What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup RD 1

1 DYLAN SMITH
2 WILLIAM KEI
3 TOMMY TALAU
4 MATHESON JOHNS
5 KANE BRADLEY
6 BRENDAN O’HAGAN
7 JOCK MADDEN
8 MATTHEW EISENHUTH
9 JAKE SIMPKIN
10 OLIVER CLARK
11 CHRIS MCQUEEN
12 ALEXANDER SEYFARTH
13 SAM MCINTYRE
14 JORDIN LEIU
15 TERRELL MAY
16 LACHLAN TALAU
17 AUSTIN DIAS
21 MICHAEL FENN

Tiger05

First Grade
Pretty good team. Interesting that Seyfarth is playing on an edge or appears to be. I assumed he was more of a middle forward and McIntrye an edge forward.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Never heard of the 5/8.Expecting Simpkin to kill it & hope Madden puts enormous pressure on Brooks & can at the very least b a capable replacement for Brooks if needed.Interested to see how the 2-5 go especially Talau & in the forwards I’m hoping Seyfarth realises the potential i believe he has.He should b knocking on the door of NRL team sooner than later.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Very young side

Assuming Ratu must be injured and Cini/Hoffman in Flegg

From the Raiders, I think was actually in their top 30 last year. Played nsw Jnr reps but looks a midget from the training pics
Very good centre combination in flegg.Also we have another up & coming centre in Curtis Wilson the nephew of Ken Wilson in the squad who must also b injured.

Vozzy

Juniors
Also Che Kam not named here probably due to game day pull outs of first grade game. Ever since the round 1 teams were announced and saw Che Kam 18th man been thinking Madge will play him and drop Lawrence or Reynolds. Also heard that Garner has a niggling injury maybe aswell.

The unknown

Juniors
Also Che Kam not named here probably due to game day pull outs of first grade game. Ever since the round 1 teams were announced and saw Che Kam 18th man been thinking Madge will play him and drop Lawrence or Reynolds. Also heard that Garner has a niggling injury maybe aswell.

I think the Garner injury cloud was the head knock he copped in the trial however the 2 week break helped. Had it of been the regular season he would have missed this game for sure

Talau double inspires Magpies win

Blake Edwards

The Wests Magpies have kicked off their 2020 season in style with a polished 32-12 victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons in Wollongong on Sunday.

Wests were looking to start their 2020 campaign on better terms than they left their 2019 season, where they failed to qualify for the finals, whilst the Dragons were aiming to continue their 2019 momentum after falling just short of a Grand Final appearance. The youthful looking Red V were bolstered with the handy inclusion of experienced campaigner Euan Aitken, who was not selected in the NRL side for their Round 1 fixture against the Wests Tigers.

Wests finally struck within the first ten minutes, when Jock Madden slid through staggering Dragons defenders, to plant the ball down. Gifted another opportunity moments later courtesy of a penalty, front rower Matt Eisenhuth showed a great surge of strength to barge over from close range. Madden kept his perfect record intact, slotting the goal for a 12-0 lead.

The Dragons found it hard to get into the contest throughout the first quarter of the game, struggling to get out of their own end in attack, mainly due to dishing up simple errors. The Magpies made the most of this opportunity in the good ball area, with centre Tommy Talau dancing across the field before finding a gap in the sliding defence to dash through and score. Madden couldn’t convert, so the score remained at 16-0.

Treigh Stewart turned the Dragons misfortunes around late in the half, when he raced 80m to score a brilliant try. Tristan Sailor nailed the extras to close the halftime gap to 16-6.

Despite losing a handle on the momentum prior to the intermission, the Magpies found their way across the line through ex Dragons Junior Matheson Johns, who scored a neat try out wide. Madden’s conversion was successful, pushing his sides lead out to 22-6.

The Dragons continued to struggle in attack, lacking cohesion which in turn led to errors. The new halves pairing of Tyran Wishart and Tristan Sailor was always going to take time, with big shoes to fill after the loss of stalwart Darren Nicholls and the promotion of Adam Clune into the first grade setup.

However, the Dragons found a stroke of luck inside their mishaps, when they created an overlap for young gun Jason Saab to race away to score, to keep his side in the contest at 22-12 heading into the final fifteen minutes.

The hosts fortunes were short lived with Wests responding immediately, when Talau notched his double. The extras were added by Madden, with the Magpies holding a handy 28-12 lead. A four pointer to Dylan Smith on the stroke of full time saw Wests run out 32-12 victors.

NSW Cup Team of the Week

3. Tommy Talau
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies
Two tries, one line-break, seven tackle-breaks, 162 run metres, 47 post-contact.

11 Chris McQueen
175 run metres, 88 post-contact, three tackle-breaks, 25 tackles.

Sam McIntyre
One try-assist, one line-break assist, three tackle-breaks, 176 run metres, 58 post-contact, 33 tackles.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/03/16/highlights-st-george-illawarra-v-western-suburbs-rd-1/

The unknown

Juniors
I’m telling you if Talau isn’t a regular 1st grader soon i will eat my hat. He was a man on a mission in that game

I also didn’t really rate McIntyre a year or so ago but he was really impressive in the trials and on Sunday. Seems to have bulked up a ton, amazing what a good coach can do

I’m telling you if Talau isn’t a regular 1st grader soon i will eat my hat. He was a man on a mission in that game
Well unknown, who knows if you'll see him soon as,
The New South Wales Rugby League is set to announce tomorrow that all rugby league, from under-6's through to the NSW Cup, will be postponed until June.

The NSWRL held a meeting this morning, where it was determined that all competitions would be suspended until mid-way through the year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I also didn’t really rate McIntyre a year or so ago but he was really impressive in the trials and on Sunday. Seems to have bulked up a ton, amazing what a good coach can do

I’m mates with a guy who’s in the coaching staff at Wyong, has coached both Luke Garner and McIntyre. They both followed the same career path, starting in the centers and moving to the backrow, he said McIntyre will end up the better player. Interesting to watch how he progresses this year.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Talau is certainly a gun & Madge rates him !

Just when we’ve got the best squad in a decade the season is on tenterhooks.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Behind a pay wall :/

While it’s good getting him next year it kinda sucks we won’t get to see him develope. But on the flip side, it means he won’t get to impress @ Parramatta and possibly negate on his tigers contract

Stefano Utoikamanu is doing this as much for his brother as for himself.

The drive that has made him a potential Blues Origin bolter and the subject of a tug-of-war between two rival NRL clubs – before he has even made a single first-grade appearance – comes from a source very close to home.

The teenage sensation’s dream is to make it in the NRL, one that he will likely fulfil this season at Parramatta, rather than his future employers at Wests Tigers. It was an ambition once shared by his older brother Filia, who was also a gun junior coming through the Eels ranks.

However, Filia’s rugby league career came to a shattering halt in 2017 when he broke his neck in a lower-grade fixture. It was a huge setback for the family and ended any hopes of the siblings running onto the field together at the highest level.

toikamanu is using it as motivation to fulfil his undoubted potential and become one of the game’s most promising prospects.

“Hopefully I can get a debut for him, it’s really important for me,” Utoikamanu told the Herald last year in his first interview.

“He was supposed to be here with me. It’s hard because I’d always been training with him, we’d always pushed each other. It’s been really tough without him. He gives me strength.

“He was training really hard and then he was told he wouldn’t be able to play rugby league again. It’s pretty tough.

“He broke his neck and one of the arteries got cut off, so there’s only one artery that was pumping blood to his brain, and when something happens to that it’s no good.

“Mentally, it was a big shock because he took rugby league for granted as well. It’s tough when somebody tells you you can’t do something you love.

“It’s a big motivation for me. I know he wanted to be here. It’s good for me, to be playing for him. That’s very big for me.”

To date, Utoikamanu is that guy many league fans have heard of but not seen play. Good judges have likened him to Brisbane powerhouse Payne Haas and the hype went to another level on Tuesday when NSW coach Brad Fittler earmarked him as one of eight Eels on his radar for the upcoming Origin series.

Parramatta had planned for Utoikamanu to be a mainstay of their forward pack, but the Tigers snuck under their guard with a three-year, $800,000 deal beginning from next season. The joint-venture outfit figured his signature would pressure the Eels into an early release, but they responded by upgrading his contract to top-30 status, paving the way for an NRL debut this year.

Up until now, few have been privy to Utoikamanu’s backstory. But now that the junior Blues star is set to be thrust into the limelight, it’s an opportune time to reveal other setbacks he has overcome on his journey. Like the two shoulder operations that wrote off two entire seasons.

“I did my left shoulder twice, in 2016 and ‘17,” he said. “It was two seasons on the sidelines. [Retirement] thoughts started popping into my head when I did it the second time.

“The first time I was rehabbing really well and in my very first game back, it popped out straight away. I got another op, started working really hard, came back and was just trying to think positive, work hard and see where I get to.”

Those challenges appear to have steeled Utoikamanu. The Westfield Sports High School product will run out for the Eels this year before switching to the Tigers, although he supported neither of those teams while growing up.

“When I was younger I was on the bandwagon, I used to go for the Storm,” he said.

It would've been great to have him this season. With the COVID-19 this season it's turned into a shit show. Hopefully for his sake and the Tigers he can remain injury free because he has huge potential. I saw him play a few games last year for Wenty in the NSW Cup. He's a weapon!

The unknown

Juniors
Stefano Utoikamanu is doing this as much for his brother as for himself.

The drive that has made him a potential Blues Origin bolter and the subject of a tug-of-war between two rival NRL clubs – before he has even made a single first-grade appearance – comes from a source very close to home.

The teenage sensation’s dream is to make it in the NRL, one that he will likely fulfil this season at Parramatta, rather than his future employers at Wests Tigers. It was an ambition once shared by his older brother Filia, who was also a gun junior coming through the Eels ranks.

However, Filia’s rugby league career came to a shattering halt in 2017 when he broke his neck in a lower-grade fixture. It was a huge setback for the family and ended any hopes of the siblings running onto the field together at the highest level.

toikamanu is using it as motivation to fulfil his undoubted potential and become one of the game’s most promising prospects.

“Hopefully I can get a debut for him, it’s really important for me,” Utoikamanu told the Herald last year in his first interview.

“He was supposed to be here with me. It’s hard because I’d always been training with him, we’d always pushed each other. It’s been really tough without him. He gives me strength.

“He was training really hard and then he was told he wouldn’t be able to play rugby league again. It’s pretty tough.

“He broke his neck and one of the arteries got cut off, so there’s only one artery that was pumping blood to his brain, and when something happens to that it’s no good.

“Mentally, it was a big shock because he took rugby league for granted as well. It’s tough when somebody tells you you can’t do something you love.

“It’s a big motivation for me. I know he wanted to be here. It’s good for me, to be playing for him. That’s very big for me.”

To date, Utoikamanu is that guy many league fans have heard of but not seen play. Good judges have likened him to Brisbane powerhouse Payne Haas and the hype went to another level on Tuesday when NSW coach Brad Fittler earmarked him as one of eight Eels on his radar for the upcoming Origin series.

Parramatta had planned for Utoikamanu to be a mainstay of their forward pack, but the Tigers snuck under their guard with a three-year, $800,000 deal beginning from next season. The joint-venture outfit figured his signature would pressure the Eels into an early release, but they responded by upgrading his contract to top-30 status, paving the way for an NRL debut this year.

Up until now, few have been privy to Utoikamanu’s backstory. But now that the junior Blues star is set to be thrust into the limelight, it’s an opportune time to reveal other setbacks he has overcome on his journey. Like the two shoulder operations that wrote off two entire seasons.

“I did my left shoulder twice, in 2016 and ‘17,” he said. “It was two seasons on the sidelines. [Retirement] thoughts started popping into my head when I did it the second time.

“The first time I was rehabbing really well and in my very first game back, it popped out straight away. I got another op, started working really hard, came back and was just trying to think positive, work hard and see where I get to.”

Those challenges appear to have steeled Utoikamanu. The Westfield Sports High School product will run out for the Eels this year before switching to the Tigers, although he supported neither of those teams while growing up.

“When I was younger I was on the bandwagon, I used to go for the Storm,” he said.

It would've been great to have him this season. With the COVID-19 this season it's turned into a shit show. Hopefully for his sake and the Tigers he can remain injury free because he has huge potential. I saw him play a few games last year for Wenty in the NSW Cup. He's a weapon!

It’s a good read, if he proves to be even half as good as Payne Haas the contract is justified