What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

ash411

Bench
I expect them to be proactive and see what every other sporting body in the world is doing and postpone the season. But they can’t because essentially they are broke.
That's not what being proactive means. That's being reactive. Being proactive is making decisions before the conditions change.

But anyway, they 100% shouldn't suspend the season, the main reason being that this isn't the plague people are treating it as. It's dangerous to high-risk groups, but to everyone else it's less harmful than the flu.

Regardless of that, people seem to forget that the NRL is a business. For that business to survive it need to put out their product, their product being the sport of Rugby League. As long as it is able to do so (which it is right now) it need to continue putting that product out. Playing to closed stadiums seems the best way forward for now, at least until the next thing comes along that the media will obsess over and things go back to normal.

84 Baby

Referee
I think they could rejig the draw and have a split comp for a couple of months. Possibly split rounds too. If a person from one side of comp gets hit, then it doesn’t stop the other side. Buys a bit more time than an outright suspension.

84 Baby

Referee
Or they could just continue comp as is. Right now if one player goes down it only affects 2 teams and the officials for that game. But that also probably only buys you a few weeks.

Avenger

Immortal
That's not what being proactive means. That's being reactive. Being proactive is making decisions before the conditions change.

But anyway, they 100% shouldn't suspend the season, the main reason being that this isn't the plague people are treating it as. It's dangerous to high-risk groups, but to everyone else it's less harmful than the flu.

Regardless of that, people seem to forget that the NRL is a business. For that business to survive it need to put out their product, their product being the sport of Rugby League. As long as it is able to do so (which it is right now) it need to continue putting that product out. Playing to closed stadiums seems the best way forward for now, at least until the next thing comes along that the media will obsess over and things go back to normal.
Ash

The government are not going into panic mode because they think there is a risk to everyone. It’s because as you stated it’s a danger to high risk groups and the capability of our hospitals to respond. That’s what they are trying to avoid.

If our hospitals are overwhelmed by our aging population then basically like in Italy the hospital staff indirectly choose who lives and who dies. That’s why we are doing this and the government is bigger than the NRL and any business for that matter which is why they are restricting travel which would directly affect many businesses not just the requirement for the Warriors to leave and re enter our borders.

Same thing happened in China which is why they built a hospital in record time to do just one thing; and that is to treat people with corona virus.

We would be pushing shit uphill to get it to even pass an approval stage. It’s all about being able to effectively triage and treat everyone once they get to the hospital stage, nothing else.

JokerEel

Coach
I expect them to be proactive and see what every other sporting body in the world is doing and postpone the season. But they can’t because essentially they are broke.

Tell me why is every other sporting body postponing their seasons?

84 Baby

Referee
Ash

The government are not going into panic mode because they think there is a risk to everyone. It’s because as you stated it’s a danger to high risk groups and the capability of our hospitals to respond. That’s what they are trying to avoid.

If our hospitals are overwhelmed by our aging population then basically like in Italy the hospital staff indirectly choose who lives and who dies. That’s why we are doing this and the government is bigger than the NRL and any business for that matter which is why they are restricting travel which would directly affect many businesses not just the requirement for the Warriors to leave and re enter our borders.

Same thing happened in China which is why they built a hospital in record time to do just one thing; and that is to treat people with corona virus.

We would be pushing shit uphill to get it to even pass an approval stage. It’s all about being able to effectively triage and treat everyone once they get to the hospital stage, nothing else.
But you also can’t halt the economy and wait for it to pass or for a vaccine. It needs to pass through the population to allow us to build up some immunity

T-Boon

Coach
I am hoping the NRL is a bit like me. That is, slightly suspicious that this is a media beat up like the fires were and so many other things have been since the mainstream media became desperate homeless bums. I stopped believing a couple disasters ago.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I am hoping the NRL is a bit like me. That is, slightly suspicious that this is a media beat up like the fires were and so many other things have been since the mainstream media became desperate homeless bums. I stopped believing a couple disasters ago.
When the media don't get the government they wanted they go into full IT'S-A-DISASTER-AND-THE-GOVERNMENT-IS-TO-BLAME mode. Like f**king clockwork. They cause panic and then pump out the people-are-idiots headlines. But also it's the government's fault.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
When the media don't get the government they wanted they go into full IT'S-A-DISASTER-AND-THE-GOVERNMENT-IS-TO-BLAME mode. Like f**king clockwork. They cause panic and then pump out the people-are-idiots headlines. But also it's the government's fault.

The media got the exact government they wanted.

TheRam

Coach

So you want them to cut their own throats without putting up a fight?

BTW, does anyone here think that players are that much safer from the virus not playing? If they weren't playing they would still need to be part of the community, probably even more so, since most of them would probably need to go out and get a job. Also who does their day to day chores? You know like the rest of us who need to fill a tank up, buy the groceries or just meet up with friends and family.

Don't tell me that they will self isolate...oh pleeease! These guy are the fittest of the fit and feel bullet proof. The majority will carry on the way they always do and with even more time then normal, will probably only drink and party more then ever, feeling that they are on a prolonged holiday.

No the best thing the NRL could do is just keep going on. After all for these players, getting the Corona virus, would be like getting a cold or flu. If any test positive, then test all of them. As I understand it, it is a quick test and whoever tests positive, quarantine them and carry on, like you would do with any other member of the public.

I doubt if one person tested positive to it that worked at the main head office of say a major bank, that they would shut down the entire bank.

I mean where does it stop? More and more people will test positive to it. We can't just stop everything. We need to do our best but keep going.

TheRam

Coach
well they aint broke as yet but they still have to pay out to the clubs to pay players wages etc and they make most of their money on the TV rights so they want to play to a closed stadium so they can be feasible

if they stop playing they lose their TV rights income but the players are under contract so they still have to be paid, this is why they want to keep playing the games even if its to empty stadiums

No they don't. Each contract has an "act of God" clause written into it for this type of scenario. If they don't play, they don't get paid. But that still won't stop the NRL from going broke.

84 Baby

Referee
So you want them to cut their own throats without putting up a fight?

BTW, does anyone here think that players are that much safer from the virus not playing? If they weren't playing they would still need to be part of the community, probably even more so, since most of them would probably need to go out and get a job. Also who does their day to day chores? You know like the rest of us who need to fill a tank up, buy the groceries or just meet up with friends and family.

Don't tell me that they will self isolate...oh pleeease! These guy are the fittest of the fit and feel bullet proof. The majority will carry on the way they always do and with even more time then normal, will probably only drink and party more then ever, feeling that they are on a prolonged holiday.

No the best thing the NRL could do is just keep going on. After all for these players, getting the Corona virus, would be like getting a cold or flu. If any test positive, then test all of them. As I understand it, it is a quick test and whoever tests positive, quarantine them and carry on, like you would do with any other member of the public.

I doubt if one person tested positive to it that worked at the main head office of say a major bank, that they would shut down the entire bank.

I mean where does it stop? More and more people will test positive to it. We can't just stop everything. We need to do our best but keep going.
It would be about controlling spread. If a Scum player has it, they host Cows then the Cows potentially take it to NQ. Even more complex when adding in Warriors.
And you can’t just test players if one gets sick. You are throwing 500 people into a strained health system, requiring practically same day turnaround for it to be worthwhile. That’s why the system is asking for people to only get tested if you have symptoms AND reasonable connection to virus, or you have severe symptoms/risk group. And then a negative return doesn’t mean shit - they could just catch it the next day. Are you going to test all of them again the next day?
I think it’s best to continue and decide once a case pops up. Possibly look at split comp for a time

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No they don't. Each contract has an "act of God" clause written into it for this type of scenario. If they don't play, they don't get paid. But that still won't stop the NRL from going broke.

says who ?

Watmong didn't play but still got paid

Bandwagon

Staff member
But you also can’t halt the economy and wait for it to pass or for a vaccine. It needs to pass through the population to allow us to build up some immunity

This is a bit of a myth. Herd Immunity is used primarily in terms of vaccination rates and what is required to stem the spread of disease through a communty.

Covid-19 is currently thought to have a transmission rate of 2.6 ( each carrier will on average infect 2.6 people ). They have formula's for working out how much immunity is required for any given transmission rate, at 2.6 it's 61%.

So without a vaccine you are literally relying on 61% of the population contracting it and recovering, so far so good. With 25 million people in Oz, that means around 15 million people, with a mortality rate of only 1%, which is the low end of the scale from what we've seen , that's 150,000 dead Australians.

84 Baby

Referee
This is a bit of a myth. Herd Immunity is used primarily in terms of vaccination rates and what is required to stem the spread of disease through a communty.

Covid-19 is currently thought to have a transmission rate of 2.6 ( each carrier will on average infect 2.6 people ). They have formula's for working out how much immunity is required for any given transmission rate, at 2.6 it's 61%.

So without a vaccine you are literally relying on 61% of the population contracting it and recovering, so far so good. With 25 million people in Oz, that means around 15 million people, with a mortality rate of only 1%, which is the low end of the scale from what we've seen , that's 150,000 dead Australians.
That isn’t what I was saying. Herd immunity is a combination thing. The more people who are individually immune, whether vaccine or recovery, makes the overall herd less susceptible whether an individual is immune or not. The trick is to match it to resources as best as possible to not end up with bubonic plague type shit

Eelogical

Referee

As long as they're old farts, is all that matters.