What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

snogard6

Juniors
that would be the logical thing, it’s not like companies are closing up so staff don’t have to work together. No reason games can’t continue, I guess if a player does get tested positive then the big problem arises as anyone in contact with them should isolate for two weeks so that wipes out two teams at least. Or you do t like most work places are doing and only isolate if you develop symptoms or test positive. Having said that the incidence is still so low at moment the odds of players getting it are pretty low.
I think suspending the season has more to do with the Warriors at this time, which is fair enough.

Cactus

Juniors
Or you do t like most work places are doing and only isolate if you develop symptoms or test positive. Having said that the incidence is still so low at moment the odds of players getting it are pretty low.

Indeed.

I would have a rather large qualification on Chinas latest report, but IF it was to be believed then we now have some sort of "time window" to identify the infection rate peak. If true, all will come good and its only a matter of time.

Media really sh!t me lately.

snogard6

Juniors
They will take a 4-6 week hiatus and tac the missed games on the end of the season and possibly shorten it by a few rounds.. I think that’s the best solution as members and ticket holders as well as TV get what they have paid for. Assuming the season can continue in 4-6 weeks

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Indeed.

I would have a rather large qualification on Chinas latest report, but IF it was to be believed then we now have some sort of "time window" to identify the infection rate peak. If true, all will come good and its only a matter of time.

Yeah even if we exclude chinas data as unreliable, south Korea has shown the world hope. They are now at the stage where daily recoveries out number new cases.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Indeed.

China brought the power of the state down in a way that wouldn't be acceptable in the West. Its hard to compare. So it's difficult to say if things will proceed like China

nick87

Coach
The NRL is cooked if they think they can hold a whole team hostage in Australia for a unknown time period especially when they will have to shut it all down when a player eventually tests positive.
I'd tell them to get absolutely, totally and completely f**ked. You cant isolate an entire team away from their family. No f**king way im letting my workplace keep me away from my wife and kids just so their wheels can keep turning.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd tell them to get absolutely, totally and completely f**ked. You cant isolate an entire team away from their family. No f**king way im letting my workplace keep me away from my wife and kids just so their wheels can keep turning.

there are literally millions of people around the world who spend long periods away from their families earning a sht load less money to send home than nrl players. I’m sure some very highly paid athletes and their families can manage it for a couple of weeks ffs. Sure not for 6 months but it seems we are looking at a likely 4-6 week period.

Cactus

Juniors

Calm down. Except for the guy whos 1st kid is imminent, maybe the rest of the team need a break away so to speak.

Biatches be crazy some times.

Pommy

Coach
They will take a 4-6 week hiatus and tack the missed games on the end of the season and possibly shorten it by a few rounds.. I think that’s the best solution as members and ticket holders as well as TV get what they have paid for. Assuming the season can continue in 4-6 weeks

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe the season will continue in 4-6 weeks, we’re heading in to the flu season whilst the northern hemisphere heads out of it.

Springs09

Juniors
China brought the power of the state down in a way that wouldn't be acceptable in the West. Its hard to compare. So it's difficult to say if things will proceed like China

Well it's not, things won't proceed like China. Can't get away with that shit here. Worst case scenario things proceed like Italy.

You can't force them no, but Warriors have the option to do that, and if they choose not to, is it fair on all the other teams to suspend the whole season for 2 months or so?

nick87

Coach
there are literally millions of people around the world who spend long periods away from their families earning a sht load less money to send home than nrl players. I’m sure some very highly paid athletes and their families can manage it for a couple of weeks ffs. Sure not for 6 months but it seems we are looking at a likely 4-6 week period.

Yeah, that's great, that's not what these NRL players signed up for. There is nothing in their contracts that say the code is allowed to quarantine from their family for any period of time, least of all a significant period.
You dont get to just take over their lives because you want to watch some footy. These guys have responsbilities outside of their job, and how selfish would have to be to think your right to watch a sport trumps those responsibilities

If i were a warriors player, id be heading home tonight to my family and NRL and club be damned. They'd have no grounds to sack you and if they tried it would be a PR DISASTER for them. If i was single with no kids, yeah i wouldnt give much of a shit... but if i had kids, no chance.

wibble

Bench
The NRL and local governments are still talking like it will blow over now a few token things have been done. It won't.

People here are still not convinced there is much of a threat and call some of the media "alarmist".

Things have already changed rapidly here in two days, so there is still hope they will further change, and we won't be like Italy (or Spain in a week).

The NRL season will be severely disrupted. If that is the biggest thing you have to worry about this year you are very lucky.

The season may run without crowds, even with NZ Warriors stuck here for a week or two, for a little while. I can imagine the NRL redoing the draw so that they get a bunch of away matches early, and they can go back home in a month or two when it "all blows over". But it won't blow over, any time soon.

South Korea and Japan, and even China do give us hope. We won't have months of peak Italy and Iran if we get social distancing right, very soon (like, this week, or as I predict, next week). But the hope they give us is not of a smooth experience where we can just go back to watching footy. We will be stuck inside for months. There will not be public things at all. You will be allowed to go to the shops and chemists, and that is about all.

Hopefully that is how we will live for the next few months. Because the alternative is the horror that is Italy (they too, were laughing at coronavirus and saying it was a hoax, and overblown, just 3 weeks ago. Two weeks ago they tried some soft social distancing measures. Last week, way too late, and you can only go out to get groceries or medicine). Then we will still have these awful lockdown conditions, but with the cold comfort of knowing the extra two weeks of freedom we bought ourselves came at the cost of thousands of people (and will extend the social distancing times at the end by more than this anyway).

This is another glimpse at the horror of Italy:

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unaf...d-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

But in the end, if we do stay isolated, South Korea has shown us that we will have a few months inside with our families, we'll be working from home, where possible, and after an unpleasant pandemic made about as bad as a nasty flu season thanks to social distancing, we should be out enjoying a pleasant spring (ready for another f***ing hot summer...).

Don't worry about footy, I say stock up on PS4/X Box games, and keep your Netflix going for autumn and winter. Maybe the NRL will be able to play a short season in spring.