What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Gareth67

First Grade
To carry on as normal; that’s a good start.

With respect Jimmy , to carry on as normal as one possibly can under the present circumstances , will become increasingly harder as each week passes due to , as you have pointed out the panic associated with this disease.

By the same token this C-Virus is indeed claiming many lives worldwide and it will be only a matter of time before Australia’s death rate increases , only a matter of time . Our hospitals simply will not be able to cope once the virus establishes itself in this country , the medical profession has quite recently stated that they have only “ just enough “ supplies to combat the illness as it is now . Lord help us when those supplies have been exhausted .

Carry on as normal by all means , but look very carefully at the road ahead , as the signs are already beginning to appear .

Last edited:

ViceVersa

Juniors
A flashback:

In 2003, it was said SARS was going to kill us all.

It didn’t.

In 2005, Bird Flu was supposed to wreak havoc.

It didn’t.

In 2009, Swine Flu was definitely the one to polish us all off.

Nope, not even close.

As recently as 2016, Zika virus was predicted to wipe out humanity.

Wrong again.

Mass hysteria is far worse than any of these diseases, and claims more lives per annum.

Who's talking about extinction here? So because it might not wipe out the planet, it's not worth getting under control because it doesn't affect the majority infected badly?

You have no idea how to consider the effects of carriers on the vulnerable and, even more so, the effects this can have on health systems in almost every country. I won't even get started on irrelevant comparisons to different past epidemics. I do find it cute you tried to downplay it by comparisons to SARS, which maxed out around 9000 cases, while COVID-19 is already at 130,000 confirmed, but in reality will be at half a million within weeks.

The reason for limiting crowds isn't to "save humanity" and overreact like your poorly educated stance likes to think. No matter what the virus is likely to infect a large number of people regardless of whether events go ahead or not.

What the objective of these policies is, is to spread that number out over a longer period of time. Health systems will collapse under the numbers all around the world if the peak is too large. There is a difference between contain and delay. When contain fails, delay has multiple benefits.

Your dismissive statements on the area are honestly not worthy of a response, and sound like tired Facebook boomer arguments that have been old since mid-January. But I reply not for your education, but because misinformation and the "oh it doesn't effect me" recurrence must be combated, for any other readers' benefit who may take your dangerous rhetoric seriously.

The world is winding down at the recommendation of every single reputable health organisation there is, all of which employ countless scientific and health staff with thousands of years of study and experience between them. Data and simulations which any intelligent person can access show the virus is fightable, and yes, may really be "nothing to worry about" for 90 percent of the population. But that's not how health science works. I'm sure many here know someone aged over 70. And they may also not find it comforting that just because they are younger and likely not at risk, that they are supposed to not take measures protect elderly and handicapped populations who this virus has the potential to ravage.

I could honestly go on and on. I could talk in detail about how the virus has been shown to leave longer lasting negative effects on the lungs on those who recover. Or talk about the silly comparisons the uneducated love to parrot on about to the flu, despite the fact humanity has had vaccines and built immunity to it over time. I could also mention the nature of transmission being over double the common flu.

So nah, very little of what the world is doing is "overreaction". I would in fact argue that there is an alarming sense of underreaction from those who wish to bury their heads in the sand without thinking 2 weeks ahead, as should be happening.

There's just one part I'll concede to you Jimmy. The overreaction and hysteria of the toilet paper hoarding is misplaced and stupid.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
With respect Jimmy , to carry on as normal as one possibly can under the present circumstances , will become increasingly harder as each week passes due to , as you have pointed out the panic associated with this disease.

By the same token this C-Virus is indeed claiming many lives worldwide and it will be only a matter of time before Australia’s death rate increases , only a matter of time . Our hospitals simply will not be able to cope once the virus establishes itself in this country , the medical profession has quite recently stated that they have only “ just enough “ supplies to combat the illness as it is now . Lord help us when those supplies have been exhausted .

Carry on as normal by all means , but look very carefully at the road ahead , as the signs are already beginning to appear .

A friend of mine on FB has posted a Corona virus data pack, which outlines the disease comparatively to other “world ending” problems such as SARS, Ebola etc. if I can find a link to it, I’ll endeavour to post it here.

In a nutshell:

81% of symptoms are MILD, under 5% are critical.

Of total worldwide confirmed cases (since 9/3), 40% are currently ill, of that figure around 57% are recovering. About 3.5% have died.

Both chickenpox and measles (in terms of a mortality rate) leave COVID-19 for dead....excuse the pun

Now, here’s the real problem: in terms of the media, Corona virus has had twice as many mentions as SARS, and three times with HIV.

Postscript: I found the link. Let’s hope BrutaiTops reads it for his edification.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Might be the most ironic post in LU history lol

I'd like to see the research you have done. I assure you, my post above which took apart your argument is entirely sourced by the World Health Organisation, Australian Medical Association, the AHPPC and other official health organisations around the world which I have been monitoring since early January. As well as reputable international news organisations.

Perhaps it needs to be spelt out for you, but here a graph that was initially intended to be used on children but certain childish adults sometimes fall under the target demographic.

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

Because you are apparently so into "research" you'll note sources are included on this children's gif. Geared towards a specific healthcare system, however the same principle applies. Cases, even those which may not be severe, can require hospital resources to either test or treat. If all of these are coming at once, the system is not going to cope with the pressure. This is exactly what is happening in Italy, as their COVID bubble burst all at once, leaving cities and especially regional areas unable to cope with demand. There are multiple accounts of verified doctors in Italy describing the situation as a nightmare over there, which you will surely be aware of considering all your "research".

So again, whether you think it's "just a flu" or not really doesn't matter. Well it does, because that's dumb, but it's about the bigger picture. Even if HALF of the vulnerable population becomes infected in too short a period of time, our very own system in Australia will be unable to cope. This is simple fact.

And now try and think about remote areas and regional ones, and then amplify the above issue even more so. The maths simply does not add up unless the peak is spread out. The way to do this is limit public gatherings, which is, objectively, and you honestly cannot deny this one, one of the most common ways to spread ANYTHING, let alone a virus with no vaccine which is more than 2x as transmissible as the common flu.

So sorry to deconstruct your posts with essay responses twice in one night, but you're in well over your head mate. Pull your head in and stop with the shitty nothing is wrong attitude because it has been old since January

Please refer to my reply to Gareth67.

In the interim, here’s a song for ya. Torn apart? If you say so.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lol. Getting into meltdown territory there Jimmy. The post from someone who says, "don't panic"

Fair advice, don't use caps and exclamation marks when telling others to calm down.

Do you even know what you're protesting about?

I’d say, MASS HYSTERIA for a condition that is in no way as serious as both chickenpox and measles combined.

Sometimes, caps are a good tool to express EXASPERATION (especially when responding to non thinking folk).

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I’d say, MASS HYSTERIA for a condition that is in no way as serious as both chickenpox and measles combined.

Sometimes, caps are a good tool to express EXASPERATION (especially when responding to non thinking folk).

you’re talking about non thinking folk?

VERY INTERESTING!

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yep. Also did my own research which lines up with what Brutalitops wrote. Did you read Brutalitops post? My guess is no you didn’t, and you won’t.

Good guess, but no, I read his “there’s no point responding to you” essay rather dispassionately.

Gareth67

First Grade
A8700037-2862-4789-A0D9-FC46418E8271.jpeg
The Spanish Influenza we had people wearing face mask protection , this will become the norm here in the not too distant future .

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’m tipping after round 2 that the NRL season will be suspended until further notice. The Warriors scenario and their families will be a huge obstacle and the risk factor to players will only escalate.

mickeylane

Bench
The NRL back pedalling big time in this media Conference - I must admit Vlandys showing his weakness that the media runs the game and to the detriment of human health.. the inevitable is looking it’s either rd3,4,5 the comp will cease.. putting off the obvious here..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
On second reading...
A flashback:

In 2003, it was said SARS was going to kill us all.

It didn’t.

In 2005, Bird Flu was supposed to wreak havoc.

It didn’t.

In 2009, Swine Flu was definitely the one to polish us all off.

Nope, not even close.

As recently as 2016, Zika virus was predicted to wipe out humanity.

Wrong again.

Mass hysteria is far worse than any of these diseases, and claims more lives per annum.
I don't recall any mass hysteria during those events.

Quite clearly you and your friends on facebook are very worried about this mass hysteria to the point that you see it as a greater threat than all those diseases.

You preppers should stock up on supplies and bunker down until the mass hysteria passes, assuming you already haven't done so.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
On second reading...
I don't recall any mass hysteria during those events.

Quite clearly you and your friends on facebook are very worried about this mass hysteria to the point that you see it as a greater threat than all those diseases.

You preppers should stock up on supplies and bunker down until the mass hysteria passes, assuming you already haven't done so.

he’s not a preppier mate, he’s quite the opposite. His mentality is, she’ll be right mate. 3 percent of the population dying is ok. Hospitals over capacity isn’t an issue either. As long as he’s only got a fever and a cough, he’ll be ok. Screw everyone else.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It is amazing the impact this is having to the world. From memory when SARS, HIV, etc came out it was a much scarier disease and we came out ok without banning every event and stocking up in toilet paper. Once you caught those you were less likely to survive. This disease has a much higher survival rate. Are they saying more people were more cautious then and knew to stay indoors if there was a hint of contamination where as we no longer trust people that if they are ill they will go out and spread their germs to contaminate everyone? If anything these measure will make us feel more that there is more to this virus than we know hence the extreme measures taken which is scary. From all I know is if you get it and you are not elderly, a baby or have another medical condition prior to contracting this, you will be fine and it is like a common flu. But they are making it worse than HIV, SARS etc

Latest posts