What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Old Timer

Coach
This is absolutely terrible if this should happen. It would be like committing "murder" in my opinion to let people die. What craziness is this?
Unfortunately Italy suffers from very unstable short term governments.
Hard to perfect absolutely critical infrastructure when the levers of government are so readily put in the hands of minority parties and hastily formed coalitions.
Large self contained and ageing population who are now at risk due largely to globalisation and easy access from other countries.
For many of the elderly Italians their remoteness which was long seen as an asset to their living long, fruitful and fulfilling lives is now their Achilles heel.
Very sad days for people rendered vulnerable through no fault of their own.

TruSaint

Referee
1.8 billion in TV rights deal, and the NRL is now playing hard ball for a govt. bailout.

HQ has a lot to answer for, however I hope there is some assistance to back office staff at clubs, supply chains, caterers, security services etc.

cussy

Juniors
This is absolutely terrible if this should happen. It would be like committing "murder" in my opinion to let people die. What craziness is this?
I guess mate when faced with the situation of a 30 year old with a family to an 80 year old that has lived a good life a decision based on this need to be made unfortunately. No different to war type situation.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
110%? I’m sure a certain irritant poster that such a figure is impossible. I think you’ll find the only thing we’re over run by is pesky alarmists who currently stockpile on dunny paper.
I’m assuming this irritant is me?

Something can run at over 100% capacity. It means that the resources require to operate whatever the item is will be stretched, and without making some kind of change that over capacity will cause it to break.

I recommend testing this theory by taking your car for a drive, leaving it in first gear and just accelerate as fast as you can without changing gears.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’m assuming this irritant is me?

Something can run at over 100% capacity. It means that the resources require to operate whatever the item is will be stretched, and without making some kind of change that over capacity will cause it to break.

I recommend testing this theory by taking your car for a drive, leaving it in first gear and just accelerate as fast as you can without changing gears.

Hello precious, how I’ve missed your input.

Sorry, cannot drive due to a disability. Got any other brilliant ideas?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mate again you are making an idiot of yourself- I work front line and also privvy to occupancy levels. I see first hand everyday what ED’s and wards contend with. Stop with your bullshit

Apologies for providing perspective from a regular patient’s POV.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Also jimmy your
Comprehension skills need working on. Do you understand that a ward could see upwards of 10 discharges and admissions in the same period? Also do you know how many wards have oversensus beds? oversensus beds are beds over and above ward capacity.

As mentioned earlier, my extensive medical records at the POWH indicate I “understand” perfectly.

Speaking of comprehension, are you not aware that these worst case scenarios have been predicted many times over in the past 15 years. The word “could” sums up uncertainty here perfectly.

BTW, more people died from influenza last year alone, Where was the concern?

blue bags

First Grade
the big medical issues worldwide , is growing human resistant to antibiotics and the growing STD problem , superbugs are getting stronger

Old Timer

Coach
Apologies for providing perspective from a regular patient’s POV.
In fairness the ED departments are already put under stress from people with even minor issues that could be best handled by GP’s but because it is the government footing the bill many people are using it frivolously so any increase in numbers presenting causes issues.
Our propensity to uphold the Hippocratic oath to the highest level in all areas of society means that the system will get placed under pressure as the public system is not designed around things such as pandemics
The waiting list for essential surgery in the public system is a tell tale sign of where availability is at.

Old Timer

Coach
the big medical issues worldwide , is growing human resistant to antibiotics and the growing STD problem , superbugs are getting stronger
All hail Charles Darwin he led us to the water but not everyone bothered to drink from his fountain of knowledge.
Nature is very patient and calculating in dealing with irritants such as humans.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You might want to stock up on some loo paper, the verbal diarrhoea you’ve espoused is equally disturbing
Why the aggro? Cheer up, it's not the end of the world.

I checked out the Datapack link you provided earlier. Nice layout and very very easy to follow. I can see why you and your friends on facebook like it.

But there were two things that I picked up on:

1, The two opening graphs at the top of the page show the recovery rate is high. This is what you have based your whole argument on. But this information is common knowledge. Most people know the recovery rate is high. What I found amusing is that you and your friends on facebook are treating it like a discovery. It's like you are in some way privy to this astonishing data and must educate people less intelligent than yourselves. There's a certain irony there.

2. If you scroll down the page, there are more graphs. Perhaps the most important one is the curve:

Fast, intelligent action slows pandemic effects, stops the overwhelm of healthcare systems

No protective measures = high fatality rate.
Yes protective measures in place = low fatality rate.

Protective measures include:
Government: Fast widespread testing | Limit large gatherings | Track infectees

Personal hygiene is also a big part of these protective measures.

You see, recovery rates are high due in no small part to these protective measures. Hospitals being able to cope with it will also be due to the same protective measures. Again, this is all from the link you provided to show your 'superior knowledge' on this issue.

IMO, you and your friends on facebook didn't want to analyse it that much. Your message is she'll be right and do nothing. This is typical of an echo chamber environment that rarely reads past the headline.

The fact that you continue to place the toilet paper morons in the same basket as anyone who is cautious speaks volumes. Moreover, you seem to think that name calling, putting down others and yelling is a rational way to deal with this.

When it comes to carrying on as 'normal', you'd be the last person I'd call.

TruSaint

Referee
As mentioned earlier, my extensive medical records at the POWH indicate I “understand” perfectly.

Speaking of comprehension, are you not aware that these worst case scenarios have been predicted many times over in the past 15 years. The word “could” sums up uncertainty here perfectly.

BTW, more people died from influenza last year alone, Where was the concern?

Flu v Covid19. In simple terms.

Associate Dean, Stanford Medical School.. Dr Steven Goodman.

"The difference with this virus is two: First of all, no one is immune. So in theory, 100% of the population is susceptible to this virus," says Stanford epidemiologist Dr. Steven Goodman. "The second part is the fatality rate. Either for people who present to the medical care system sick enough to go to a doctor, or per infection, [the fatality rate] looks to be a fair bit higher than the flu, maybe on the order of five times — maybe even 10 times — higher."

Gareth67

First Grade
Watched ‘ The Footy Show ‘ earlier today when Freddy the Fiddler mentioned life was continuing on as normal in Townsville . “ Although some people said that they were greatly concerned about the pandemic , otherness were saying that they were not - so I am slightly confused “.

Freddy boy don’t be confused , look at the worst case scenario and take it from there , at the very least you know that you have taken all precautions , you can do no more there that .

Willow

Assistant Moderator

"The difference with this virus is two: First of all, no one is immune. So in theory, 100% of the population is susceptible to this virus," says Stanford epidemiologist Dr. Steven Goodman. "The second part is the fatality rate. Either for people who present to the medical care system sick enough to go to a doctor, or per infection, [the fatality rate] looks to be a fair bit higher than the flu, maybe on the order of five times — maybe even 10 times — higher."
I think this is the link and source for that?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Why the aggro? Cheer up, it's not the end of the world.

I checked out the Datapack link you provided earlier. Nice layout and very very easy to follow. I can see why you and your friends on facebook like it.

But there were two things that I picked up on:

1, The two opening graphs at the top of the page show the recovery rate is high. This is what you have based your whole argument on. But this information is common knowledge. Most people know the recovery rate is high. What I found amusing is that you and your friends on facebook are treating it like a discovery. It's like you are in some way privy to this astonishing data and must educate people less intelligent than yourselves. There's a certain irony there.

2. If you scroll down the page, there are more graphs. Perhaps the most important one is the curve:

Fast, intelligent action slows pandemic effects, stops the overwhelm of healthcare systems

No protective measures = high fatality rate.
Yes protective measures in place = low fatality rate.

Protective measures include:
Government: Fast widespread testing | Limit large gatherings | Track infectees

Personal hygiene is also a big part of these protective measures.

You see, recovery rates are high due in no small part to these protective measures. Hospitals being able to cope with it will also be due to the same protective measures. Again, this is all from the link you provided to show your 'superior knowledge' on this issue.

IMO, you and your friends on facebook didn't want to analyse it that much. Your message is she'll be right and do nothing. This is typical of an echo chamber environment that rarely reads past the headline.

The fact that you continue to place the toilet paper morons in the same basket as anyone who is cautious speaks volumes. Moreover, you seem to think that name calling, putting down others and yelling is a rational way to deal with this.

When it comes to carrying on as 'normal', you'd be the last person I'd call.

You can’t please everyone, I suppose.

Hopefully the log in your own eye falls out of its own.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

The mortality rate for Corona virus stands about 3.5%. It’d be interesting to compare this to other virus related conditions.

TruSaint

Referee
The mortality rate for Corona virus stands about 3.5%. It’d be interesting to compare this to other virus related conditions.

The point is, as the Dr suggested, covid can "potentially" spread to a massive percentage of the world's population, which then makes your rate of 3.5% very significant.