What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Canard

Immortal
Holy crap, cutting infrastructure projects is probably the worst thing the could do right now....

The majority of that money goes to
Local workers and businesses and, at the end, we have a money making asset.

Current ones yes, but things like new stadia might have to be re-prioritised if virus takes off.

wibble

Bench
Well an Assistant Principal yes, look through my posting history if you want, it has been mentioned before. We will be implementing social distancing practices so kids will come into contact with kids in their class only. Things like a cancelation of assemblies, school excursions, conferences, rolling lunch breaks will be implemented, you are getting hooked up on just one aspect of social distancing. If someone in a classroom is diagnosed with Covid 19 then that entire class goes into self isolation, the school closes and a deep clean is completed before it reopens.

With kids at school it actually prevents them from circulating through the wider community, it keeps them out of shopping centres parks etc where they would come into contact with far more people then their classroom.

Mind if I ask if any of this has been communicated to staff and students yet? Is it a plan from a central authority, or from the school? Because planning at my school is non existent. No excursions cancelled (they will be, no doubt), no assemblies cancelled (again, I'm sure that will happen, though how that will all be communicated without assembly of some sort seems tricky). (No discussion of what will happen if/when school closes, no mention of teacher roles in such a case, no talk about how student learning will continue, especially for our Yr 12 students).

I can't imagine how rolling lunch breaks can be implemented without some significant planning, at least at my school.

I'm getting caught up on the one aspect as it was what the prime minister said. It was a nonsense statement. Kids won't be kept apart from each other and they can't be.

At my school at least, 30 kids will sit in one room for an hour. Plenty of time for one kid to infect every other person in the room, and spread it on every surface. Then those 30 kids will go to 10 other classrooms for another hour, while another 30 come into the room with coronavirus all through it.

Then after doing that for 2 hours, all those kids will mix with nearly 1000 others in the playground. Then squashed back into classrooms for 2 hours, then playground, then another 1 hour lesson. All 1000 people at the school could easily be exposed to one person within 5 hours. If someone at the school is found positive, they could have been infecting every one else in this sort of squashed together environment, for a week.

Viruses aren't super precise, so one person could breathe in another's coughing for a week and not be infected, so I don't expect all exposed people would be infected. There is also some discussion that kids don't get infected or carry it, but I've seen doctors talking about kids killed by it, so I'm not sure it is true.

But the dream of social distancing in a school is a farce. One person in a school could easily be a super spreader. And well over half the teaching staff in my school, and I'm sure in plenty of others, are in their 50s and 60s. Not to mention those going through chemo, or with partners going through such things, and those with elderly parents that rely on them heavily.

An Italy style disaster could kill one or two of the staff, on probabilities, and several more of our elderly relatives.

The prevention of circulating through the wider community is just not true. It is not true from the best epidemiological models, and it has not been true in the 60 countries that have closed schools already.

Even if every kid congregated at the mall, which is unlikely, they wouldn't be forced to sit 50 cm from each other for hours. But most of them would be supervised by parents at home, doing studies, hopefully (I know it won't happen for plenty as well).

I agree that closing schools will place a fair strain on the community, and of most concern, on essential services workers. I also don't think schools can be closed tomorrow, as a matter of practicality (as I said, my school is not at all prepared for that).

But the PM was talking out his arse about social distancing at schools, and about closing them increasing infections. And he will have to eat his words too, in a week or two (not that any politician would outright say they are wrong, he'll say something like "It is a fluid situation, and now the best advice is to close schools" without at all acknowledging that he said it would not help, and without admitting that it has to be done because you can't do social distancing at schools and so closing schools will lower the rate of infection. But that is why he will be offering a different view, because the one he offered today is stupid).

wibble

Bench
Yep. Wibble. Been saying rubbish like we’ll all be indoors until at least spring, NRL will be lucky to be back by next season, but essential services will of course keep running and we will still be able to ‘go to the shops’. Real stupid doomsday crap.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that this is the message so you can keep dismissing it and stay under your safety blanket. At least you back tracked on me saying we'd be in bunkers for a year and a half, but you're still wilfully spouting nonsense.

some11

Referee
Holy crap, cutting infrastructure projects is probably the worst thing the could do right now....

The majority of that money goes to
Local workers and businesses and, at the end, we have a money making asset.
Works that are mid-build absolutely have to go on.

Although somewhat ironic, Brisbane is in the middle of building a proper international cruise terminal opposite the port where they used to dock.

wibble

Bench
Jesus this Wibble bloke must be fun at parties.

Just as well we can't go to parties for a while.

He even has his own rhyming fun saying when debating an adversary at a party.

"Ya just cant quibble with the indomitable mr wibble"

Poetry, thinking of my party life, and appeals to God and now Jesus. I'm glad you've been thinking about me, it's really sweet.

If it helps take your mind off the fact the NRL may be disrupted due to coronavirus, I'm glad I could help.

Of course, if you're so scared of thinking about things that might be threatening, you might in the future want to avoid a thread titled "Coronavirus and the NRL". Of course, that advice comes from a non expert who isn't the Chief Medical Officer, so you'll probably want to take it with a grain of salt.

Apey

Staff member
I know it's fun to blame those crazy guys eating bats and all but..

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

A 55-year-old individual from Hubei province in China may have been the first person to have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus spreading across the globe. That case dates back to Nov. 17, 2019, according to the South Morning China Post.

That's more than a month earlier than doctors noted cases in Wuhan, China, which is in Hubei province, at the end of December 2019. At the time, authorities suspected the virus stemmed from something sold at a wet market in the city. However, it's now clear that early in what is now a pandemic, some infected people had no connection to the market. That included one of the earliest cases from Dec. 1, 2019 in an individual who had no link to that seafood market, researchers reported Jan. 20 in the journal The Lancet.

Cactus

Juniors
Of course, if you're so scared of thinking about things that might be threatening, you might in the future want to avoid a thread titled "Coronavirus and the NRL". Of course, that advice comes from a non expert who isn't the Chief Medical Officer, so you'll probably want to take it with a grain of salt.

I am so scared & threatened by things that while you spent much of afternoon here arguing semantics and trying to draw attention to yourself I had a beer, watched the game of footy on 9 and called a family member for a cosy chat.

Try to stop scaring the children & enjoy life a little more, OK.

wibble

Bench
I am so scared & threatened by things that while you spent much of afternoon here arguing semantics and trying to draw attention to yourself I had a beer, watched the game of footy on 9 and called a family member for a cosy chat.

Try to stop scaring the children & enjoy life a little more, OK.

I wouldn't call Springs09 a child, just worried.

But you're still sweetly thinking of me. Maybe we should get a room? (Of course, within the bounds of sensible social distancing).

Perth Red

Post Whore
No they dont. They spent their cash reserve on their NRL media operation. The cash they have, they is courtesy of a $100 million broadcast advance received over 2017-2018 and needed for to pay their huge amount of current liaility payables.

no they didn’t, this is surplus at years end for the first two years. The $100mill advance went largely to clubs, the digital has come out of increased operation revenue. They have $72mill from two years surpluses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is a shit take, and would be PR suicide.

thing is they do t have to be the ones to blame. The clubs have just received the emergency fund set aside in case any club got into trouble in the future so there is no more bail out money. If nrl will go back on its strong g stance of not rescuing a club in trouble is now the question of it comes to that.

wibble

Bench
A fifth death in Australia now.

Interestingly Johnson is going to try isolating 70+ year olds and not building herd immunity, in the UK. I earlier said that won't work, and it is not something anyone else has tried, but I guess we will find out now.

Also, the UK is attempting to retool industry to make more medical instruments. That sounds to me like a great idea if you can do it.

Also also, Cameron Smith now saying the NRL should be suspended (not yet to beyond next season!).

And finally (because I want the attention...), if the season isn't suspended, I wonder how this will impact injured players.

Will they be able to get medical care if our health system is stretched? An ACL might not be operated on for weeks or months, extending recovery time. I guess that is very hypothetical at the moment, but maybe the players will need to consider that as well as a hundred other things, if they are still playing in a month or two but medical resources are stretched.

wibble

Bench
I dont think anyone here would come within a 1.5m radius (or 7sqm) of you.

Sorry all, I was hoping our budding romance would have stopped by now, but it seems we can't resist each other. As Cactus and I are clearly not actually furthering this thread with our flirting, I will do my best to ignore his/her/its future entreaties.