What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

big hit!

Bench
Reading between the lines i think the NRL is desperate not to default on their broadcast contract.

As it stands it is possible to play so they don't have any room for negotiation with the broadcasters. The NRL will play until such time that a player contracts the virus or the government forces them to stop. That way they can at least tell the broadcasters it isn't their fault and beg them to honour the contract with some type of compensation for next year

highlights the point that in rugby league, broadcasters and sponsors aren't partners with the NRL - they're purely mercenaries using rugby league for content.

how can the NBA and Premier League and all other OS leagues suspend but NRL feels it's over a barrel with it's arse hanging in the breeze if it does?

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
There is only so many times one can say everyone's health is the main consideration. Eventually, the financial story comes out.

I think he was being very strategic here by starting discussions on government assistance. He wants all major sporting codes digging in and pressuring government for help because he knows without it, the game is potentially farked. See his work on the equestrian flu a few years back where he managed to squeeze the government for several hundred million.

There is a time and a place to talk about money. Now is not that.

Danish

Referee
Reading between the lines i think the NRL is desperate not to default on their broadcast contract.

As it stands it is possible to play so they don't have any room for negotiation with the broadcasters. The NRL will play until such time that a player contracts the virus or the government forces them to stop. That way they can at least tell the broadcasters it isn't their fault and beg them to honour the contract with some type of compensation for next year

Now would be a good time for the NRL to lean on its fans to support the game and pressure Fox and 9 to honour their contracts, regardless of if the season is suspended or abandoned.

If tens of thousands of their subscribers pledged to cancel their subscriptions if the NRL goes to the wall, that might make Foxtel realise that their OWN survival is on the line as well.

I mean honestly, if the NRL went belly up, they'd lose half their subscriber base. They couldn't survive such losses

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
It won’t be in anyone’s interest for the NRL or any other sport to go belly up. If they were able to get through superleague where hundreds of millions were flushed down the toilet, they will get through this.

Valheru

Coach
Now would be a good time for the NRL to lean on its fans to support the game and pressure Fox and 9 to honour their contracts, regardless of if the season is suspended or abandoned.

If tens of thousands of their subscribers pledged to cancel their subscriptions if the NRL goes to the wall, that might make Foxtel realise that their OWN survival is on the line as well.

I mean honestly, if the NRL went belly up, they'd lose half their subscriber base. They couldn't survive such losses

What would happen to the subscriber base if the NRL stopped this week for the foreseeable future?

t-ba

Post Whore
And while the economic impact might not kill in the first round, it will lay some people out in the following months.

Short termism is baked into our economic system.

Many of the people in control aren't thinking more than a few days ahead because dividends.

Danish

Referee
What would happen to the subscriber base if the NRL stopped this week for the foreseeable future?

This is why the NRL should be addressing their fanbase and asking them to partner in pressuring the broadcasters to support the game.

If Vlandys and Toddy got out there today and spoke to the fans, asking us to collecting bargain with foxtel to keep us on as customers in exchange for honouring their full payment to the NRL, I'm sure it would make huge waves. The NRL fanbase would love nothing more than to take another massive swipe at news corp

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is why the NRL should be addressing their fanbase and asking them to partner in pressuring the broadcasters to support the game.

If Vlandys and Toddy got out there today and spoke to the fans, asking us to collecting bargain with foxtel to keep us on as customers in exchange for honouring their full payment to the NRL, I'm sure it would make huge waves. The NRL fanbase would love nothing more than to take another massive swipe at news corp

yeh that would go down well with the codes major funder, nrl getting it’s fans to hold fox to ransom lol.