What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 2020 Eels v Dogs BankWest Stadium - Game Day Thread

TheRam

Coach
The way I see last nights game is we didn't really learn anything much at all. The dogs are a very bog average side attack wise and have no real strike players other then their fullback. Imagine if we played a team with 3 or 4 real strike players in the team, like the Cowboys, Canberra or even Penrith.

On that performance we would of struggled big time and I would dare say once they opened us up a few times and scored once or twice, we would of seen the doubt come back in our defensive structures and we would have fallen apart.

The positive though is that we did play the dogs, who are a very good defensive team but don't have those strike players or the game managers at this point in their evolution to punish us brutally. So we hung in their, and hung in there and eventually we got the rub of the green just enough to win the game, while they couldn't counter to snatch it back from us.

This may work to our advantage in the long run, with our players, taking some confidence in our defensive abilities and structures and put up more of a fight even with better attacking teams during the season. After all, a huge part of defense is a mental thing. But I have my doubts, so that is why I feel that nothing major was learnt by watching that game defense wise.

On another point, why the hell do we not pressure the oppositions kicker on the last tackle(clearing kicks or bombs)? What the hell are we thinking and doing out there? Their number one attacking ploy was the bomb and at no stage did we make life difficult and put him off his rhythm. Lewis could have read War and Peace out there before he kicked. Yet they pressured us almost on every kick and put Moses off his rhythm all game to the extent of even receiving a charge down. Such a simple, and vital 1%er, yet no one is up to it still.

It looked like a battle for the spoon.

Worst nrl opening game in living memory.

I blame the dogs for recruiting complete brain dead tools whose careers are all but over.

Stefano had a massive game.

There were three highlights;

a) the 30 metre pass close to half time that sent Gutho over in the corner untouched.

b) His chip and regather to offload to Brown to Sivo for that try under the post.

c) his benching instead of playing first grade with the Tigers, because the Eels are pissed off that he wants to play for us.

Free steff, held against his will by the club of evil and hubris.

When is poor sivo being extradited? Human chain around the airliner I hope lads.

lol matterson is a dud!

Soto

Bench
The way I see last nights game is we didn't really learn anything much at all. The dogs are a very bog average side attack wise and have no real strike players other then their fullback. Imagine if we played a team with 3 or 4 real strike players in the team, like the Cowboys, Canberra or even Penrith.

On that performance we would of struggled big time and I would dare say once they opened us up a few times and scored once or twice, we would of seen the doubt come back in our defensive structures and we would have fallen apart.

The positive though is that we did play the dogs, who are a very good defensive team but don't have those strike players or the game managers at this point in their evolution to punish us brutally. So we hung in their, and hung in there and eventually we got the rub of the green just enough to win the game, while they couldn't counter to snatch it back from us.

This may work to our advantage in the long run, with our players, taking some confidence in our defensive abilities and structures and put up more of a fight even with better attacking teams during the season. After all, a huge part of defense is a mental thing. But I have my doubts, so that is why I feel that nothing major was learnt by watching that game defense wise.

On another point, why the hell do we not pressure the oppositions kicker on the last tackle(clearing kicks or bombs)? What the hell are we thinking and doing out there? Their number one attacking ploy was the bomb and at no stage did we make life difficult and put him off his rhythm. Lewis could have read War and Peace out there before he kicked. Yet they pressured us almost on every kick and put Moses off his rhythm all game to the extent of even receiving a charge down. Such a simple, and vital 1%er, yet no one is up to it still.
Agree about no pressure on the kicker. Lewis made a cup of tea, butterred his toast and then kicked the ball. Moses was harrassed all night.
Re: Parra's attack, Interesting hearing Arthur pre-season and reading Joey Johns comments as well about parra being more patient and less flamboyant and earning the right to attack.
I hope we don't try and put the ball under the arm and not throw it around a bit. I like it when we attack from any part of the field if the situation warrants it.
Dogs are a gritty, grubby, boring team who will try and win games by scoring a try and defending..playing a grinding game against them plays into their hands..next time we play them we need to play up tempo. Dont let them settle into a rythym..a few early kicks to stop their up and in rushing defence and more dummy half runs.

T-Boon

Coach
I think Joey should get sacked. He is our attack coach right?
Someone in the coaching staff needs to be accountable for how crap our attack is this year.
If Joey isn't responsible for this what is he responsible for?
Like in the NFL and college football there are offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators and they basically go head to head. If the offense stinks the offensive coordinator wears all the criticism. If the defense stinks the defensive coordinator wears the heat.
Make Joey front the media after a game answer questions. Make him at least explain why there is no creativity. Make them say its because of wrestling.

strider

Post Whore
Someone in the coaching staff needs to be accountable for how crap our attack is this year.
Like in the NFL and college football there are offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators and they basically go head to head. If the offense stinks the offensive coordinator wears all the criticism. If the defense stinks the defensive coordinator wears the heat.
Make Joey front the media after a game answer questions. Make him at least explain why there is no creativity. Make them say its because of wrestling.
he is only a half coach

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Bulldogs defensive coach Chris Sandow is getting paid more than him.

Latest posts