What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. North Queensland Cowboys

MrSticky94

Juniors
Wow, Bennett is really having a long lasting legacy on the Broncs with the signings he made.

900K a season for Bird. Feel very sorry for the fella but that cash will ease thr pain.

At least he secured Haas for you guys.
Hate to tell you but Bennett was NEVER in charge of these contracts. Blame can go to White, Lockyer and Nolan for this mess. I'm sick of seeing everyone blaming Bennett when he is no longer here and did not have a say in any of the contracts especially regarding Boyd, Bird, Kahu etc. Coaches only really get a small say in who stays and goes kind of thing. If anything, the board should be scrutinised more for the shit they have done over the years.

Spot On

Coach
Hate to tell you but Bennett was NEVER in charge of these contracts. Blame can go to White, Lockyer and Nolan for this mess. I'm sick of seeing everyone blaming Bennett when he is no longer here and did not have a say in any of the contracts especially regarding Boyd, Bird, Kahu etc. Coaches only really get a small say in who stays and goes kind of thing. If anything, the board should be scrutinised more for the shit they have done over the years.

Baloney. Bennett got exactly what HE wanted.

Nerd

Bench
C'mon of course Bennett had a hand in signing his adopted son to a long term well paying contract despite Boyd being at the end of his career.

Nerd

Bench
Great game. What a difference an organising halfback makes. First game of the season but if we can cut out some of those silly errors we will be in the 8 somewhere. Oates looked off with the fairies most of the game with some good runs in the middle but also a few errors.

Reactions: gUt

League guru

Juniors
Cheapshooter TPG is penalised for a tackle on O'Neill in the first 5 minutes. Subsequently O'Neill fails a HIA and is gone for the whole game. Seems only fair that once O'Neill was ruled out, TPG should have subsequently been ruled out. I am sure all fair minded Bronco supporters would agree

Bronco18

Juniors
Cheapshooter TPG is penalised for a tackle on O'Neill in the first 5 minutes. Subsequently O'Neill fails a HIA and is gone for the whole game. Seems only fair that once O'Neill was ruled out, TPG should have subsequently been ruled out. I am sure all fair minded Bronco supporters would agree

Ah yes, the old make a new rule up for the Broncos trick

League guru

Juniors
Ah yes, the old make a new rule up for the Broncos trick
No, just don't see why a team should suffer, when a player is taken out by an illegal tackle. TPG is a habitual Cheapshooter. Be a different story if you had lost someone like Croft through a similar incident. Your right they do have different rules for the Broncos.

Bronco18

Juniors
Cheap and high no doubt, and he'll be suspended for it (as he should). The ref had an opportunity to sin bin TPJ right then and there, as they'd done last season against the Titans, but he didn't take it.

A referee reversing his decision down the track would open up a whole new can of worms, particularly as coaches will exploit opportunities to rule out an opponent's key player. And yes, it hasn't happened before and would be an entirely new rule.

Someone else who should come under scrutiny though is the Cowboys medical staff, who inexplicably let O'Neill play on for another few minutes despite copping a hit to the head and looking groggy on the ground. In fairness, most clubs will do this, but if you're serious about concussions, surely that was enough evidence to go on to warrant an immediate HIA.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I thought Turpin was your best.

Got a bad wrap playing out of position (circumstance).

Very good young hooker, made some really important tackles and provided punch up the middle.

He is a keeper.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well that was a pleasant surprise. We looked good in attack and most of the team played well. Boyd didn't do anything terrible which was nice. Oates looks out of sorts. I think give him a few more weeks as his pre-season was massively interrupted. I expect him to bounce back, but if he doesn't, he should be looking over his shoulder.

The victory had a bit of an empty feeling when we let them get back in the game. Also they scored some really easy tries, a couple of simple shifts out wide seem to get on the outside of our defence pretty easily. Hopefully we can fix it up.

gUt

Coach
As noted elsewhere I can't see what was wrong with TPJ's hit on O'Neil. Didn't see an angle where it hit him high, only one angle where it appeared that way. Wasn't late either, O'Neil wasn't held. Granted all TPJ had to do was put a hand on him to effect the tackle but this isn't touch footy. Suspended on reputation.

blue bags

First Grade
As noted elsewhere I can't see what was wrong with TPJ's hit on O'Neil. Didn't see an angle where it hit him high, only one angle where it appeared that way. Wasn't late either, O'Neil wasn't held. Granted all TPJ had to do was put a hand on him to effect the tackle but this isn't touch footy. Suspended on reputation.

yes i agree with most , but at the same time , its not UFC either, there is a DUTY OF CARE in our game
. the judiciary commission are very thorough in keeping records. ask some roosters, rabbits, players from the past

Big Pete

Referee
I've come around on the Pangai Jr charge. Originally I thought he could have made a case around the point of contact, but then I looked into it and there's no difference between a head high dangerous contact and just a regular dangerous contact grade 2 charge. It's an area the NRL want to stamp out of the game and it just wasn't a good look from Tevita.

What makes it difficult to swallow from Pangai Jr's case is that he's already copped the brunt of a very tough suspension. I can see arguments either side, but the Maloney suspension was far from clear cut and he paid dearly for it.

Big Pete

Referee
It was a good result for the Brisbane Broncos, but I'm not getting too carried away.

I was pretty disappointed with the Cowboys effort. They had it all to play for and they couldn't even get the opening kick-off right. The injury to O'Neil only made things worse for their right edge and Brisbane to their credit took full advantage.

The positive sign for the Broncos is the composure Brodie Croft played with. In years gone by, the Broncos have always struggled on capitilising on breaks and if a player doesn't score through individual brilliance they had a tendancy to turn the ball over cheaply. What I liked about Croft's performance is that he'd just put himself into position for the next play and he wasn't afraid to pop up on other sides of the field.

I also thought Carrigan played well at 13. It was one of the Broncos biggest issues last year and once the Matt Gillett experiment failed, they were lost at sea. What I liked about Carrigan was his line speed and his contact in the tackle. He wasn't just padding his stats out with those loose goosey hold tackles, he was actually making old school tackles which are golden if you can pull them off.

Still a few concerns in the squad. The back three still can't defuse kicks and they let the Cowboys back into the game far too easily. Defensively they got bent over too easily and were conceding far too many metres. That left edge in particular with Milford and Boyd looked very worrying and I think the Rabbitohs could have a field day if they can give Jimmy some good ball.

Otherwise it's one of those games I'm going to remember for that brilliant effort from Fifita. I can't remember a second rower producing a run like that since Tallis against the Panthers in 02. Just an unbelievable effort and it's going to be the first thing I think about in 5-10-30 years time when I look back on this game.

Haas once again was unreal and is challenging Lazarus as the greatest prop forward in club history (sorry Webby and Bulla). 80 minutes, 200m+, coming up with some pretty important defensive plays he's a machine.

When you have those type of players, they can just inspire the team on their own and it doesn't matter how well the opposition is travelling, they'll see the team through. I think there was an element of that, an element of the Cowboys being off their game and some genuine improvement in the team.