offer, but one key thing that Perth has going for it - above all other expansion candidates - is the late TV timeslot.

If we have a Perth team that plays all it's home games at night (not unreasonable, given the climate), it means a 9.30 PM kickoff on a Friday or Saturday night *every fortnight* for the lucrative Qld/NSW TV market.

That's golden stuff for TV rights.

NZ 2 also has some broadcasting gains too - it would mean you could schedule an early game in NZ every week.. whether that's early Saturday (approx 3.30pm eastern, or 5.30pm NZ time), early Sunday (ditto) Friday night (the 6pm Eastern, 8pm NZT kickoff that's hard sell for Aussie clubs' home games)

There's other factors at play too - merchandising opportunities, rivalry with the Warriors that may get them to lift their game etc.. but with TV rights being a big earner, we can't lose sight of the gains in that regard.

My mistake I should have been a little clearer re the Warriors. Whenever there is talk of growing a national comp we tend to overlook the fact we have a pretty popular team sitting in Auckland (despite only 2 GF appearances to its name). Often there is negativity around not having teams in Perth or Adelaide like the AFL, a comparison that I hate making btw, while overlooking we have a team that has the potential to capture all of NZ.
I think Perth is the only viable expansion market for all the reasons you give, tv times are brilliant and there is a local base established already.
Second Brisbane team to solidify the SEQ market as league territory along with a Perth team is exactly what is needed and will work.

blue bags

First Grade
more NRL teams in Brisbane and NZ needed , cause of the amount of juniors playing the game there, compared to Perth , Adelaide

Latest posts