What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

seanoff

Juniors
I wonder why there isnt a full stand at the end? Looks a great stadium and with a roof!
No whinging about the rain :)
Its a common design trope. Adelaide and Metricon in Australia. In the NFL. Phoenix, Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Minneapolis etc. Aviva in Dublin. Etc etc.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Not a stadium, but the Titans are building a club. Not sure if mentioned or the right thread.

http://www.mygc.com.au/titans-confirm-oxenford-leagues-club-development/

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/12/04/titans-oxenford-community-club/

I believe here

Map

Silly spot really if they want to add to the gameday experience as well. There would have had to be options right near the station at Robina. Which would have meant that people could enjoy a drink at the club. And it would be used all year around. Would have had great exposure. At Oxenford, you really need to be going there and there is no connection to the train line, so that rules out parking at the club and catching the train in.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Unlikely to be a home base for anyone anytime soon, but Christchurch has finally had funding approved for a new stadium. 25,000 seats and a clear roof.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/119944757/crown-approves-christchurch-stadium-funding

1583170125089.jpg

A Kiwi work mate of mine is always talking about how Christchurch would be a way better idea than Wellington. Lock in the Canterbury Bulldogs now. They can be relocated in time for the 2023 season to help boost the broadcast $$$ from NZ ;)

dogz08

First Grade
A Kiwi work mate of mine is always talking about how Christchurch would be a way better idea than Wellington. Lock in the Canterbury Bulldogs now. They can be relocated in time for the 2023 season to help boost the broadcast $$$ from NZ ;)

What's the school situation like over there?

GAZF

First Grade
New NQ stadium is amazing. Everyone who has been a part of it, should he commended.
Comments like this should be in the current stadiums thread.

Crazy circumstances surrounding it's opening night, but glad to see it's gone ahead. Look forward to getting up there for a game.

sempmrh

Juniors
New stadium is unreal. Hopefully the fans get to enjoy it beyond this week - and hopefully I’ll still get a chance to head up when Storm play the Cowboys in round six. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Saint Doc

Coach
Looked amazing.

still remember Thurston asking for a stadium in his victory speech after 2015 grand final. Kinda weird that it actually happened!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
@beave - did you get a chance to wander the stadium and find the really good but also any silly things?

The stadium is really cool, usually I like just the standard rectangle box like Suncorp, Bankwest and Robina. They’ve done well.

beave

Coach
@beave - did you get a chance to wander the stadium and find the really good but also any silly things?

The stadium is really cool, usually I like just the standard rectangle box like Suncorp, Bankwest and Robina. They’ve done well.

yeah I had a wander, it’s light years ahead of the old one. The toilets are under the stadium and are absolutely massive, I can’t see there ever needing to be a wait to take a leak.

You can see the field from the concourse when you’re getting a drink or a feed due to the elevated 2nd tier. The northern open end is really good. Big areas at the top of that end to stand and watch the game and a huge bar behind the scoreboard.

There was a massive line up for beers on the eastern side all night and will be the focus of the whinges on social media, they’ll tweak their processes and get better at it.

There’s a few permanent merch buildings tucked away here and there around the joint which is nice as feels a lot more professional than having a tent or caravan selling shirts like at the old joint.

All in all it’s a fantastic stadium. I don’t live in Tvl anymore so i’m
not used to the humidity but I was drenched in sweat last night. The open end, if they’d fully enclosed the northern end, it would be unbearable imo for everyone in the crowd and on the field. I’m like you, i really like symmetry and ‘clean’ stadium designs but that northern open end gives the roof a chance to have some deviation in design, when you are walking towards it from a distance, the downward sweep of the roof on the eastern side looks cool and the fact you can also get a good view into it from the external is really nice.

It’s next level to Robina, you can see where the extra money was spent on this one, Robina is good but has that Ikea ‘flat pack’ feel about it, whereas this one you can tell there’s been a generational improvement in design.

The area around the stadium was a hive of activity before and after the game. Palmer st was a pretty popular dining area a few years ago and has suffered the same fate recently like a lot of Tvl where it’s pretty dead and a few places have closed down. xxxx opened a brewery on that street late last year ‘Tiny Mountain’ (taking the piss out of Castle Hill in the middle of the CBD) and my mates said the beer was pretty good. All the pubs and eatery’s looked busy as we were walking to and from the game so the stadium is already having its effect. The old one was way out in the suburbs and only had Brothers Leagues club next door so dining options before and after the game were very limited. The whole reason the site was picked was to try and revitalise the CBD and fingers crossed it does this but the signs were pretty positive last night already.

Once the current state of the world calms its tits, I highly recommend people come up to visit when their team is playing the Cowbs. There is a plethora of hotels within walking distance of the stadium, the weather is superb from mid april til September so it’s a good escape from the cold in the south.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It is pretty amazing to think how far stadiums have come i the last 10 years!!!!

New stands in Newcastle and Wollongong.

New stadiums in Melbourne, Parra and Townsville.

New stadiums on their way for SFS and ANZ.

Did I miss any?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And it looks like we have almost solved the Sydney situation....

SFS - Roosters, Dragons (big games)
ANZ - Dogs, Rabbits
WSW - Eels, Tiger (hopefully they ditch LO and commit to here and the SW)

All that is left is fixing up:
Penrith - maybe they can get funding as a regional stadium
Sharks - looking forward to their development fixing up their stadium
SEagles - i dunno, Gosford?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
yeah I had a wander, it’s light years ahead of the old one. The toilets are under the stadium and are absolutely massive, I can’t see there ever needing to be a wait to take a leak.

You can see the field from the concourse when you’re getting a drink or a feed due to the elevated 2nd tier. The northern open end is really good. Big areas at the top of that end to stand and watch the game and a huge bar behind the scoreboard.

There was a massive line up for beers on the eastern side all night and will be the focus of the whinges on social media, they’ll tweak their processes and get better at it.

There’s a few permanent merch buildings tucked away here and there around the joint which is nice as feels a lot more professional than having a tent or caravan selling shirts like at the old joint.

All in all it’s a fantastic stadium. I don’t live in Tvl anymore so i’m
not used to the humidity but I was drenched in sweat last night. The open end, if they’d fully enclosed the northern end, it would be unbearable imo for everyone in the crowd and on the field. I’m like you, i really like symmetry and ‘clean’ stadium designs but that northern open end gives the roof a chance to have some deviation in design, when you are walking towards it from a distance, the downward sweep of the roof on the eastern side looks cool and the fact you can also get a good view into it from the external is really nice.

It’s next level to Robina, you can see where the extra money was spent on this one, Robina is good but has that Ikea ‘flat pack’ feel about it, whereas this one you can tell there’s been a generational improvement in design.

The area around the stadium was a hive of activity before and after the game. Palmer st was a pretty popular dining area a few years ago and has suffered the same fate recently like a lot of Tvl where it’s pretty dead and a few places have closed down. xxxx opened a brewery on that street late last year ‘Tiny Mountain’ (taking the piss out of Castle Hill in the middle of the CBD) and my mates said the beer was pretty good. All the pubs and eatery’s looked busy as we were walking to and from the game so the stadium is already having its effect. The old one was way out in the suburbs and only had Brothers Leagues club next door so dining options before and after the game were very limited. The whole reason the site was picked was to try and revitalise the CBD and fingers crossed it does this but the signs were pretty positive last night already.

Once the current state of the world calms its tits, I highly recommend people come up to visit when their team is playing the Cowbs. There is a plethora of hotels within walking distance of the stadium, the weather is superb from mid april til September so it’s a good escape from the cold in the south.

Good news, I can't wait to get there.

Design does make sense when considering patron comfort too. I'll never forget round one v Bunnies in 2015 at Suncorp - I was about to pass out from the humidity.

Agree, Robina is definitely gives off IKEA vibes from the outside, but I am a fan of it when inside. Robina location is a total disaster and it sounds like TVL got it right.

Zadar

Juniors
It is pretty amazing to think how far stadiums have come i the last 10 years!!!!

New stands in Newcastle and Wollongong.

New stadiums in Melbourne, Parra and Townsville.

New stadiums on their way for SFS and ANZ.

Did I miss any?

brookie got some nice new outdoor umbrellas and plastic chair sets, that nice dark green colour too, so it doesn’t detract from the nice splintered wooden seats on the hill side.