What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. North Queensland Cowboys

Big Pete

Referee
North Queensland Cowboys vs. Brisbane Broncos
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Friday 13 March 2020
Kick Off 7:05pm

Brisbane Broncos
14. Jamayne Isaako 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Darius Boyd 5. Jesse Arthars 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft (c) 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. David Fifita 12. Tevita Pangai Jr 13. Patrick Carrigan (c)

15. Andrew McCullough 16. Rhys Kennedy 17. Jamil Hopoate 19. Herbie Farnworth

18. Xavier Coates 20. Tom Dearden 21. Ethan Bullemor

North Queensland

1. Valentine Holmes 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Justin O'Neil 4. Esan Marsters 5. Ben Hampton 6. Scott Drinkwater 7. Michael Morgan 8. John Asiata 9. Jake Granville 10. Jordan McLean 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Coen Hess 13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Reece Robson 15. Mitchell Dunn 16. Shane Wright 17. Francis Molo

18. Corey Jensen 19. Connelly Leumelu 20. Tom Opacic 21. Jake Clifford

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
According to Peter Badel and Chris Garry the Round 1 side is shaping up as...

1. Jack Bird 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Darius Boyd 5. Jesse Arthars 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Tevita Pangai Jr 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn (c) 12. David Fifita 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange
14. Andrew McCullough 15. Jamayne Isaako 16. Rhys Kennedy 17. Tom Flegler

And Jamil Hopoate is on stand-by for Alex Glenn.

Now that might be the best 17 available given the unavailabilities of Matt Lodge and Joe Ofahengaue but it's pretty alarming that Seibold has gone for two utility players. I know that Payne Haas and Patrick Carrigan have fair motors on them, but it's a huge ask for Round 1 to expect them to get through 70-80 minutes, especially against a pack that contains Jason Taumalolo.

I see it as a concession that neither Bullemor, Petterson-Robati, Riki etc. are good enough and the same could be said of Lloyd Perrett, Francis Tualau and Lachlan Timm who all trialled with the team.

Seibold cannot afford a slow start in 2020. Broncos fans have had to live with the 58-0 scoreline for nearly six months and if they go 1-4 or heaven forbid 0-5 I dare say he's on borrowed time.

We'll know more in six days time but as it stands I think Broncos fans have to brace themselves.

Big Pete

Referee
For comparison's sake...

FW1 vs. Parramatta
1. Anthony Milford 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Alex Glenn 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. Darius Boyd 7. Jake Turpin 8. Matt Lodge 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Payne Haas 11. David Fifita 12. Matt Gillett 13. Joe Ofahengaue

14. James Segeyaro 15. Tom Flegler 16. Gehamat Shibasaki 17. Patrick Carrigan

They've welcomed back Jack Bird and Tevita Pangai Jr, they've lost Matt Lodge and Joe Ofahengaue and the only new players they've brought in are Jesse Arthars and Brodie Croft.

I don't know how they expect fans to be confident in this side, especially when Arthars and Croft hardly dominated the competition prior to signing.

It's going to take something extradinary for the Broncos to dig themselves out of this.

Last edited:

MrSticky94

Juniors
Yuck! If that 17 is true Seibold can get f**ked! Still coming up with excuses to keep Darius in the side and his bench is straight up garbage. Having the likes of McCullough and Isaako on the bench is straight up suicidal and shows he can't manage a side properly. Your asking for young players like Haas who is still super young to play 80 minutes when he will end up getting burned out by seasons end and we'll wonder why. Fans have had enough and if we don't start well, Seibold will cop it more than he did last year and his buddy Paul White can't save him this time. I normally look forwad to this time of year when the season is starting but this year i'm not and that is coming from incompetent coaching and having past it players keep making the squad is ridiculous.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Not looking promising sadly.

the only hope is that Boyd gets hooked, moves Arthurs to centre and Isaako on the wing, and that's the last we see of Boyd.

McCullough on the bench is diabolical. If he really has to be in the team I'd prefer he do the first 20 minutes.

Either way, I can't see us winning this one.

Big Pete

Referee
McCullough on the bench is diabolical. If he really has to be in the team I'd prefer he do the first 20 minutes.

I understand the logic, but it's important to give Turpin every opportunity to impress and stamp his mark in the position. By starting McCullough you're sending mixed messages to the players.

It's a move you'd consider if Turpin wasn't working out, but first game of the season it's important to put your best foot forward.

DeeJ

Bench
What stupid team selections. I can kind of see McCullough as a utility as he can cover hooker, halves and lock. Isaako shouldn't be in the side if he isn't starting. Boyd is meant to be last years bad dream yet here he is again.

What's the incentive for our young backs to stay at the club when we reward mediocrity?

gUt

Coach
Absolutely baffling.

Cows at home in their new stadium against the hated southern former big brother? Our only hope is they choke on the sense of occasion.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I understand the logic, but it's important to give Turpin every opportunity to impress and stamp his mark in the position. By starting McCullough you're sending mixed messages to the players.

It's a move you'd consider if Turpin wasn't working out, but first game of the season it's important to put your best foot forward.

The problem is later in the match when we are looking for a spark through the middle, it won't be coming from McCullough. I don't buy that he provides good coverage of other positions. He is barely NRL standard for his preferred position ffs.

I think we need to change this perception that bench players need be necessarily worse than starting players. A good bench player can change the whole complexion of a game.

What do you think of Boyd's selection? I thought trials were going to be a deciding factor, and his last trial game was garbage.

Big Pete

Referee
The problem is later in the match when we are looking for a spark through the middle, it won't be coming from McCullough. I don't buy that he provides good coverage of other positions. He is barely NRL standard for his preferred position ffs.

I think we need to change this perception that bench players need be necessarily worse than starting players. A good bench player can change the whole complexion of a game.

What do you think of Boyd's selection? I thought trials were going to be a deciding factor, and his last trial game was garbage.

I think that can be true of some forwards, but when it comes to your spine players it's important to give your best players every opportunity. Especially in the case of the current Broncos side when they're trying to build new combinations. I don't think it would be fair on either Milford or Croft to have them put up with 'lesser' service for the opening 20. You could also run into a situation where McCullough is actually playing well and you'd be left in a situation where you've got to decide whether to stick with what's working, or the preconceived plan.

I don't think it's a bad tactic if things aren't going to script, but for the first game of the season they need to get behind their new spine.

Darius should have done the right thing and retired after the Eels game. He clearly isn't up to it anymore and he's just doing it for the pay cheque. I can hardly blame him, but he has to realise that he's embarrassing himself and pissing off the fanbase with his efforts. He doesn't deserve to be there and Seibs is really trying to do right by him and McCullough.

I also think it's a concession from Seibs that he doesn't really trust the young players coming through and won't until he's under pressure.

Big Pete

Referee
Both teams have been announced with Alex Glenn succumbing to his hamstring injury, allowing Jamil Hopoate to make his NRL debut. It's worth noting that Seibold and Jamil go back a few years when Seibs was working as an assistant coach at Manly during 2016. Jamil was actually set to make his debut back then but the NRL blocked it due to his criminal record.

Jamil has been a stand-out in reserve grade for a number of years and he deserves an opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he happened to be one of the most skillful players at the club, it's just a matter of how he handles this level athletically.

Big Pete

Referee
Terrible news, it appears Jack Bird has suffered a serious knee injury at training.

No word on who would be the back-up fullback, I'd presume it's between Isaako and Arthars. Isaako would have to be the favourite given he actually trialled there but his form was so indifferent, Seibold may have go with Jesse. That would allow Coates to come onto the wing which seems far more likely than Bullemor coming onto the bench.

This season is fast becoming 2010, except the Broncos don't have a Lockyer and Folau type to actually turn things around.

Big Pete

Referee
According to Badel, Isaako will in fact play fullback. No word on who will come onto the bench.

Apparently it's the same knee he injured against Manly.

Spot On

Coach
Wow, Bennett is really having a long lasting legacy on the Broncs with the signings he made.

900K a season for Bird. Feel very sorry for the fella but that cash will ease thr pain.

At least he secured Haas for you guys.

Big Pete

Referee
Seibold is going to stick with his initial idea and play a back off the bench. Herbie Farnworth will come onto the bench, with Isaako being promoted to fullback.

Latest posts