What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

franklin2323

Immortal
How many train trips into the city this morning had more than 500 people?

What is the capacity of George or Swanston st footpath?

I’m finding everything being done totally useless. I’m in an office building with more than 500 people and it is likely that you are. As are most kids at their school.

We have our jobs that continue, and so do NRL players. Stopping crowds is really not going to help while we have all of the above going on. In my opinion the most worrying thing about this is the amount of people that it will bankrupt, not kill.

That is the thing. On the grand scheme of things 300 odd cases in a population of 26 million is nothing. The economic hit will be far worse

People also need to realise that "lock downs" will not halt the virus and lead to a cure. Health authorities are predicting it will be around 6 months until this virus is contained. If that is correct, think about the implications of a 6 month lock down on your own life. You can't lock everyone down (as neither China, Italy nor France have) otherwise you'd run out of food very quickly as nothing would be being made/harvested/cultivated let alone transported to distribution centres, you'd wind up with no essential services (e.g. electricity, water) as those systems would break down without people to run them.

Frailty

First Grade
People also need to realise that "lock downs" will not halt the virus and lead to a cure. Health authorities are predicting it will be around 6 months until this virus is contained. If that is correct, think about the implications of a 6 month lock down on your own life. You can't lock everyone down (as neither China, Italy nor France have) otherwise you'd run out of food very quickly as nothing would be being made/harvested/cultivated let alone transported to distribution centres, you'd wind up with no essential services (e.g. electricity, water) as those systems would break down without people to run them.

The lock downs are actually designed to reduce impact on the health services. If you do not implement them, then the demand on the emergency services reaches a level that they can not effectively operate to save lives. The true impact of COVID-19 isn't necessarily the virus itself, but because of the additional strain on hospitals that lead to increased deaths from other emergencies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How many train trips into the city this morning had more than 500 people?

What is the capacity of George or Swanston st footpath?

I’m finding everything being done totally useless. I’m in an office building with more than 500 people and it is likely that you are. As are most kids at their school.

We have our jobs that continue, and so do NRL players. Stopping crowds is really not going to help while we have all of the above going on. In my opinion the most worrying thing about this is the amount of people that it will bankrupt, not kill.
Passing interactions don't pose a high risk for transmission is my understanding.

Static gatherings - i.e. sitting together in a stadium for 2-3 hours - that's where the risk is highest.

I personally would avoid public transport, particularly if its a journey more than 10-20 minutes too.

Timmah

Staff member
That is the thing. On the grand scheme of things 300 odd cases in a population of 26 million is nothing. The economic hit will be far worse
If you think this thing's gonna top out at 300 cases, I've got a bridge to sell you...

Timmah

Staff member
The lock downs are actually designed to reduce impact on the health services. If you do not implement them, then the demand on the emergency services reaches a level that they can not effectively operate to save lives. The true impact of COVID-19 isn't necessarily the virus itself, but because of the additional strain on hospitals that lead to increased deaths from other emergencies.
This. This is what so many people aren't understanding at the moment. If you want it to be over quicker, then you have to accept more cases, more deaths and a completely crippled health system.

The better way is to limit the spread, which reduces impact on hospitals and avoids preventable deaths - even if it has some economic and social impacts.

2 weeks

Coach
Well this is getting real for me now .

We had a 7am board meeting and even though we have no diagnosed cases, we have been sent home to self isolate for an indefinite period .

Working from home is going to take extraordinary discipline with the horses still racing .

franklin2323

Immortal
If you think this thing's gonna top out at 300 cases, I've got a bridge to sell you...

of course it won't but they can't lock the country down forever. Eventually things will need to open again as is the case with the flu or anything like that. Caution for those in high risk groups

johns_reds

First Grade
That raises the possibility that in all likelihood Covid19 is not contained and is spreading in the community. But, we are not seeing large numbers of infections being reported from unknown sources either.

The reason we don't see many "unknown" sources is that the government is only testing those who have been in contact with someone who has the virus or those who have traveled overseas, so there could be 1000's of cases out there unknown because we don't have the capacity to test everyone who has flu like symptoms at the moment.

Springs09

Juniors
We can ignore that just four days ago it was 150 cases, and four days before that it was 70-odd.

And in Italy in 8 days it went from 70-odd to 1700.
Iran in 8 days from 60-odd to 2300
South Korea 50 to 1700
Spain 80 to 1200
France 100 to 1200
Germany 80 to 1000

We've done well in limiting the spread thus far.

Exactly. The furthest any 'lock down' well get is public places like schools, bars and restaurants closed. It's never going to get to the point of 'stay inside no matter what or get fined'. It takes a lot of jobs to keep everything running properly.

Frailty

First Grade
I get that but eventually life needs to go on. This uncertainty isn't going to do more damage than the actual virus itself

Eventually yes, but I dare say having a sustainable health system is much more important than a sporting competition. No one is denying there is a significant financial impact, but to suggest that this is more damaging than the virus is just absurd and dangerous.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Look things change, each day, week or month. So for now we do for NRL but behind closed doors.

Nothing will surprise me for things like, suspended the season for 2 weeks, games being postponed or cancelled, extending the season till mid October, November.

The first priority is obviously the health of players, officials, coaching staff.

There is a chance, someone will catch the disease, then the NRL will make a decision on where to go.

Financially can our game survive?

Possibly, but I'm no expert on how businesses can still be maintained in this situation.

There plenty of questions asked whether there's enough from the networks should the game be halted, what about sponsors, leagues clubs? Can clubs stay financial?

Interesting times ahead.

franklin2323

Immortal
Eventually yes, but I dare say having a sustainable health system is much more important than a sporting competition. No one is denying there is a significant financial impact, but to suggest that this is more damaging than the virus is just absurd and dangerous.

Not saying just the sport. Every industry would be feeling the uncertainty at this time it is not practical to have it go on longer than it needs to

TheFrog

Coach
What does it say? (I have a pay wall stopping me reading it)
Most commenters not in favour of public funds being used to bail RL out. A lot of AFL shills, even though they are playing to empty stadiums from next week as well, if they play at all. Still, I can't help but thinking Vlandys has made a strategic error in asking for Government money publicly, and so early in the piece.