What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V West Tigers

Old Timer

Coach
Not surprised by the result today but here is some commentary:
1. Defended much better than most of the games last year. Flannagan is doing what he promised.
2. Our execution in attack is second rate.
Hunt is a rocks and diamonds type of player and today he was mostly rocks.
Our kicking game is still not up to standard for a FG RL Team.
3. Graham must retire - he is just hogging a spot that a younger forward could develop into.
No impact (62 RM), doesn't bend the line and missed a crucial one on one tackle.
4. Lafai - not FG standard. Why do they persist?
5. Norman - can't lead the team around the park but either can Hunt.
This halves pairing will not win us a premiership in a million years.
6. Lomax - Rocks and diamonds but I think deserves more chances. At least as many as Dufty had.
7, Tariq Sims fully fit is a monster and brings some real authority to our pack.
He and Vaughn, Frizell the only ones that bring some impact to our game. Others like Lawrie, give 100% but whether that makes a difference in the end it's hard to tell.
8. Williame - a class above Aitkin.
9. Completion rate - diabolical . No chance of winning any game with today's match stats.
10. Second half fade - old habits die hard. The second half had McGregor's signature all over it.
Conclusion:
The only part of our game that seems to have improved from 2019 is our defence.
All the rest, including game plan, our attack and our general execution was terrible.
All the hallmarks of a poorly coached Team.
First game of the season in front of our home crowd.
Tigers were not much better but they have a genuine leader in Benji. We do not.
Can't agree re our defence I think it is shit.
Of course the on line stuff looks good but the simple fact is they rolled up the field with ease.
They should never get to that position so easily but they did and theirs is not a particularly good pack.
Our moments of try saving was only a poor imitation of what Dugan provided game in game out.
Graham & Kerr missed easy tackles in the middle and Hunt pushed off as he went for shoulder tackles so nothing has changed except Lomax is a mile in front of Norman or Dufty re defending the line.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm just waiting for some old bloke to log on and post "calm down it's just the first round, it's just one game blah blah". Then it will be a true case of of de ja vu and my blood pressure will go through the roof.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
About what I’ve become used to except today I thought without Brooks we would win.
Although I think Zac is a centre I’m happy to give him plenty of time. His defence was good, positional play ok & I did notice him talking in defence.
I think Tyrell did enough to keep his spot.
Friz looked better on the left & ran some good lines.
Hunt as usual has copped plenty on here but he can’t be accused of not putting in, plus his defence saved 3 tries.Lack of go forward didn’t help.
I was really surprised at the hate coming from Luc towards some of his ex teammates, most notably Zac & Lawrie. Going out of his way to sledge in their faces & push or rub their heads. Big brother must be teaching him.I was a fan of his but he can get you know what from me now.
I actually reckon Luc could have used a bit of that attitude with us. That was probably his biggest issue. He played ok tonight it wasn't the dominating performance some thought it was though. Never threw much at him in D to test him for a start and in attack well the amount of sets they had at us he was bound to get one eventually. We shut him down pretty well I thought. That grubber he dived on, was a mistake by Zac but I could see what he was trying to do, they had done a lot of defending, he shielded the kick and it did look strong but it just pulled up. He will learn from that but that was difference in the game really our kicks went just over the line and Benji's pulled up just short of it.

George Dragon

Juniors
It was tough in the sense that he was camped on his on his own line in the rain repeat set after repeat set. Seriously mate it was his first ever NRL game in that position other than some mid game positional switch ups last year. Benji played beautifully, if we had half his game management this game we would have won that game comfortably. No player will ever develop for us because the fans only see the negatives and tear them to shreds. Give him time seriously its one game.
He was named started and played a full game at FB v Sharks last year.

Two things:

1. while it may have been his first NRL game at fullback, he has played previously in that position a number of times in reserve grade.

2. irrespective of whatever level Lomax has played at fullback (or on the wing), he has repeatedly shown a propensity to drop kicks on a All too frequent basis.

Today was no different.
Has never played FB in reserves
He played one game at FB in Flegg 2018

Father Ted

First Grade
Ford is a work in progress and has lots to like but also lots to learn.
A smart coach would have him in against the smaller / weaker teams and keep him away from the really big boppers in the top teams.
Far too often a young forward can get a set back against a ferocious pack and not really recover from it ala Kevin Gibson who met the might of the South’s pack just s but too early on.

Poor Gibson that was more a public beating that a match up..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Difference today was the coach. Maguire identified weaknesses, tweaked some stuff and they won. Mary probably patted the boys on the back, said all good guys keep it up and there you have a 2nd half of rubbish.

Luciano and Benji scored tries to put them in front. Benji controlled the game without his regular half. Pure masterclass. Those 2 were not good enough for Mary. Says it all. However Madge see them as weapons and it showed tonight. I would love those 2 guys to have a great 2020 season to show how stupid Saints are for letting them go.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I had hoped Flanno's involvement would have had a positive impact on the team but it looked a lot like previous years, guess he's under a tight leash so he doesn't show the super coach up.

Our defence out wide was better, but i think that was due to Aitken's absence more so than any new structures having been introduced. That should be the last we see of Aitken in the top grade barring a bad run of injuries.

It was just a lot of the same shite as previous years, going to be more pain until the impostor coach is gone. Lomax is still a work in progress but will get there as long as he gets a good 6 to 8 weeks to iron out the yips.

I thought our new recruits probably looked as good as anyone today, guess they just haven't been McGregored as yet.

I had us finishing 10th-11th this year, i may have been a tad optimistic!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I had hoped Flanno's involvement would have had a positive impact on the team but it looked a lot like previous years, guess he's under a tight leash so he doesn't show the super coach up.

Our defence out wide was better, but i think that was due to Aitken's absence more so than any new structures having been introduced. That should be the last we see of Aitken in the top grade barring a bad run of injuries.

It was just a lot of the same shite as previous years, going to be more pain until the impostor coach is gone. Lomax is still a work in progress but will get there as long as he gets a good 6 to 8 weeks to iron out the yips.

I thought our new recruits probably looked as good as anyone today, guess they just haven't been McGregored as yet.

I had us finishing 10th-11th this year, i may have been a tad optimistic!

Speaking of the new recruits, did Williame see much game time? Other than fluffing a fairly reasonable try scoring opportunity (and lying with a false celebration), I don’t recall him doing much.

Tyrell F. looks promising.

Luke, whilst trying hard, often went the wrong way from dummy half, particularly close to the line.

Merrin was non existent.

Brittain’s cameo was redolent of Havilli when he was a Dragon. You know what I mean. Simply shovel the ball out, and whatever you do, don’t dare showing any creativity.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Difference today was the coach. Maguire identified weaknesses, tweaked some stuff and they won. Mary probably patted the boys on the back, said all good guys keep it up and there you have a 2nd half of rubbish.

Luciano and Benji scored tries to put them in front. Benji controlled the game without his regular half. Pure masterclass. Those 2 were not good enough for Mary. Says it all. However Madge see them as weapons and it showed tonight. I would love those 2 guys to have a great 2020 season to show how stupid Saints are for letting them go.

I’d rather a 40 plus Marshall than a 30 year old Norman.

Millward sure knows to pick a dud.

Does anyone have Gareth W’s phone number?

Sigh.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
2 players in which dragons have let go Bunji few years back and also Luc who played his first 80 minutes first grade ever dominated and embarrassed us. Simply Maguire is a better coach.

As evidenced by leading Souths to its first premiership in 40 plus years. I don’t agree with yours assessment with LL, who was error riddled. Frizzel, Sims and Lawrie all had superior performances.

Crush

Coach
I'm just waiting for some old bloke to log on and post "calm down it's just the first round, it's just one game blah blah". Then it will be a true case of of de ja vu and my blood pressure will go through the roof.
Did you expect something different?
I wrote this year off long ago. I just want entertainment and that game was entertaining enough. I fully expect to lose most games, its a rebuild.
Try not to focus too much on our halves, just laugh when they kick the ball dead or out on the full.
This season is a write off, in more ways than one.

Life's Good

Coach
Obviously disappointed to lose but it’s the manner in which it happens that’s the killer. It’s the composure/game management side of things that has continued to let us down. Not since Hornby have we had someone in the team who can control our tempo. We started well yesterday, then lost our way & then struggle to keep our our sh*t together.
I know Graham is good leader but it’s up to the halves to set the tone & frankly, they didnt(although Hunt has some good individual moments).

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Did you expect something different?
I wrote this year off long ago. I just want entertainment and that game was entertaining enough. I fully expect to lose most games, its a rebuild.
Try not to focus too much on our halves, just laugh when they kick the ball dead or out on the full.
This season is a write off, in more ways than one.

I try to laugh at our halves, but given we are paying each a million bucks per year I can only cry. Jai Field and Josh McCrone would have done no worse at a fraction of the cost.