What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's Machiavellian moves

Richard Norton

Juniors
Some considered it disrespectful to the coach, who is a good man under enormous pressure.

Please.

Straight Shooter
This made me spit my coffee out laughing when i read it.
Still going on about "he's a good man" how many years on....
We went from world champions to biggest laughing stock of the NRL in 3 years, and 6 years later we are getting laughed at even more.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons veteran James Graham concedes McGregor-Flanagan coaching relationship 'may get tested' this season

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

James Graham admits the Dragons' new coaching combination of Paul McGregor and Shane Flanagan will be tested throughout the 2020 season.

The arrival of Flanagan in the off-season as an assistant coach was the biggest pieces of business from Red V over the off-season, as the club aim to bury last year's 15th-place finish.

The former premiership-winning mentor with Cronulla, who prior to his appointment as McGregor's assistant coach was deregistered by the NRL, has highlighted his desire to one day return to the head coach's role.

However, the NRL will not allow Flanagan to take up a head coaching role until 2022, after breaking the terms of a prior ban in 2014 amidst the Sharks' salary cap scandal.

MORE: Bulldogs duo stood down ahead of round one for breach of conduct

But with McGregor's position under severe pressure heading into the new season, the nature of the relationship between he and Flanagan has been questioned.

Whilst Graham said the dynamic between the pair has offered a breath of fresh air throughout pre-season, he conceded it will undoubtedly be challenged at times this year.

"That balancing act has worked pretty well I would say so far," Graham told Fox League's NRL 360 on Tuesday.

"At different times throughout the season it may get tested but I think if you went to any NRL team, most assistants would want to be in that head coach's job.

"We're no different. We've got [assistant coach] Dean Young, I imagine he's got ambitions to coach at the top level as well."

James Graham on Flanagan's influence at the Dragons :speaking_head:

WATCH :tv: #NRL360 LIVE on Fox League 502 pic.twitter.com/bydYJVf5Fv

— FOX LEAGUE (@FOXNRL) March 10, 2020

With the Dragons leaking the second-most points last year - just 76 more points than the last-placed Titans - Flanagan has been tasked with transforming the side's defence.

Graham said the influence of Flanagan and his knowledge of what it takes to be a premiership team has been highly motivating.

"He's a winner. He's been to a place as a coach that we want to go to as a group," the former Bulldog said.

"The way he delivers his messages, the things he talks about. He talks about those types of attributes of champion teams [and] instilling that in how we look. He's very technical.

"As well as Shane coming in we got James Shepard as well. His delivery and his messages have been first class.

"They've bought in a few new ideas, [but] we're not reinventing the wheel by any stretch of the imagination but I've been really impressed with what those two have bought to the club."

The Dragons' 2019 season was clouded with off-field distractions, none bigger than the Jack de Belin saga that emerged on the eve of the season.

While there have been minor adjustments to the side's game style with the new coaching set up, Graham said the players moved quickly to move on from last year's disappointing campaign.

"We've got no new distractions [this year], that's been put to bed," he said.

"We buried last year, I think we've moved on and everyone's optimistic. It's going to be a roller coast [year] no doubt.

"We're not reinventing the wheel, a few tweaks here and there, and I'm confident that'll bring the best out of the 17 and the whole squad throughout this season."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...tested-this-season/17u2761f2qhlw1je9yfd5sy3wd

Dragons veteran James Graham concedes McGregor-Flanagan coaching relationship 'may get tested' this season

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd
Getty Images

James Graham admits the Dragons' new coaching combination of Paul McGregor and Shane Flanagan will be tested throughout the 2020 season.

The arrival of Flanagan in the off-season as an assistant coach was the biggest pieces of business from Red V over the off-season, as the club aim to bury last year's 15th-place finish.

The former premiership-winning mentor with Cronulla, who prior to his appointment as McGregor's assistant coach was deregistered by the NRL, has highlighted his desire to one day return to the head coach's role.

However, the NRL will not allow Flanagan to take up a head coaching role until 2022, after breaking the terms of a prior ban in 2014 amidst the Sharks' salary cap scandal.

But with McGregor's position under severe pressure heading into the new season, the nature of the relationship between he and Flanagan has been questioned.

Whilst Graham said the dynamic between the pair has offered a breath of fresh air throughout pre-season, he conceded it will undoubtedly be challenged at times this year.

"That balancing act has worked pretty well I would say so far," Graham told Fox League's NRL 360 on Tuesday.

"At different times throughout the season it may get tested but I think if you went to any NRL team, most assistants would want to be in that head coach's job.

"We're no different. We've got [assistant coach] Dean Young, I imagine he's got ambitions to coach at the top level as well."

With the Dragons leaking the second-most points last year - just 76 more points than the last-placed Titans - Flanagan has been tasked with transforming the side's defence.

Graham said the influence of Flanagan and his knowledge of what it takes to be a premiership team has been highly motivating.

"He's a winner. He's been to a place as a coach that we want to go to as a group," the former Bulldog said.

"The way he delivers his messages, the things he talks about. He talks about those types of attributes of champion teams [and] instilling that in how we look. He's very technical.

"As well as Shane coming in we got James Shepard as well. His delivery and his messages have been first class.

"They've bought in a few new ideas, [but] we're not reinventing the wheel by any stretch of the imagination but I've been really impressed with what those two have bought to the club."

The Dragons' 2019 season was clouded with off-field distractions, none bigger than the Jack de Belin saga that emerged on the eve of the season.

While there have been minor adjustments to the side's game style with the new coaching set up, Graham said the players moved quickly to move on from last year's disappointing campaign.

"We buried last year, I think we've moved on and everyone's optimistic. It's going to be a roller coast [year] no doubt.

"We're not reinventing the wheel, a few tweaks here and there, and I'm confident that'll bring the best out of the 17 and the whole squad throughout this season."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...tested-this-season/17u2761f2qhlw1je9yfd5sy3wd

I especially like:

"The way he [Flanno] delivers his messages, the things he talks about. He talks about those types of attributes of champion teams [and] instilling that in how we look. He's very technical.

"As well as Shane coming in we got James Shepard as well. His delivery and his messages have been first class."

But at least our head coach is a good bloke.

Straight Shooter

LINESPEED

Juniors
I especially like:

"The way he [Flanno] delivers his messages, the things he talks about. He talks about those types of attributes of champion teams [and] instilling that in how we look. He's very technical.

"As well as Shane coming in we got James Shepard as well. His delivery and his messages have been first class."

Straight Shooter

Hmmm....yeah

The joke’s been on us nearly 7 years FFS

A good bloke doesn’t wantonly fu*k up a great Club

& its juniors especially

...and a good bloke would not throw decent people under the bus

....and would certainly take responsibility for 6 failed years & walk

Good blokes aren’t vain & egotistical

They don’t deflect & dissemble

They have ethical principles & generate respect beyond barroom gladhanding

Good blokes per se don’t usually win premierships

Great coaches do though

Waterboy the accidental coach is not a good bloke

The label is
a total misnomer & convenient fabrication to keep a great Club down by justifying keeping an idiot in charge.

We are not an equal opportunity outfit

- as we seem to be with all the support mechanisms zimmerframing the totally flawed so-called ‘good bloke’

He is in fact a conniving ars*hole of the highest order

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors

The club's most senior player openly (but diplomatically) admitting that there are two bosses, two egos that they need to 'balance', but also 'no new distractions...sounds like a winning formula that will definitely work out :rolleyes: . Just like when teams name several co-captains.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd
Getty Images

In summary - Mary to blame Flanno for the poor performance this year.

End of year review occurs, Flanno gets the punt.

LINESPEED

Juniors
The club's most senior player openly (but diplomatically) admitting that there are two bosses, two egos that they need to 'balance', but also 'no new distractions...sounds like a winning formula that will definitely work out :rolleyes: . Just like when teams name several co-captains.

Yes
But had Graham been less diplomatic last year I reckon Waterboy would’ve been gone

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I especially like:

Straight Shooter

Like you, i think this was the most important message delivered by JG.
It will become a 3 way fight which will no doubt explode at some point in the season probably before we even get to Anzac Day.

As you say Flanno and Shep are professional, who deliver important information and ideas etc. The other just a good bloke.

It will become a 3 way fight which will no doubt explode at some point in the season probably before we even get to Anzac Day.

As you say Flanno and Shep are professional, who deliver important information and ideas etc. The other just a good bloke.

If he were a good bloke he would leave quietly and thank the club and supporters for their patience.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Only thing, good blokes don't throw people under busses because of their own incompetence

BLM01

First Grade