What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs The Dragons

betcats

Referee
Burns to come in for Heathro and Fish Yeo Tamou and Leota cover the middle. Kikau and Martin start on the edges. We have to start Crichton somewhere also IMO.

Panthers: Expected to be without Zane Tetevano after he picked up a knee injury on the weekend. Viliame Kikau suffered a shoulder injury in the Roosters game but did recover to score a match-winning try and could start on the bench again with Kaide Ellis or Billy Burns options to come into the 17. Stephen Crichton is putting pressure on Caleb Aekins for the fullback job after impressing in a 17 minute stint in the final minutes of the game on the weekend.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/f6e796a0a89cc31971deea619afedd58

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd be getting an exemption and playing Lindsay Smith. Given we have him signed for next year injury problems are perfect time to blood him

OldPanther

Coach
Just watching the replay and I will say I think I underscored Yeo in the player ratings by 1 at least. Even when Roosters were on top he was very good forcing the line back on runs.

Luai was so quiet outside his try assist particularly the first half. Needs to work better with Cleary.

betcats

Referee
Just watching the replay and I will say I think I underscored Yeo in the player ratings by 1 at least. Even when Roosters were on top he was very good forcing the line back on runs.

Luai was so quiet outside his try assist particularly the first half. Needs to work better with Cleary.

I was thinking the same about Jerome but then he chimed in with that nice try assist. Def building their combo and Jerome was quiet but it was nice to see Nath handle it so well.

Also little point RE our first try, I think it is good example of why a half who can organise and follow a plan is so important, it doesn't replace the need for Nath to create himself but it is important for a half for sure. The try itself was a nice piece of play from Jerome and Naden but it was in part setup on the play before by attacking the part of the field that gets Teddy into the defensive line and on the far side of the ruck. Nathan sets up a big backline play an the open side, ball goes to Jerome on the short side and he slides through a perfect grubber and the best fullback in the game is nowhere to be seen.

OldPanther

Coach
I was thinking the same about Jerome but then he chimed in with that nice try assist. Def building their combo and Jerome was quiet but it was nice to see Nath handle it so well.

Also little point RE our first try, I think it is good example of why a half who can organise and follow a plan is so important, it doesn't replace the need for Nath to create himself but it is important for a half for sure. The try itself was a nice piece of play from Jerome and Naden but it was in part setup on the play before by attacking the part of the field that gets Teddy into the defensive line and on the far side of the ruck. Nathan sets up a big backline play an the open side, ball goes to Jerome on the short side and he slides through a perfect grubber and the best fullback in the game is nowhere to be seen.

Yeah they could've just been making sure Nathan got what he wanted when he wanted. If it takes a bit to work out the balance it makes sense.

Couldn't agree with the second paragraph more. Nathan organised things well. He even had a little trick here and there to compliment the robotic nature people talk about with the little flick inside to Martin and the 40/20.

betcats

Referee
Yeah they could've just been making sure Nathan got what he wanted when he wanted. If it takes a bit to work out the balance it makes sense.

Couldn't agree with the second paragraph more. Nathan organised things well. He even had a little trick here and there to compliment the robotic nature people talk about with the little flick inside to Martin and the 40/20.

Two years ago I argued till I was blue in the face against signing him to a big contract now though I am pretty comfortable with it after the back end of last year and his confident start to they year, he is coming along very nicely.

OldPanther

Coach
Two years ago I argued till I was blue in the face against signing him to a big contract now though I am pretty comfortable with it after the back end of last year and his confident start to they year, he is coming along very nicely.

He definitely looks comfortable in first grade improving all the time. Maybe @franklin2323 was right about our new development systems.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Luai did some nice things. I thought he combined well with Nathan.
His pinpoint kick for Naden, a force drop out and one thing the stats won't show. He shut Manu down in with an important jolting tackle, just as Manu was looking dangerous.
Still a work in progress but he was better than the trial match against Parramatta.

Zampaa

Juniors
Aitken in 63 minutes,
14 runs, 71 Meters, 1 offload, 2 tackles, 1 missed, 0 errors, 0 tackle breaks, 0 attacking stats, 9 kick returns, and 29 kick return Meters.
Chrighton in 17 minutes,
8 runs, 76 Meters, 1 try, 1 tackle break, 2 errors, 1 tackle, 0 missed, 3 kick returns, 33 return Meters, 1 try, and some huge pressure catches, off the short drop out and bombs when we were just holding on.

I don't know how you can start aitken, when he just didn't do anything.

You can almost guarantee that Aitken wouldn't have caught all of the pressure catches in the final 15, as he just doesn't have the physical presence, and I doubt he would have scored the try off the Mansour kick either, he doesn't push through the middle anywhere near enough for a fullback.

betcats

Referee
Aitken in 63 minutes,
14 runs, 71 Meters, 1 offload, 2 tackles, 1 missed, 0 errors, 0 tackle breaks, 0 attacking stats, 9 kick returns, and 29 kick return Meters.
Chrighton in 17 minutes,
8 runs, 76 Meters, 1 try, 1 tackle break, 2 errors, 1 tackle, 0 missed, 3 kick returns, 33 return Meters, 1 try, and some huge pressure catches, off the short drop out and bombs when we were just holding on.

You can almost guarantee that Aitken wouldn't have caught all of the pressure catches in the final 15, as he just doesn't have the physical presence, and I doubt he would have scored the try off the Mansour kick either, he doesn't push through the middle anywhere near enough for a fullback.

Yep well said, the numbers are hard to argue with. Tgey have same amount of nrl games and Crichton is clearly the better player. It’s tough on Aekins but you pick the best team possible at this level you don’t just stick with a guy cause he didn’t do anything wrong if there is a better option

soc123_au

Staff member
Dragons have plenty of points in them if they dont bomb them on the last pass. I think our defence is a bit more staunch than last year though, so hopefully the boys aim up. If they turn up ready to fight hard we should win here, but even a bit of complacency & it will be a long night.

Zampaa

Juniors
Dragons have plenty of points in them if they dont bomb them on the last pass. I think our defence is a bit more staunch than last year though, so hopefully the boys aim up. If they turn up ready to fight hard we should win here, but even a bit of complacency & it will be a long night.

They look alright in attack, but they scored a penalty try, and off a Thompson error, and Lomax just picked the ball up, ran 10 Meters untouched and scored, which isn't impressive.

soc123_au

Staff member
They look alright in attack, but they scored a penalty try, and off a Thompson error, and Lomax just picked the ball up, ran 10 Meters untouched and scored, which isn't impressive.

They all count. I was more referring to the ones they f**ked up though. They created plenty of chances.

franklin2323

Immortal
Despite the public restrictions Panthers is still open for those wanting to help the club. Of course if health allows the risk

franklin2323

Immortal
Aitken in 63 minutes,
Chrighton in 17 minutes,

That was my views on Aekins. Solid but nothing special. Whole game changed when Crichton came on

martielang

Bench
Aitken in 63 minutes,
Chrighton in 17 minutes,

So you can guarantee the guy who didn’t drop a high ball all game or make an error all game would of made an error when the guy who made 2 errors (in 15 minutes) didn’t? .... What?

Both did well. The job Aitken did is being very much under appreciated imo.

Latest posts