What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

wibble

Bench
or staph, around 1,500 cases per year and 20% fatality rate

Staph is a big problem. Golden staph may render antibiotics useless at some point, but hopefully not (maybe we can then invest in bacteriophages).

But it is, as you say, about 1500 cases.

NSW health were saying coronavirus could quickly and easily get to one and a half million cases, in NSW alone. Hopefully not, as there are only a hundred and twenty thousand world wide at the moment. It depends how well we stop the exponential growth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What does it say? (I have a pay wall stopping me reading it)

If you didn’t know any better, you could’ve mistaken ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys on Sunday for being the US President in one of those end-of-the-world movies straight out of Hollywood.

Think Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact addressing the nation as a deadly asteroid comes hurtling towards Earth.

An Australia without rugby league is not Australia!” V’landys boldly declared at a media conference at League Central as the financial cost of the coronavirus hit home while, at the same time, seemingly forgetting that an Australia without people is also not Australia.

Sitting alongside nodding chief executive Todd Greenberg — who was about to lose his job later this week but not now — V’landys laid out why the federal government needs to bail out a multibillion-dollar professional sport, that spruiks every five years how much money it makes from its broadcast deals, that only a week or so ago trumpeted how it’s in rude health after returning a $30 million profit.

V’landys talked about the game only having months to live if fan lockouts continued, or even worse if it was indefinitely suspended.

“The last resort for us is to go to the players and ask them for a pay cut because, like the rest of us, they’ve got mortgages and made commitments on the money they believe they’re going to get," he said.

The room cringed. Twitter was broken. Will someone think of the footballers?!

Rugby league’s great unwashed probably don’t care how players on an average wage of $371,000-a-year are going to battle through this. Or if the best-paid players on $1 million might have to sell off that fourth investment property they snapped up when the market was right.

And if Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s icy response at a media conference late on Sunday when asked about V'landys comments is any indication, he’s also not big on the idea of bailing out rugby league.

He’s probably more concerned right now about having enough ICU beds if this thing keeps spreading, and people start dying, at the same pace as seen in other parts of the world.

V’landys is calling from the same playbook he used in 2007 when equine influenza ripped through the racing industry, stopping meetings across the country but predominantly in NSW and Queensland.

In his role as Racing NSW chief executive, he walked into then Prime Minister John Howard’s office, asked for a $110m rescue package — and ended up with $235m.

“That was an apprenticeship,” V’landys quipped at Sunday morning’s media conference. “This is like starting the trade.”

How much does he want from Morrison for rugby league, then?

“I usually start at $500m and work my way down,” he quipped again.

V’landys later confirmed he hadn’t spoken to Morrison, or NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, or any government official for that matter, which means he was using the media to lobby for funds.

That raises the suspicion that the NRL is more concerned with its financial health than preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

Almost everyone has an opinion on solutions, of course, from suspending the premiership for a month and getting rid of the Kangaroo tour at the end of the year, to playing every match out of the one venue for the foreseeable future.

One day, Souths coach Wayne Bennett said he wanted the comp suspended. The next, he wanted matches in Darwin and Townsville. Which one is it, supercoach?

Another suggestion that's been tossed about among government bureaucrats is diverting the $800m about to be spent on refurbishing ANZ Stadium to rugby league, rugby, football and other sports. Could it be that easy?

“There’s a lot of uncertainty around the happenings, and I suppose the goings-on, of the coronavirus,” Corey Parker mused on Fox Sports before Penrith hosted the Roosters.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/v-...le-of-coronavirus-crisis-20200315-p54aac.html

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Look, I'm not looking forward to the season being postponed for any extended period either, but it would be gross negligence to remain a public health risk in spite of the evidence just because you haven't managed your finances efficiently. If the competition is really in that much of a castle of cards, then maybe the whole thing does deserve to come down and begun anew. The bottom line is, sport must remain just that, sport. It is not worth the damage it could do (or contribute to) to society at large.

Chook Norris

First Grade

Pete Cash

Post Whore
or staph, around 1,500 cases per year and 20% fatality rate

Remember when the raiders kept getting staph infections in the form of boils and this forum lolled at players being medically ruled out. Now I learn they had a 1 in 5 chance of dying ???

Staph covers a lot of infections. People should Google "Kevin randleman staph" and hit the image search lol

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
for better stimulus drop anz and allianz and build three newBankwest’s and a boutique ground for manly for same cost, lots more jobs created.

shame we can’t employ hospo and tourism sector workers in construction I guess. And construction will be one of the last things affected by the slowdown.

langpark

First Grade
I am getting a bit tired of some (mainly the NRL) seeming to think they have a monopoly on 'being hard done by' in all of this. Pretty much every industry will be severely effected by this, unless you own a supermarket or pharmacy, you WILL take a major hit from this. We are looking at another GFC, possibly worse than 2008.

Personally, I work in tourism, and what was about to be a busy year of work is suddenly gone. Even if this problem disappears tomorrow (which it won't) the damage is done and I am out of work indefinitely. Yet I don't go whining to the govt. for a handout like the NRL are already doing.

Anyway, I am shocked that this is even an issue that the NRL can seemingly freely decide by themselves. In pretty much every other country, it seems to be the govt. is ordering everyone and everything to shut down. I personally believe the Aus. govt. need a stronger approach. In Italy, they didn't take it seriously and suddenly had a few thousand cases on their hands within 48 hours.

Canard

Immortal
thing is they do t have to be the ones to blame. The clubs have just received the emergency fund set aside in case any club got into trouble in the future so there is no more bail out money. If nrl will go back on its strong g stance of not rescuing a club in trouble is now the question of it comes to that.

Expansion of the game isn't a priority right now mate, and may not be for a good while.

Maximus

Coach
Yep. Wibble. Been saying rubbish like we’ll all be indoors until at least spring, NRL will be lucky to be back by next season, but essential services will of course keep running and we will still be able to ‘go to the shops’. Real stupid doomsday crap.

No he didn't. That's just how you decided to interpret it because you want to be cool or edgy by downplaying this.

There is lockdowns and seasons suspended all over the world. It is not "doomsday crap" to suggest we will experience the same.

The problem for us is that this is only expected to get worse when winter hits. And no this isn't "doomsday crap", it is stated by the experts.

The only thing he said that is even close that I can see is that we will shutdown for a few weeks (most overseas if not indefinite seem to be 4-6 weeks), but if it gets worse over winter like they are suggesting then it could be months, and then worst case scenario is they call off the season. That is not "doomsday crap". It's a worst case scenario.

Reactions: abc

Maximus

Coach
no they didn’t, this is surplus at years end for the first two years. The $100mill advance went largely to clubs, the digital has come out of increased operation revenue. They have $72mill from two years surpluses.

Having a surplus doesn't mean you have the cash.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
How many train trips into the city this morning had more than 500 people?

What is the capacity of George or Swanston st footpath?

I’m finding everything being done totally useless. I’m in an office building with more than 500 people and it is likely that you are. As are most kids at their school.

We have our jobs that continue, and so do NRL players. Stopping crowds is really not going to help while we have all of the above going on. In my opinion the most worrying thing about this is the amount of people that it will bankrupt, not kill.

Knight76

Juniors
It is not a viable option for the county to go in to lock down long term. The current measures are an attempt by gov to put a stopper on the spread of the virus and hopefully, if everyone behaves and takes the appropriate precautions, Covid19's existing cases will get better, and the infected numbers will drop significantly.

Thats best case, but they have already seen some instances of infection where there was no clear contact with a person who has returned from overseas, or had direct contact with an infected person. So they have no idea where these people got covid19 from.

That raises the possibility that in all likelihood Covid19 is not contained and is spreading in the community. But, we are not seeing large numbers of infections being reported from unknown sources either.

At some point the government is going to have to change it's strategy from all out trying to stop it, to minimising it's economic impact, and dealing with it's spread.

Longer term close downs and restrictions are going to lead to a recession and then swiftly to a depression.

Measures will have to change from don't gather in large numbers, to don't gather in large numbers if your ill, if your elderly etc. Practice good hygiene and if your sick, stay home from work etc.

As for the NRL, players should be ok to continue playing, and trips to away games if flight is required should be done via chartered private flights to limit the exposure to the public. Games behind closed doors for the time being, if the Warriors must return home then exclude them from the comp.

It's unfortunate but the show must go on as they say, as long as it can. Pray a player does not become infected.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Look, I'm not looking forward to the season being postponed for any extended period either, but it would be gross negligence to remain a public health risk in spite of the evidence just because you haven't managed your finances efficiently. If the competition is really in that much of a castle of cards, then maybe the whole thing does deserve to come down and begun anew. The bottom line is, sport must remain just that, sport. It is not worth the damage it could do (or contribute to) to society at large.

It's not just a sport, it is peoples livelihood..

Latest posts