What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

T-Boon

Coach
Nothing will change for the better. It is an absolutely certainty that Australia will have exponentially more cases 4 weeks from now than they do today.

If they halt the season now, 2020 is done

I doubt that. I do think the season will be suspended after round one. I also think this will be over inside of a month and everybody will be asking themselves what the hell this was all about. Tom Hanks getting it was the tipping point. What a joke.

Canard

Immortal
Nothing will change for the better. It is an absolutely certainty that Australia will have exponentially more cases 4 weeks from now than they do today.

If they halt the season now, 2020 is done

Maybe, but in this scenario it's done anyway playing 2 or 3 more rounds isn't going to change that.

nick87

Coach
What exactly do you think is going to change in 4 weeks?

If they suspend the season, the season is as good as cancelled. If today’s risk levels are decided to be too high, well we aren’t going to below these levels for a solid 2-3 months.

as for those other comps, the fact they are billion dollar organisations is why they can afford to cancel seasons. No NBA player is going to lose their home when they don’t get paid this season. There would be dozens if not hundreds of NRL players in that boat though

Who knows where this will be in 4 weeks. The nature of this has changed dramatically over the last 4 days. Let alone 4 weeks.

5 days ago i was going to Japan in April with my family, today we cancelled our trip. There is no way to predict where this could go. A month from now it could be game over, or if the country acts appropriately, maybe we're at the point of South Korea or Japan in a month where the spread is trending in a way that would allow us to start considering a relaxation of restrictions

I dont think you understand the fiancal implications of something like the NBA and how revenue direclty impacts their salary cap and the issues that is going to create. So we'll leave that one alone.

Maximus

Coach
still missing the point, it is quite obviously worse than a common flu, however for the vast majority of the population not to the point of this media driven hysteria in my point of view.

If you're unfortunate enough to be old or in poor health, or are a morbidly obese f**k that gorged on too much take away and as a result have diabetes or cardiovascular disease ( an ever increasing cross section of Australian society ) then perhaps think about staying home for a while. ( my guess is you're in this category ) For the rest of us carry on. I have precisely zero concerns for the odds on offer. ( I travel throughout Asia regularly and deal with and come in contact with literally hundreds of Chinese and Korean people every month)

Yeah f**k all the old or sick people you are going to come across and kill. You just want your footy, so their lives mean nothing

T-Boon

Coach
It's absolutely inevitable that a player will get this virus in the coming weeks and pass it on to his teammates.

If they're gonna call off the comp because a player has it they might as well do it now.

I bet no NRL player gets it....$5.

some11

Referee
Yes. It's a lot more selfish to tell everyone else they can't get paid for months because you don't want to do what's necessary to play on. It's completely understandable if the Warriors don't want to stay in Australia, I wouldn't want to if I was in their shoes, but you can't just tell 300+ players they can't do their jobs because you aren't.
This is bigger than the game.

Containing the spread is paramount. Think of your folks, flu season is coming up on top of this - it will get worse before it gets better.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Re:Warriors

Seems like they should base themselves out of Sydney for a few weeks.

Since the stadiums will be locked anyway, i dont think it matters where they play

There most definitely would be NBA players that would suffer financial hardship if they were not paid.

I'm also confused by your comment that nothing will change in 4 weeks. Things are changing daily at the moment.

It won't get better. This is with us for the foreseeable future. We need to learn to co-exist with it as it isnt going away.

NRL players are not at mortal risk to thia disease, they are young and healthy. Some may carry it and ahow no signs whatsoever.
If isolated from the general public it can go on. Bit I guess we listen to the medical experts on this.

Who knows where this will be in 4 weeks. The nature of this has changed dramatically over the last 4 days. Let alone 4 weeks.

5 days ago i was going to Japan in April with my family, today we cancelled our trip. There is no way to predict where this could go. A month from now it could be game over, or if the country acts appropriately, maybe we're at the point of South Korea or Japan in a month where the spread is trending in a way that would allow us to start considering a relaxation of restrictions

I dont think you understand the fiancal implications of something like the NBA and how revenue direclty impacts their salary cap and the issues that is going to create. So we'll leave that one alone.

What makes you think Japan and Sth Korea are in any way comparable to Australia and why do you think that cancelling a professional sporting competiton like the nrl rather than playing in empty stadiums will help while schools and large offices are left open?

Not critical just curious.