What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your pass mark for 2020

Where will we finish in 2020

• 1-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 7-8

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Not in the top 8

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Top 4

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Top 6

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Top 8

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Tiger05

First Grade
On the abc radio this morning, a health expert suggested we are pretty close to cure/vaccine.

Going to trials soon in concert with u.s scientists.

We have one of the best resourced pandemic scientific efforts in the world here.

Here is the thing though. If you look at Italy it's a mess because the amount of people that have been infected and I assume have it bad are putting too much of a drain on hospital facilities.

I can't see a cure/vaccine helping that quickly. Just as a note too the flu vaccine isn't anywhere near a 100% success rate. I think the figures are somewhere between an effectiveness rate of 20%-60% and that is stopping people going to the doctor for help.

I'm not a drama queen and I don't think this is that bad for the vast majority of people but I also think we should be taking actions to stop this spreading. I think the NRL may have to play without crowds.

Das Hassler

Bench
With the NBA, quite possibly the largest sporting brand in the world coming to a halt, this is starting to sound like it might be reality. Australia are usually quite sheepish when it comes to whatever the US does aswell

Yep..they've suspended the lot after one player tests positive....that's pretty much put the line in the sand.

Rhyno

First Grade
Obviously we can only guess if Stefano is any good..3 things 1 the price we paid..Ive read countless times $800 k so correct me if Im wrong I’d hate to stuff up twice in 24 hours. He was on I think $70 k at the time and I suppose Parra thought they could use and abuse him 2 They were really pissed off that we got got him and it was a night raid they had no idea it was happening until it was too late 3 They won’t let him go despite it being the gentlemanly thing to do after we let them have Matteson early
Stefano is playing on the bench this week in Canterbury cup I think that shows how “good” he is can’t even make the starting side in Canterbury cup

Tiger05

First Grade
Stefano is playing on the bench this week in Canterbury cup I think that shows how “good” he is can’t even make the starting side in Canterbury cup

Let's wait and see. Interestingly your stupid club refuse to release him.

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep..they've suspended the lot after one player tests positive....that's pretty much put the line in the sand.

That is going to happen here. Tom hanks and his wife appear to have picked it up here. People are going to get it. My take is NRL players should play. It's not that bad for the majority of people. I'd expect NRL players not to be in a demographic that are high risk for suffering from this virus. My opinion though means jack shit.

Das Hassler

Bench
That is going to happen here. Tom hanks and his wife appear to have picked it up here. People are going to get it. My take is NRL players should play. It's not that bad for the majority of people. I'd expect NRL players not to be in a demographic that are high risk for suffering from this virus. My opinion though means jack shit.

And if they contract it and pass it on to more vulnerable people? Its not just about them. I tick most of the hi risk boxes...mid sixties..lifelong asthmatic and in hospital right now awaiting heart work and...have just been released from isolation awaiting CV results after contracting a respiritory infection ptior to coming in ...the results took a while to come and it was no fun wondering about it while i was waiting.
05....read up on the issue of transmission....NRL players socialize as much as anyone. ..think it through

The unknown

Juniors

Actually quite the opposite, professional athletes would be more prone than most other people considering the travel load and physical contact week in week out.

They’ve already started lowering fan interaction etc to minimise the spreading so it’s only the beginning unfortunately

the transmission rate just normally is that one person will infect 2 and each of them will infect 2 etc. That’s just normal life.

But the big crowds etc give the virus massive overs.

That kid at the kiosk, she’s going to serving 100s of people at half time and if she’s got it ( and doesn’t know it) that’s a massive blow to containment.

The security guy is going to meeting and greeting people at the close range.

The bathrooms get packed at half time etc.

You walk past hundreds of folk to get to your seat, many within breathing distance, easy.

The nrl is just irresponsible and wrong to hold these games at the start of a pandemic.

2-3 percent of folk are dying. Not all are old and feeble. Most, but not every case. It’s a bit like Russian roulette.

Overseas they are putting the dollars and aggro aside for public and player safety. Here we say “ everything possible is being done” but regardless of liberal and labour government, it’s rubbish.

The government should order the big crowd sports to shut down until the crisis is over.

The nrl will be found out. I’m dissapointed in them. Risk their fans and players health and safety. Small chance yes, but still there.

In my heart, I want the games on for sure, I ducking love this game, but we just shouldn’t be risking it.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
And if they contract it and pass it on to more vulnerable people? Its not just about them. I tick most of the hi risk boxes...mid sixties..lifelong asthmatic and in hospital right now awaiting heart work and...have just been released from isolation awaiting CV results after contracting a respiritory infection ptior to coming in ...the results took a while to come and it was no fun wondering about it while i was waiting.
05....read up on the issue of transmission....NRL players socialize as much as anyone. ..think it through

I get it. I'm stressing out about this situation and my wife has gone bonkers. You are also 100% correct. I'm not worried about getting it myself but I am extremely worried about giving it to my parents. I think any person that has it has to self-isolate but this is so hard. You saw Tom Hanks and his wife with it out getting photos with fans and even performing. You don't know that you have it because it's not that bad. Then it spreads so quickly and lots of people will get extremely sick and a bunch of people will die.

The problem in my opinion is that the government should probably make everyone self-isolate for a month or two because this thing spreads so fast. I've been discussing with my wife what we can do but unless society as a whole takes action you can't really do anything.

I'm worried we get a situation like Italy where because so many people get sick the hospital system can't handle it. I'm not worried about running out of food or toilet paper or anything like that.

Tiger05

First Grade
Actually quite the opposite, professional athletes would be more prone than most other people considering the travel load and physical contact week in week out.

They’ve already started lowering fan interaction etc to minimise the spreading so it’s only the beginning unfortunately

Two different things. We are all vulnerable to getting this. I doubt rugby league players are more vulnerable than for instance health care workers. I reckon I'm vulnerable as well. I go to the gym and wrestle all the time. So does my son. I have 3 kids. There are a lot of potential infection points. Anyone can get this thing. Tom Hanks and his wife got it presumably in Australia.

My point is that NRL players will probably survive being infected like the vast majority of people. Some younger people may die though. We all need to be careful. If a player gets it then a lot of people associated with that player will also have to self-isolate. It could be a very unstructured season.

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
Two different things. We are all vulnerable to getting this. I doubt rugby league players are more vulnerable than for instance health care workers. I reckon I'm vulnerable as well. I go to the gym and wrestle all the time. So does my son. I have 3 kids. There are a lot of potential infection points. Anyone can get this thing. Tom Hanks and his wife got it presumably in Australia.

My point is that NRL players will probably survive being infected like the vast majority of people. Some younger people may die though. We all need to be careful. If a player gets it then a lot of people associated with that player will also have to self-isolate. It could be a very unstructured season.

My mistake, more likely* rather than prone. NRL players meet and greet hundreds of fans weekly plus the few thousands they get at a game each week. At this point of the outbreak there is probably still hundreds of unidentified cases and you could be next in the firing line. ATM it’s like Chinese whispers in the form of a virus

Tiger05

First Grade
My mistake, more likely* rather than prone. NRL players meet and greet hundreds of fans weekly plus the few thousands they get at a game each week. At this point of the outbreak there is probably still hundreds of unidentified cases and you could be next in the firing line. ATM it’s like Chinese whispers in the form of a virus

I don't believe that NRL players are any more prone than any other member of society and potentially less prone assuming they aren't being stupid.

You are though right in that there are probably 100's of unidentified cases and those people mightn't even know and they may be spreading it right now.

The unknown

Juniors
I don't believe that NRL players are any more prone than any other member of society and potentially less prone assuming they aren't being stupid.

You are though right in that there are probably 100's of unidentified cases and those people mightn't even know and they may be spreading it right now.

You don’t reckon they interact with more of the general public than the average joe though? That was my point

The time of quarantine was for weeks ago when it was minimal. It’s too late to stop the spread completely now when you have places like Bega and other rural Australian towns with confirmed cases, that pretty much tells me this virus is everywhere

Last edited:
The nrl issued a command this morning, players not to associate with fans.

But us fans and beloved stadium workers are free to mingle with each other.

The clubs of course need income from gate receipts.

It’s an impossible season.

WA Tiger

Bench
That’s no good mate..hence the interest and knowledge of course ...Hope ure ok ...we value your input

Long overdue.

Das is locked up and i have a sister waiting for results due to an encounter at work.

I am already recruited as a helper of her affairs if she has it and I work all week and into weekends as it is.

I’m not whinging ( so far as I know, I am ok) but it’s going to mean other people will have to step up with kids etc while I cover and so forth, so their plans are all in a hiatus.

It’s a full on flow on effect. But compared to Das, I’m laughing ( for the moment anyway).

Let’s hope and pray everyone at risk or has it pulls through.

Latest posts