What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Surely

Post Whore
Text book Dunning- Kruger trapped inside the Rupert Murdoch echo chamber. Not a good look buddy. When debating the intellectually vacuous slander often becomes the tool of the loser rendering it farcical, however I'll give it a shot. :rolleyes:

For most healthy people this is of no great concern, unless you have underlying health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes - facts as they are known thus far. Some people may not even show symptoms at all.

If you are old this is a very serious concern for you.- facts as they are known thus far. Overall fatality numbers are skewed somewhat due to age factors and other circumstances.

To put this virus in perspective it is not something to panic over, it is not an existential threat to humanity. Life will go on and you'll be able to continue to watch your intellectually stimulating nightly reality TV program, so calm down.

Covid -19 is like singing under the dappled light of a gum tree at the church BBQ compared to what's just around the corner. Retreating glaciers and thawing permafrost are not only releasing vast deposits of methane but also pathogens beyond your level of critical thinking....Covid -19 will barely rate a mention.

Scientific evidence suggests that within 30 years the real shit hits the proverbial. ....and here you are pontificating over a flu? ....pass me the kleenex.

If you think plebs panic over bog roll just wait until crops fail and the world fish stocks completely collapse ( est 30 yrs ) .....then ya gonna see some panic.....then ya gonna see some fatalities on a biblical scale.

This is nothing more than a dry run for the very serious shit to come. So sit back, grab the popcorn ( after you've washed your hands of course ) and enjoy the freak show. You've got a front row seat. https://www.academia.edu/37620051/What_Lies_Beneath_The_understatement_of_existential_climate_risk

A flu

Italy has a mortality rate of 7% because their hospitals are overun, that's about 70 times more lethal than the flu, if you live in a country run by let's say a dictator that enforces lockdown and can have hospitals built in a week then it's probably only 20 times worse than the flu.

However your biggest concern appears to be Rupert, good luck with that.

Valheru

Coach
They've had one already in SuperLeague, its only a matter of time.

Not necessarily.

As of 11AM yesterday (updated figures to come), over 15000 people have been tested in NSW with 92 positive results.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20200313_00.aspx

Each of those cases are itemized (results of some still pending) and the overwhelming majority are people who have travelled recently, been in close contact with other confirmed cases of people who have travelled or are aged care workers etc.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A flu

Italy has a mortality rate of 7% because their hospitals are overun, that's about 70 times more lethal than the flu, if you live in a country run by let's say a dictator that enforces lockdown and can have hospitals built in a week then it's probably only 20 times worse than the flu.

If you don't think News Corp spreading misinformation, stoking fear and panic and generally being a untruthful isn't a problem, you're either not paying attention or in complete denial.

Surely

Post Whore
If you don't think News Corp spreading misinformation, stoking fear and panic and generally being a untruthful isn't a problem, you're either not paying attention or in complete denial.

I really couldn't give a shit what Rupert does or doesn't spread.

Who, there is a pandemic

Morons , yeah but but Rupert

Knight76

Juniors
<Snip> Responses below.

Text book Dunning- Kruger trapped inside the Rupert Murdoch echo chamber. Not a good look buddy. When debating the intellectually vacuous slander often becomes the tool of the loser rendering it farcical, however I'll give it a shot. :rolleyes:

Blah blah blah, meaningless dribble, I'll move on to where you actually make a point.

For most healthy people this is of no great concern, unless you have underlying health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes - facts as they are known thus far. Some people may not even show symptoms at all.

If you are old this is a very serious concern for you.- facts as they are known thus far. Overall fatality numbers are skewed somewhat due to age factors and other circumstances.

And for most healthy people, the flu is of no great concern. Unless you have underlying health conditions etc. If you are old, the flu is a very serious condition. Overall fatality numbers for the flu are skewed somewhat due to age factors and other circumstances.

See, the flaw with the "this is no worse than flu" point, is that the same arguments made against Covid19, also apply to flu.

A) People get covid19 and don't report it as symptoms are mild skewing numbers and overall mortality rate.
- People likewise get flu and never report it, skewing the overall mortality numbers. Did you know the US does not even record or report how many flu cases they get each year? So the 0.01 fatality cases for flu is skewed.

B) Covid19 is only dangerous for old or the already sick, and majority of fatalities come from this group.
- Flu fatalities have a very similar skewing towards the elderly, and already ill. So the fatality numbers are directly comparable. And I honestly don't understand why so many are willing to let this virus spread around and kill the elderly and already sick just because they are young and healthy.

To put this virus in perspective it is not something to panic over, it is not an existential threat to humanity. Life will go on and you'll be able to continue to watch your intellectually stimulating nightly reality TV program, so calm down.

Where have I said there is any need to panic? And I hate reality TV. I don't believe this is a threat to humanity, life will go on for sure, just with a lot less elderly and sick if the world takes your view on this. But thank you for putting this in to perspective for me. Have you informed the rest of the world. The NBA can keep going, NRL, F1 this weekend if your quick can get the race on. Go tell Italians and Chinese etc who have had those old and sick people die that hey, chin up, you still have reality tv!

Covid -19 is like singing under the dappled light of a gum tree at the church BBQ <snipped the dribble>

Again, so the thinking on display here is this is nothing, we shouldn't worry about what this one does or try to reduce the impact because something else, that may be worse, could happen in the future!

Diesel

Referee
If the NZ Govt doesn’t ban non-essential public gatherings or at least, not as quickly as the Australian Govt, could next weekends game in Auckland be the only game played with a crowd?

Grapple

Bench
If the NZ Govt doesn’t ban non-essential public gatherings or at least, not as quickly as the Australian Govt, could next weekends game in Auckland be the only game played with a crowd?

I can't see it happening. GOVT's are moving quickly on this thing, in a weeks time NZ will have more confirmed cases for certain.
I'd like them to play and just have the guys doing the drums echoing around the park. It'd sound great. Likewise just the single guy blowing the horn at Canberra games. lol

Dave's mate

Juniors
I can't see it happening. GOVT's are moving quickly on this thing, in a weeks time NZ will have more confirmed cases for certain.
I'd like them to play and just have the guys doing the drums echoing around the park. It'd sound great. Likewise just the single guy blowing the horn at Canberra games. lol
They have moved ridiculously slowly actually

Xcalibre

Juniors

Covid -19 is like singing under the dappled light of a gum tree at the church BBQ compared to what's just around the corner. Retreating glaciers and thawing permafrost are not only releasing vast deposits of methane but also pathogens beyond your level of critical thinking....Covid -19 will barely rate a mention.

Scientific evidence suggests that within 30 years the real shit hits the proverbial. ....and here you are pontificating over a flu? ....pass me the kleenex.

If you think plebs panic over bog roll just wait until crops fail and the world fish stocks completely collapse ( est 30 yrs ) .....then ya gonna see some panic.....then ya gonna see some fatalities on a biblical scale.

This is nothing more than a dry run for the very serious shit to come. So sit back, grab the popcorn ( after you've washed your hands of course ) and enjoy the freak show. You've got a front row seat. https://www.academia.edu/37620051/What_Lies_Beneath_The_understatement_of_existential_climate_risk

POTY contender right here.

They have moved ridiculously slowly actually

No. Whilst I may not be a supporter of Scott Morrison, he has moved at the right pace as advised by medical experts. I mean if you want chaos, have a look at how Donald Trump has handled it in the US. Unilateral ban on all travel from Europe spiked an economic downturn, has ignored all advice from places like the CDC. Fact is US sports have handled it better than the US Government has.

typicalfan

Coach
A flu

This is pretty much it. When (if) facilities become stretched due to this what will the outcome be? Will this in turn have negative effects on other illnesses due to this? At the moment this is possible and is in addition to the risk of this virus.

Latest posts