What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Wow, interesting to hear this. Since moving to Brisbane, Easts have been my QRL team due to me living walking distance from Langlands Park when I first arrived.

However, I have never had a "second team" and won't subscribe to that garbage.

It does make sense, but I think the Western Corridor bid makes the most sense. Not that that means anything...

blue bags

First Grade
Wow, interesting to hear this. Since moving to Brisbane, Easts have been my QRL team due to me living walking distance from Langlands Park when I first arrived.

However, I have never had a "second team" and won't subscribe to that garbage.

It does make sense, but I think the Western Corridor bid makes the most sense. Not that that means anything...
western bid has the least money between the 3 bidding contenders

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
western bid has the least money between the 3 bidding contenders

Yes unfortunately this is the case. I am completely against Brisbane Bombers. Hate the name and don't think it'll work as well as Easts (Insert Mascot Here) or the Western Corridors.

The Northside/Southside 'rivalry' is very much a 'thing' up here in Brissy, and I think having a presence on the "Southside" would be great.

But as I mentioned, in terms of making the most sense, I'd be pushing for the Western Corridors.

flippikat

Bench
Yes unfortunately this is the case. I am completely against Brisbane Bombers. Hate the name and don't think it'll work as well as Easts (Insert Mascot Here) or the Western Corridors.

The Northside/Southside 'rivalry' is very much a 'thing' up here in Brissy, and I think having a presence on the "Southside" would be great.

But as I mentioned, in terms of making the most sense, I'd be pushing for the Western Corridors.

Maybe the Western Corridor should start talking withthe Bombers bid & see if they can strike a deal that combines the money of the Bombers with the actual footy heritage of the WC bid? Best of both worlds....

MugaB

Coach
Maybe the Western Corridor should start talking withthe Bombers bid & see if they can strike a deal that combines the money of the Bombers with the actual footy heritage of the WC bid? Best of both worlds....
Yes this, i mentioned on another thread that could be the Brisbane Bandits, or Brisbane Barons, instead of the Bombers or Jets, to atleast not get specific mascot to either, but hve relevance to both, and maybe go Green and Gold, as their colors as there isn't a Nrl Qld side to go with those colors, as there is already too many red/blue teams in general

20200312_092443.png

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
they could go super modern and trendy and just call the team simply "B 23"

B for Brisbane, 23 to represent 2023 or whatever year they are established.

MugaB

Coach
they could go super modern and trendy and just call the team simply "B 23"

B for Brisbane, 23 to represent 2023 or whatever year they are established.
Also if Easts Tigers go with a joint bid with Redcliffe they could be Easts Dolphins, go Orange, Red and white
It may shore up Morton bay, Sunshine coast and eastern suburbs of brisbane, maybe add wynumm manly as a feeder club also.
And if they are looking for a second expansion club for brisbane to go to 18 teams, the Western Corridor + Bomber bid that i said before of the Brisbane Barons

MugaB

Coach
If these to like up, Brisbane Jets seems obvious....
The Bombers bid has its brand/logo already, changing the name won't be as hard as them completely re doing the logo, as the original bomber logo isn't a jet, its a pilot, hence why i suggested a generic baron over a specific plane/jet, not sure if there is a mascot logo that has a pilot representing a club called jets. Im not sure if western corridor would get anything out of the bid if the "bombers" remained as colors and branding.
Where if Brisbane Bombers still continues to keep their banding/logo but Ipswich get their colors, and they meet in the middle regarding the name of the mascot to suit both parties

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The Bombers bid has its brand/logo already, changing the name won't be as hard as them completely re doing the logo, as the original bomber logo isn't a jet, its a pilot, hence why i suggested a generic baron over a specific plane/jet, not sure if there is a mascot logo that has a pilot representing a club called jets. Im not sure if western corridor would get anything out of the bid if the "bombers" remained as colors and branding.
Where if Brisbane Bombers still continues to keep their banding/logo but Ipswich get their colors, and they meet in the middle regarding the name of the mascot to suit both parties
Except that the word 'Baron' is a title and is not specific to a pilot. It's just associated with a pilot because of the Red Baron as generally pilots/officers were from a high social standing. The term Baron is actually one of the lowest ranks in social hierarchy.

This is why Bombers (not that I want them to use a name already synonymous with the AFL) actually works because its a type of plane and refers to the person who executed the bombing on bombing runs (also referred to as a bombadier).

MugaB

Coach
Except that the word 'Baron' is a title and is not specific to a pilot. It's just associated with a pilot because of the Red Baron as generally pilots/officers were from a high social standing. The term Baron is actually one of the lowest ranks in social hierarchy.

This is why Bombers (not that I want them to use a name already synonymous with the AFL) actually works because its a type of plane and refers to the person who executed the bombing on bombing runs (also referred to as a bombadier).
Yeah and making it all technical or litteral doesn't really make much difference, theres a bunch of teams called barons, some are pilots, some have the monocle and top hat, some kings/royalty with crowns, all different colors not just red as in the red baron, im ok with a vague interpretations, like our past teams of illawarra steelers, canberra raiders, and Sth Qld crushers, weren't specific to anything, niether st george dragons as they were st george dragon-slayers as in the knight of sorts, i dont know, im happy if Barons for generic brisbane team, at this point, anything better than the name bombers

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I dont think this matters. People will make the connection.

There are plenty of brands that do it this way. For one, Cowboys have a star a bone on their badge and they do ok.

blue bags

First Grade
AFL has a bombers, forget it, get something new , fresh, its stupid going bombers for many reasons , wake up , 1st thing is sponsors, fans, children, that will instantly fall in love with the franchise, if the right mascot, colours are picked, thats the idea

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah and making it all technical or litteral doesn't really make much difference, theres a bunch of teams called barons, some are pilots, some have the monocle and top hat, some kings/royalty with crowns, all different colors not just red as in the red baron, im ok with a vague interpretations, like our past teams of illawarra steelers, canberra raiders, and Sth Qld crushers, weren't specific to anything, niether st george dragons as they were st george dragon-slayers as in the knight of sorts, i dont know, im happy if Barons for generic brisbane team, at this point, anything better than the name bombers

If you call the team the Barons and have an aviation/pilot theme then people are going to make the connection with the Red Baron whether it's "generic" or not, because, as MrE_Assassin said, the only reason that the concepts of Barons and pilots are associated is because of Baron von Richthofen.

Why go with the name Barons when you are going to have to destroy the cool stuff that is totally unique and interesting about the Bombers brand to do it!?

Why not keep the Charles Kingsford Smith logo and the blue, orange, and sliver colour scheme, but rename the team to something like the Aces.

Or if you want to do something really different and interesting call them something the like the South Brisbane Southern Cross (or just Cross), i.e. keep the Charles Kingsford Smith logo and name the team for his plane the Southern Cross.

Pippen94

First Grade
If you call the team the Barons and have an aviation/pilot theme then people are going to make the connection with the Red Baron whether it's "generic" or not, because, as MrE_Assassin said, the only reason that the concepts of Barons and pilots are associated is because of Baron von Richthofen.

Why go with the name Barons when you are going to have to destroy the cool stuff that is totally unique and interesting about the Bombers brand to do it!?

Why not keep the Charles Kingsford Smith logo and the blue, orange, and sliver colour scheme, but rename the team to something like the Aces.

Or if you want to do something really different and interesting call them something the like the South Brisbane Southern Cross (or just Cross), i.e. keep the Charles Kingsford Smith logo and name the team for his plane the Southern Cross.
socially tone deaf - Southern cross has racial undertones with nationalists group using it

Pippen94

First Grade
An inner city team representing the south including Ipswich & Logan is like putting a team in homebush & calling it gws. Outer areas of Brisbane should get their own team

Latest posts