What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor suspended

DIOGENES

Juniors
I used to work at Canterbury Hospital, whenever shit like this happened you could expect a phone call saying the players would like to visit the kids’ ward. They would then show up, hand out a few footballs and have photos taken so that the world would realise that they are really caring, thoughtful professionals.
I think the hospital would be crazy to allow a visit after this one.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Yeah, the biggest problem is the fact that your using the word ‘kids’ to describe the girl and not the players. It’s disingenuous.

Haha what is she? A 17yo schoolwoman? Or shall we call the 23/24 yo footballers kids?

Coparugby

Juniors
I’m sure all of the parents are delighted to have a mental giant such as yourself speaking on their behalf.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’m gonna choose to not start making shit up to support mine though.

Is it officially mandated by the NRL or is this another rule that’s being massaged on the fly?
Looks like the old priests’ home has left them unattended online again..

DIOGENES

Juniors
I think don’t screw girls you meet at an official clinic would be a rule implied by the code of conduct rather than specifically mandated
Don’t take strays, of any type, back to your room in the team hotel was apparently a specific directive of the club.

myrrh ken

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/86fc7280ddcb372ccc97795a9158f28b

CHN might be alright. Apparently met the girl at her after school job. Probably get a Joel Clinton style fine.

Okunbor on the other hand might be in trouble. There might be a question of whether this actually breaches the NRL code of conduct. I'm sure there will be pressure to fit in into one of the provisions, but for me I think its not an easy fit.Certainly its a breach of the bulldog's team instruction.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/community/pdfs/code-of-conduct-2020.pdf

Pommy

Coach
Yeah I stripped all the grubby context around how they met. If he's not happy with the scenario I posed he definitely won't be onboard them meeting these blokes at a school visit.

You can ban players for not breaking the law. Hence these lads being banned.

Ok I oversimplified you’re can’t ban players for having consensual sex which is the scenario you put out and they haven’t been. Had they met them on Tinder or on the street there would be nothing for the NRL to do.

Sphagnum

Coach
Looks like the old priests’ home has left them unattended online again..
So is this your thing? Hopefully nobody dies of boredom before it runs its course.

I’m not disputing that this isn’t a good look for the NRL or that the players should be punished by the club for blatantly disregarding a club lockout rule at the hotel.

I am disputing the fact that these guys should have their careers thrown in the garbage for it. Nothing illegal happened and nobody got hurt.

Cop the suspension and/or fine; learn the lesson and move on.

I imagine there will be a massive overreaction though because that’s what sells papers and keeps these useless social justice warriors engaged.

Dragons154

Juniors
The
Ok I oversimplified you’re can’t ban players for having consensual sex which is the scenario you put out and they haven’t been. Had they met them on Tinder or on the street there would be nothing for the NRL to do.

The fact is they didn’t meet on tinder, they didn’t meet in a club...

he met her whilst being an official visitor at a school and representing the bulldogs and NRL. All of these ‘what if’s’ are bloody pointless...

it’s like saying, “what if pommy had a moral compass and half a clue” it’s a irrelevant comment which clearly isn’t true.

my guess would be that the majority of those not seeing a problem with this are the same people that think it’s okay for a person to be raped depending on what they are wearing.

the daily telegraph has put out an article saying that Jayden will get the boot

I used to work at Canterbury Hospital, whenever shit like this happened you could expect a phone call saying the players would like to visit the kids’ ward. They would then show up, hand out a few footballs and have photos taken so that the world would realise that they are really caring, thoughtful professionals.
I think the hospital would be crazy to allow a visit after this one.

Are you serious?!?!?!? There not gonna smash sick kids at the hospital! Wake up mate

Exsilium

First Grade
Football players engage schools to promote the game, their club and for a lot of the younger generation, they are seen as larger than life individuals. In that specific environment, interactions other than what they are there to do, is not acceptable.

They represent their employer and the fans of the game who ultimately enable them to have a career.

I don't expect much from footballers but I do expect that an organisation and its employees, act and uphold themselves in a way that's not going to damage or otherwise disrupt the game.

When these incidents occur, it widens the gap and we potentially lose support from young men and women who previously engaged in the game. Parents will turn to other codes. Schools turn their back.

Its disappointing, above all else, that this continues to happen.

Coparugby

Juniors
So is this your thing? Hopefully nobody dies of boredom before it runs its course.

I’m not disputing that this isn’t a good look for the NRL or that the players should be punished by the club for blatantly disregarding a club lockout rule at the hotel.

I am disputing the fact that these guys should have their careers thrown in the garbage for it. Nothing illegal happened and nobody got hurt.

Cop the suspension and/or fine; learn the lesson and move on.

I imagine there will be a massive overreaction though because that’s what sells papers and keeps these useless social justice warriors engaged.
A $2 million hit on an employer in almost any industry would see someone fired and put on an unofficial industry wide do not employ list.

The players must be treated like adults.

Fire them, possibly sue them, and move on with business.

Don't know why this is a big deal ay, nothing against the law, only thing done wrong was break team rules by bringing a chick back to hotel yeah?

It's easy for everybody to sit on their high horse and judge these guys tell them they are terrible and disgusting ...
Chances are, you wouldn't get a fraction of the female attention and temptation these guys get , that's just facts ....

I bet the NRL would handle it different if it was the first openly gay player and he banged a bloke from the school, they would celebrate it, geezz they would prob get maclamore back to sing a song , sick of how politically correct our game has become

BadnMean

Juniors
A $2 million hit on an employer in almost any industry would see someone fired and put on an unofficial industry wide do not employ list.

The players must be treated like adults.

Fire them, possibly sue them, and move on with business.

Aren't you capable of following the argument mate? It's only the schoolkids who we are expected to regard as fully fledged adults in this scenario.

It doesn’t change the fact that he met her at school when he was acting in a professional capacity.

When you go to a school (and I can’t stress this strongly enough)...

Dont. f**k. The. Schoolchildren.

not justifying it or saying it’s anything but a hook up. But.

At my school in year 12 there were loads of girls I knew dating much older guys outside school. However they met, wasn’t unusual.

Another girl who used to work for me was in school and met her future husband, 4/5 years older than her, through a mutual school friend first meeting each other at school. Married for over 10 years now with 2 kids.

Again, so what if the they genuinely liked each other.. and ended up in a strong, long term relationship..

I wonder what would happen now..

And how it would be looked on in 4-5 years if they did.

ek999

First Grade
If I went to a school to attend a careers day (which my work does every year), met and f**ked one of the students and my employer found out, I have no doubt that I would be sacked. There is no way Okonbur keeps his job and that was before the loss of a $2 million sponsorship

SBD82

Coach
not justifying it or saying it’s anything but a hook up. But.

At my school in year 12 there were loads of girls I knew dating much older guys outside school. However they met, wasn’t unusual.

Another girl who used to work for me was in school and met her future husband, 4/5 years older than her, through a mutual school friend first meeting each other at school. Married for over 10 years now with 2 kids.

Again, so what if the they genuinely liked each other.. and ended up in a strong, long term relationship..

I wonder what would happen now..

And how it would be looked on in 4-5 years if they did.
The difference, and I think it is a very important one, is that the players were at the school in a professional capacity, which creates a power imbalance.

This is why special provisions have been enacted in NSW that the age of consent is lifted to 18 when dealing with a relationship involving teachers, youth workers and other similar professions.

Having worked in these environments in a professional capacity, I can tell you that there is interest from young women. It happens. You are in a position of authority, which can be seen as attractive. But it is not an equal relationship.

It’s not hard to set boundaries in your professional life and seek out partners who you meet on an even footing.

MilkShark

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/86fc7280ddcb372ccc97795a9158f28b

CHN might be alright. Apparently met the girl at her after school job. Probably get a Joel Clinton style fine.

Okunbor on the other hand might be in trouble. There might be a question of whether this actually breaches the NRL code of conduct. I'm sure there will be pressure to fit in into one of the provisions, but for me I think its not an easy fit.Certainly its a breach of the bulldog's team instruction.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/community/pdfs/code-of-conduct-2020.pdf
They're as bad as each other in my opinion.

The game looks bad because of both of them, the club looks bad because of both of them, they lost 2 mill sponsorship because of both of them.

The difference, and I think it is a very important one, is that the players were at the school in a professional capacity, which creates a power imbalance.

This is why special provisions have been enacted in NSW that the age of consent is lifted to 18 when dealing with a relationship involving teachers, youth workers and other similar professions.

Having worked in these environments in a professional capacity, I can tell you that there is interest from young women. It happens. You are in a position of authority, which can be seen as attractive. But it is not an equal relationship.

It’s not hard to set boundaries in your professional life and seek out partners who you meet on an even footing.

mate I hear you, and agree..

But to my question...

SBD82

Coach
mate I hear you, and agree..

But to my question...
If they developed a long term relationship I would still question the same power imbalances. Maybe that power imbalance would change over time, maybe not, but since the start of relationships usually set the tone for the long term nature of it, I don’t think the two are separable.

The other examples that you gave appear to have started without these issues.

Latest posts