What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 2020 Eels v Dogs BankWest Stadium - Game Day Thread

hindy111

Post Whore
I was at the game. It was boring.
DWZ looked dangerous but woefull ball handling.
Moses was garbage in his control and kicking game. D.Brown wasn't noticed.
Lane looked a little dangerous and SO did Jnr. Nothing else was doing.

Way I saw the game. Errors and lack of skill by both sides. Grinding and slow game.
I feel like we lacked some pace. Was anyone dreadfull? No but at sametime nobody stood out. Just a dour game.

I reckon the whole corona virus this had players a bit off. The crowd was about 6,000 short from it and it's been all we hear about the last 48hrs. NBA was suspended amongst some huge shit going down today. It's now on all our minds even if you deny it. People are anxious

T-Boon

Coach
I watched the game from a great angle in the northern stand. There are no line breaks to be had in the game anymore. No gaps. I doubt Andrew Johns would put a player in a whole anymore. Is there such a thing as an attack coach? Like, there are defensive coaches right?

hindy111

Post Whore
I watched the game from a great angle in the northern stand. There are no line breaks to be had in the game anymore. No gaps. I doubt Andrew Johns would put a player in a whole anymore. Is there such a thing as an attack coach? Like, there are defensive coaches right?

Agree. That was boring. And the only try was garbage.
Defenders are becoming to good and exploit rules to well. Hold them down and cop a penalty.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Id suggest we have the best defensive 6&7 in the comp. Drowns defence is sublime and Moses is now very good.
A real slug fest but a wins a win.
3. Gutho
2. Mahoney
1. Lane.
Defence was the best I've witnessed from a Parramatta Team for a very long time. Even our technique looked much improved.
Why pick a player,Taka and not use him? Stone, Alvaro or Kaufusi would have been far handier.
Evans dissapointed me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why pick a player,Taka and not use him?
It's like asking why wear a seatbelt if you're not going to have a crash.

We didn't use him because we didn't have any injuries requiring him to replace a better player, and the game was too close to give him a run for shiggles.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

We didn't use him because we didn't have any injuries requiring him to replace a better player, and the game was too close to give him a run for shiggles.
Plus Taka was able to fill up the esky with beers before full time, win win.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yeah in hindsight It's pretty easy to see why Taka got no game time, he's not a player you really want in what turned out to be a defensive slug fest.

I know if he's not used it seems like a waste of a bench spot, but just about every team list this year will carry a replacement on the bench that covers you in the case of losing an outside back to HIA or injury.

That he wasn't needed through the forward rotation is a plus, it just means those guys were fit enough to do extra minutes, and we didn't look all that fatigued as a unit at any point in the game, despite how often we managed to turn attack into defence with poor handling. We were still making decent first up contact in the eightieth minute.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

OK, so no such thing as rotation ? I must have missed the memo that says no14s are only there for injuries

yeh, the game was too close to bring on an attacking player

good one Pou, now try and put some sort of spin in your reply

Delboy

First Grade
Is the team that good or are people overhyping two rookies in Mahoney had D.Brown.
Guth is solid but hardly elite.
Sure you can find better players in the Riff team, the Dogs are possibly the most difficult team to play open style footy.
They lay in the ruck, prepared to test the 10 metres, hold and pull in every play the ball and basically slow the game at every opportunity.
First game of the year against a team like the Dogs who had early season energy. Not a game to lay blame, previously we would have lost and some would pile on that we poor in defensive struggles.
On to next week, blame a different player or the coach , which we have all done, sleep and repeat.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
First time I have even seen 2 Eels players leading the NRL point scoring.

Latest posts